Willie McGee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

You're right, no cards post 1994 which is strange.......From 1995 to 1999 he was a .279 hitter and averaged about 100 games a year.........QC at Topps is sketchy at best.........This is a prime example...........Mike

Like others have said the most likely reason was not signing with Topps. A few other guys refused to sign with Topps inclluding Joe Namath and Earl Campbell in football. Namath's last card was 1973 even though he played until 1977. He had no other cards by any other company printed in that time period. Earl Campbell only had cards for Topps in 1979 and only appeared in Marketcom cards after that. I think Campell has 4 cards in the 1979 Topps set (his regular card, team checklist. League Leaders and Record Breakers card) and none after that outside of the Marketcom cards.

I never knew that happened with McGee. Intereting.

Last edited:
I want to say Alex Rodriguez had a similar situation when he first started playing when I began collecting again..........I always thought he was recto.........

I want to say Alex Rodriguez had a similar situation when he first started playing when I began collecting again..........I always thought he was recto.........

Had to do with the USA Team as a youngest...that turn him against Topps. Believe in order for him to play on the USA Team. He had to sign a contact with Topps and he refused to do so......and that is why he never signed with them for a long time! Best regards, David PS he was right.

Last edited: