Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: It's official - Schools closed in our area for the remainder of the year

  1. #1

    It's official - Schools closed in our area for the remainder of the year

    Received notification this afternoon that schools in our area (Nebraska) will remain closed for the remainder of the year. HS students will be provided on-line enrichments activities and the elementary students enrichment activities in packets as well as some on-line activities. Uncharted territory for all. Up to this point we've been instructed that we cannot "teach" anything new, only review and enrichment from previous lessons. Not sure how the latest announcement will change things if at all.

    For all of the parents out there just know that we would much rather be in the classroom and working with your children on a daily basis vs what we are going to be trying for these last 2 months of the year. Know that all of us in the education profession will be doing our very best to work through this and provide as many valuable learning opportunities for all that we possibly can.

    Best wishes to all and stay safe

    Rick
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

  2. #2
    Our schools were supposed to re-open Monday, but they added another two weeks, so now they are scheduled to re-open April 13th, although I am a bit skeptical of that happening.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  3. #3
    I wonder how this affects all students moving onto the next grade, particularly Seniors in high school. Will we be having a generation that is all held back a year, or moved ahead without proper completion of the previous year? My girls are 6 and 4, so they are young enough for this not to affect them I hope, but those that have older kids, I see this potentially being a problem. I'm not in the educator world, so I'm sure there is a bigger plan.....I hope? Any insight Rick?

    Billy

  4. #4
    Obviously not an easy situation from either end - teacher/student. Currently most schools are doing a combination of paper/pencil packets that are individually prepared for each class as well as trying to integrate technology and on-line lessons & instruction. There are problems and concerns with both. Biggest problem/concern are in the cases when there is a lack of access to technology or internet access.
    Obviously, not everything will be covered by this format but as it stands now it appears that students will be advanced through to the next level provided they were doing acceptable work at the time of the stoppage.
    Not sure if this addressed your questions. All of us in the education world just wish we could be back in our classroom with our students.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chavezforprez View Post
    I wonder how this affects all students moving onto the next grade, particularly Seniors in high school. Will we be having a generation that is all held back a year, or moved ahead without proper completion of the previous year? My girls are 6 and 4, so they are young enough for this not to affect them I hope, but those that have older kids, I see this potentially being a problem. I'm not in the educator world, so I'm sure there is a bigger plan.....I hope? Any insight Rick?

    Billy
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

  5. #5
    Our initial stoppage was for 3 weeks. One week later it was switched to done for the year. Still teaching via biweekly packets picked up or sent to the kids and technology.

    Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    Our schools were supposed to re-open Monday, but they added another two weeks, so now they are scheduled to re-open April 13th, although I am a bit skeptical of that happening.
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

  6. #6
    Thanks for the insight. It's a tough situation for both sides. Especially if a child wasn't up on their grades and have to be held back. Things can change in three months or so, but those kids won't get that fair shot. Good luck to all Educators as we continue to step into the these unknown and uncharted times.

    On a side note, my wife is a nurse and her hospital barely has enough proper PPE to do their jobs without putting themselves at risk......


  7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    4,902





    #7
    Keep in mind that this school scenario happened for most starting March, 3/4 of the school year is now behind us, so the concerns about holding students back are abated by what Rick said. The high school I teach is doing the same, a combination of books and packets (left at a designated drop off point and time) as well as online distant teaching/ learning. We issued chrome books and are buying hotspots for those w/out internet.
    There is a lot of work for us teachers to create something in place for the first time, but many of us saw it coming and got out ahead of the curve. I have some IS (independent studies) students, so for them it's not that big of a deal, they have not been doing the direct instruction; still, this new situation is not an ideal way to teach and learn, but we will get through it....
    Last edited by t.rooster; 03-28-2020 at 05:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Thanks for the perspective, teachers. We appreciate how creative you are being for our kids.

    As the parents of 4th graders who love school, this is really hard for all of us. For California, we're closed until May 1st for now. I'm hoping that we've flatten the curve sufficiently that we can get back for May, but not optimistic.

    Keep safe everyone!

  9. #9
    Tough times for all. Best wishes for you and especially your wife as we work through these difficult times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chavezforprez View Post
    Thanks for the insight. It's a tough situation for both sides. Especially if a child wasn't up on their grades and have to be held back. Things can change in three months or so, but those kids won't get that fair shot. Good luck to all Educators as we continue to step into the these unknown and uncharted times.

    On a side note, my wife is a nurse and her hospital barely has enough proper PPE to do their jobs without putting themselves at risk......
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

  10. #10
    I actually teach 4th grade. (37 years) I love my job! I don't enjoy the scenario we are currently dealing with but as stated by t.rooster - we will get through it and we are all working to make the best out of a very challenging situation.
    Best wishes to all. Stay safe!

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtfan View Post
    Thanks for the perspective, teachers. We appreciate how creative you are being for our kids.

    As the parents of 4th graders who love school, this is really hard for all of us. For California, we're closed until May 1st for now. I'm hoping that we've flatten the curve sufficiently that we can get back for May, but not optimistic.

    Keep safe everyone!
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

  11. #11
    The schools in the Memphis/Shelby county area are all closed and have been for quite awhile..........The city/county parks are closed too because we were featured on CNN with one of our downtown parks pack with people not keeping their safe distances.........So the mayor got mad and sent the cops out to clear the public spaces..........Stupid, stupid, crap..........
    mikekestner.com/mm86

    Would like to make trades worthy of the BB mailer........Trying to avoid PWE trades......

  12. #12
    I teach 7th grade ELA and 8th grade Social Studies. This is definitely uncharted waters here. The governor recently announced that all schools are now closed until April 17th at which point the situation will be re-evaluated. I’m only giving school work through Google Classroom with some videos to supplement this. I am not really teaching at this point; it feels more like I’m just assigning review work. I definitely miss being in the classroom.

    What is frustrating that only about half the kids are completing the work. We here also give kids Chromebooks but many do not have access, or reliable access, to the internet. Also, we have many kids who complete little work when they were in school. It’s going to be near impossible to get them to get it done under these circumstances. The skills gap I already see in the classroom will only widen to a chasm the longer we are not in school.

    However, all in all I’m thankful for still drawing a paycheck. I know too many who have been laid off recently.

  13. #13
    I agree that the biggest frustration is that there is absolutely zero accountability on the part of the student/parent. You spend hours trying to prepare something that you feel is viable and necessary for them and some - sometimes many, don't even attempt to do it.

    I'm also thankful about still being paid. Our state legislature created a bill during the Spanish Flu epidemic that stated if our state was ever in another pandemic situation that all teachers would still be paid. Who would have ever thought that a 100 year old law that was only used once would ever be needed again.
    Stay safe!


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo374 View Post
    I teach 7th grade ELA and 8th grade Social Studies. This is definitely uncharted waters here. The governor recently announced that all schools are now closed until April 17th at which point the situation will be re-evaluated. I’m only giving school work through Google Classroom with some videos to supplement this. I am not really teaching at this point; it feels more like I’m just assigning review work. I definitely miss being in the classroom.

    What is frustrating that only about half the kids are completing the work. We here also give kids Chromebooks but many do not have access, or reliable access, to the internet. Also, we have many kids who complete little work when they were in school. It’s going to be near impossible to get them to get it done under these circumstances. The skills gap I already see in the classroom will only widen to a chasm the longer we are not in school.

    However, all in all I’m thankful for still drawing a paycheck. I know too many who have been laid off recently.
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.


  14. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    4,902





    #14
    Yes... there will be a widening chasm of those that try and those that don't or that give up easily. But, I think, that this is a great time for grade school age children to really use this time with their parents for quality time-- doing things together, one-on-one walks and activities, bonding time. Kids are resilient and school will always be there. It sounds funny for an educator to say this, but what kids really are looking for is that reassurance from their adults in this highly anxious time.
    Rick, I remember my stint as an environmental educator for a residential program. We would get grade schoolers for 3-4 days and they would come alive in the woods. From that period on, my favorite age group was 3rd and 4th graders, but especially 3rd graders because they knew enough and weren't concerned about it to be goofy and funny at their own expense and in a good way.

  15. #15
    I agree that a majority of our youth will overcome this time a lot easier than many/most adults. Love the one on one time that I get to spend with students in the classroom. There just isn't enough time and opportunities to have more of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by t.rooster View Post
    Yes... there will be a widening chasm of those that try and those that don't or that give up easily. But, I think, that this is a great time for grade school age children to really use this time with their parents for quality time-- doing things together, one-on-one walks and activities, bonding time. Kids are resilient and school will always be there. It sounds funny for an educator to say this, but what kids really are looking for is that reassurance from their adults in this highly anxious time.
    Rick, I remember my stint as an environmental educator for a residential program. We would get grade schoolers for 3-4 days and they would come alive in the woods. From that period on, my favorite age group was 3rd and 4th graders, but especially 3rd graders because they knew enough and weren't concerned about it to be goofy and funny at their own expense and in a good way.
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

    Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •