A Trade is A Trade, until it's not? Feedback needed....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t.rooster

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Bench members, I have an issue I would like feedback from you on. Recently, I made a trade here. The trader quoted me the bv for the card to be traded for and we agreed on a trade. Cards were sent out and the trade was made. About two weeks go by and the trader says the bv is twice what he quoted me for and wants to annul the trade. Is this trade not done, or does a trader have the right to change their mind if they made a mistake? Your input is appreciated...

Have you both already received? If so, deal is done.

If the other trader actually has not sent, well, he has the right to change his mind, though it's a pretty ****** thing to do. Most collectors are stand up people and wouldn't do something like this, rather, they would congratulate on being early on snagging the card just as the value went up.

Here is what i'm thinking when the trade was made the BV at the time was what he quoted you..but 2 weeks later the card went up in BV my thoughts the trade is done and completed you have no obligation to do anything.

If both agree, then the trade is done. Values fluctuate every day.

IF there is an issue send me a PM with the trade info and I will get involved.

Did you send? Did the other trader send? Please give me all of the details of the trade and the other trader.

Thanks,

Usually the trade is locked in as soon as both traders agree in trade manager. Since it is not around right now it is a done deal as soon as both exchange addresses. You owe him/her nothing more. That said if you have something that they are looking for you could be nice and send a bonus if you want to and have something they need that you dont mind parting with but let me stress, you do not owe them anything more.

Not a lawyer here, but if both ends were met, which it sounds like, then the cards you traded for are your property...........Seems like a case of traders remorse............

I agree that if the trade was agreed upon both parties it is the same as posting it on the trade manager.

PS
If anyone disagrees PLMK as I would like to renig on the 2010 Bowman Platinum Mike Trout auto I traded when it was listed at $60. : )

Last edited:
I agree that if the trade was agreed upon both parties it is the same as posting it on the trade manager.

PS
If anyone disagrees PLMK as I would like to renig on the 2010 Bowman Platinum Mike Trout auto I traded when it was listed at $60. : (

We've all done that if you've been on here long enough!

Here is what i'm thinking when the trade was made the BV at the time was what he quoted you..but 2 weeks later the card went up in BV my thoughts the trade is done and completed you have no obligation to do anything.

I agree with that scenario but if an honest mistake was made in pricing then I think the trader that benefited from the pricing error should make good. If I traded you a $50 Dan Marino RC but mistakenly said it was $100 would it be OK for me to not make good on the difference? I think not. However if shortly after the trade was finished the $50 Marino dropped to $25 the trade is a done deal.

Have you both already received? If so, deal is done.

If the other trader actually has not sent, well, he has the right to change his mind, though it's a pretty ****** thing to do. Most collectors are stand up people and wouldn't do something like this, rather, they would congratulate on being early on snagging the card just as the value went up.

I think this sums it up nicely. We have all made a trade we regret - it happens.

Sometimes traders don't know what cards they have. Say the said card is a some type of parallel version and the original owner didn't know until after they sent it out. That would constitute some intervention in my opinion, becasue the individual didn't know what they had. This is where the other trader steps in and educates the other trader on what they had. I for one, would be willing to even up the trade, but if the card just jumped in value due to a new issue of beckett coming out two weeks later, then it's a closed deal. Like others have said, we have all traded away cards that have jumped in value at some point and wish we would have kept it a little longer. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this is a hobby is also about educating new and old traders alike. None of us no everything about this hobby or about every card that is released.

My biggest regret was a 2009-10 Certified Steph Curry Auto/Jersey Rookie BV $40 or $60 at the time of the trade. Fast forward a short time later and the card is now $500 I believe.

Billy

thank you traders for your input.... which brings up a great topic to discuss farther:
What is a trade you regretted terribly after you had made the trade?
and
What trade did you benefit greatly from?

thank you traders for your input.... which brings up a great topic to discuss farther:
What is a trade you regretted terribly after you had made the trade?
and
What trade did you benefit greatly from?

Rooster, you should start a new topic on best and worst trades since it could get confusing on this thread changing topics midstream. My best/worst trade is actually hilarious and in fact the same trade!