Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's official - Schools closed in our area for the remainder of the year

Online learning started today for our school district. Not the greatest, but it is a start, and at least it is something. Will be curious how many kids actually follow through and do the assignments.

Doesn't help matters that schools are shut down "indefinitely" now...I think the kids (and parents) would be a lot more enthusiastic if there was a light at the end of the tunnel, IE, and end date!
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

I have always thought teachers were underpaid....but this time at home is confirming that thought!

Was just helping my son with his "homework" for the day - I had to google a tutorial so that I was correct in how I helped him. After going through the tutorial and getting everything written out on scratch paper, we worked through the problems. It took the better part of 30 minutes for us to come to an understanding that I was correct in how I solved the problems. I asked him if he argued with his teacher this long every time they disagreed on a solution - just nodded and said, yup, every time.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

BIG SMILEY FACE!!

PS
    From all the teachers to all the parents…. Thanks for caring and putting in the time to help your children and to help us during this unique set of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    I have always thought teachers were underpaid....but this time at home is confirming that thought!

Was just helping my son with his "homework" for the day - I had to google a tutorial so that I was correct in how I helped him. After going through the tutorial and getting everything written out on scratch paper, we worked through the problems. It took the better part of 30 minutes for us to come to an understanding that I was correct in how I solved the problems. I asked him if he argued with his teacher this long every time they disagreed on a solution - just nodded and said, yup, every time.
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

Pennsylvania has now officially shut down schools for the remainder of the year.

We were supposed to be playing our third baseball tournament of the year next weekend, and that has already been cancelled. We haven't been on the field as a team since March 15th......

Kirby Puckett havelist:

here in West Allis, the West Allis West Milwaukee school district had planned on being out until the day after Easter, Gov. Evers sent out a stay at home until the end of April, but on friday the 3rd we got an email that all extra curricular and special activities including sports, band concerts, and prom have been cancelled with the exception of HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION. My oldest is a Senior this year. She had a dress and date for prom, is in band and was looking forward to the May concert where the seniors get awards from the teacher. So she is bummed, but still holding out hope for graduation.
    "Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"Kirby Puckett at his retirement speech July 16th 1996

Kirby Puckett Haves 301/2363 12.73 %

Autograph's of Players seen in person 121/969 12.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbyfan34 View Post
    here in West Allis, the West Allis West Milwaukee school district had planned on being out until the day after Easter, Gov. Evers sent out a stay at home until the end of April, but on friday the 3rd we got an email that all extra curricular and special activities including sports, band concerts, and prom have been cancelled with the exception of HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION. My oldest is a Senior this year. She had a dress and date for prom, is in band and was looking forward to the May concert where the seniors get awards from the teacher. So she is bummed, but still holding out hope for graduation.
    Seniors, both in college & high school -- absolutely feel horrible for all of them. I am hoping that Scott Van Pelt extends his #seniornight segment for another month or so to continue giving props to all the teams that were doing amazing things in high school and college and had their seasons shut down. As of right now, I have no clue if my son will get to play any baseball this season.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

All the schools in Fresno are closed for the year.....Clovis is still hoping to reopen in May. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

Interesting to hear about how everyone is dealing with this and unfortunately how everyone is being effected.

I just saw on a local news station yesterday where Iowa has rescheduled all of their spring sports for a starting date and state competitions. I believe they are being a little too optimistic. I copied this from their Athletic Ass. web site.

Sport
    First Practice First Competition Postseason Lead-Up State Competition
    Track & Field
    May 1 May 4 May 28 June 4-6
    Golf
    May 1 May 4 May 29 June 11-12

Soccer
    May 1 May 8 June 8, 10, 12 June 15, 17, 19

Tennis was also included in their schedule.

https://www.iahsaa.org/march-16-2020...ng-activities/
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,059 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010

Birthdays for youngsters, graduations of all kinds, it is an especially cruel time for these things.... I would be really surprised to hear April will be available for graduations. At the high school I teach the superintendent has hinted at doing remote graduations, how unfortunate.
    '70s set builder
    Collecting prospects & RCs
    TTM & IP grapher

I agree that it is especially difficult for the seniors who are missing out on so many different opportunities and to the younger children who don't understand why parents, grandparents etc. can't congregate and celebrate special events like we are used to celebrating them.

Quote Originally Posted by t.rooster View Post
    Birthdays for youngsters, graduations of all kinds, it is an especially cruel time for these things.... I would be really surprised to hear April will be available for graduations. At the high school I teach the superintendent has hinted at doing remote graduations, how unfortunate.
    2005 Zenith

Quote Originally Posted by t.rooster View Post
    Yeah original graduation rate is June 7th. They do have an alternative date in mid July also. And to think I was stressed as a Senior because of the Spector of the draft being reinstated due to the Gulf War. Definitely puts things in perspective.
    "Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"Kirby Puckett at his retirement speech July 16th 1996

Kirby Puckett Haves 301/2363 12.73 %

Autograph's of Players seen in person 121/969 12.48%

12. Join Date
    Nov 2010

Yeah original graduation rate is June 7th. They do have an alternative date in mid July also. And to think I was stressed as a Senior because of the Spector of the draft being reinstated due to the Gulf War. Definitely puts things in perspective.
    Being drafted for the Gulf War seems plenty stressful to me....
    '70s set builder
    Collecting prospects & RCs
    TTM & IP grapher