2020 card issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm not into newer cards but I am wondering if the Corona virus situation will make this year's cards much more scarce? I cannot imagine card companies are still printing cards since nothing quite says "non essential" more than "sports cards" does. Plus, a lot of manufacturing facilities are transitioning into more essential items like masks and ventilators. I wonder if this will make this year's issues much more scarce than other recent years? Any thoughts on this?

Just saw something on Beckett this week that the facility in Texas was shut down, which will lead to delays in the topps products later in the year

Just saw something on Beckett this week that the facility in Texas was shut down, which will lead to delays in the topps products later in the year[/QUO

I wonder about the plant in Duryea, Pa (assuming there is still one there) with the virus really ravaging the Northeast?

What makes this situation interesting is if there is a shortage of certain products it is for a particular reason, in this case the virus pandemic. When Topps short printed their high numbers back in the day it was not to purposely create a scarce product but rather was a legitimate business decision because of lower demand for a late season product. Today card companies actually artificially manufacture scarcity with SPs and serial numbered cards. But if this year's products are scarce it will be for a legitimate reason and would make their potential higher value more legit in my opinion..

Rumor is that Topps series II will still be releasing in June. Normally there are some decent RC's in series II that got called up early in the season - don't think they would be able to make that happen if they intend on keeping the release date.

Which than begs the question - what do they do with Update?? Have to assume that it would be loaded with RC's?? I mentioned in another thread that series II jumbos are pre-selling right now at $165/box, which seems completely outrageous, especially since there is no clue what the checklist will look like.