Vintage prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was at Barnes and Noble today and decided to pick up a Beckett vintage magazine. It is the first Beckett I have bought in years. I was very surprised at how much the vintage stuff is going up in value. It has been quite a while since I have seen that many up arrows in a Beckett. A lot of the cards from the '60's are really going up in value. I guess it is a case of supply and demand. Or maybe the fact that some of the graded cards from the 60's and 70's are probably bringing big money.

Anybody have any other thoughts as to why this stuff seems to be increasing in value so much?

I have noticed that as well to bad i got rid of about 70 percent of my vintage lol slowly still working on the 66 topps set

I was not aware that vintage has been going up recently. I'm happy that it is however.

I think there are several reasons for this price increase though. Many collectors these days are in their 50s, 60s and 70s and the cards from their childhood hold great nostalgic value. This demo also has more disposable income so if they are going to spend it on cards, the majority are going to spend it on the cards from their childhood. The younger generation is not into cards or collecting of any kind since they have their smart devices with anything they want at their fingertips. Throw in the fact that todays cards are extremely confusing with all the variations of the same card and the manufactured scarcity today's cards can be considered somewhat of a scam. Another problem with today's cards are only the current year's products seem to interest anyone and any cards 2 or 3 years old seem to garner almost no interest from collectors. Look at this site for instance. if you are not into 2020 or 2019 products you will have problems making any trades.

The vintage cards will always have value. The newer stuff that you pay an arm and a leg for today will be getting dumped for pennies on the dollar tomorrow.

I was at a card show two years ago two kids next to me ask why i was buying an old has been when trout was the man i told them they would never understand, it was a 1966 willie mays

I was at a card show two years ago two kids next to me ask why i was buying an old has been when trout was the man i told them they would never understand, it was a 1966 willie mays

Card #1 in the 1966 Topps set, no less!

It is good to hear that kids were buying cards though. That used to be SOP for young boys, now it is a rarity.

I just recently began selling on Sportlots. I just sold a lot of 31 1975 Topps baseball commons in EX condition for $6.50 plus shipping. Not a lion’s share granted, but considering that I bought a similar lot two years ago for less than half that, I’d say that vintage is going up in value.

I have beckett online. Lots of movement in early to mid 70's cards in the past year also.

This is very true. I just picked up a 1971 Topps Thurman Munson at a collectibles store. They have cards but do not specialize in them. Their prices were quite low and I think it is because they do not keep up with the guide. They have a 1972 Roberto Clemente that I am hoping will be there when all this virus stuff is done and things kind of get back to normal. I am hoping that it is still there because it is listed at 25.00 and I think it books around 80.00 now.

This is very true. I just picked up a 1971 Topps Thurman Munson at a collectibles store. They have cards but do not specialize in them. Their prices were quite low and I think it is because they do not keep up with the guide. They have a 1972 Roberto Clemente that I am hoping will be there when all this virus stuff is done and things kind of get back to normal. I am hoping that it is still there because it is listed at 25.00 and I think it books around 80.00 now.

In my 2015 Baseball Beckett's Plus the regular 1972 Clemente #309 books at $50 and the In Action Clemente #310 books at $25. If the regular card is now $80, that sure shot up in price in the last 5 years.