2010 Topps U&H Gold SPs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

enjoyale81

Pro
5.00 star(s)
There are some golds /2010 that end for ridiculous prices...is there a story out about these? Are there SP ones?

I do the topps baseball black and gold parallel sets each year so i pay attention to the trends and what is what when it comes to these cards. i have over 200,000 2001-2011 topps golds and over 14,000 2003-2011 topps black parallels.

now, to answer your question, yes! in 2010 topps update golds, these #s are almost impossible to find:

28 bill hall
29 livan hernandez
31 corey patterson
96 john bowker
117 martin prado does not exist*
248 matt harrison
251 jake arrieta
253 mike minor
254 chris perez
256 mike gonzalez
258 dana eveland
259 yadier molina
260 andre ethier
261 jason vargas
262 rob johnson
263 randy winn

*(nobody has ever seen this one so the hobby assumes topps never made it! i will try calling topps this week to find out what they know, if anything!)

i have seen maybe 10 or less of each of these cards listed on ebay and i scan ebay daily for them! the bowker i have seen 3 of, none of the prado 117. the rest about 10 each. so, they are tough right now. i have not completed my first set yet, still need 5 cards! i do at least two sets of each topps baseball series.

now, i would not panic about these short-printed, short-prints. the same thing happened in 2004 with some series 2 golds. one was the troy percival and one was the markakis/loewen gold. since the initial 6 months or so, when there were about 6 golds nobody could find, they started turning up. until now, i have put together 5 complete 2004 topps gold sets including those tough golds. i also now have 13 of the percivals. only one markakis/loewen gold though, i believe because of markakis' popularity, not because the card is truly rare.

so, if i were you, do as i am doing. be vigilant and ask other traders for the ones you need. heck, i would trade you my dups if you get any dups! also, just wait it out. they are out there some place maybe sitting in unopened cases in a warehouse somewhere and when they get opened, the market will flood with these rarities. eventually, anyone who wants them, will find them. i believe this is true!

i hope this helps you out a bit! just don't pay the $50+ prices on ebay. it is a fad. the prices will come down as more are found. trust me on this one! remember, topps made 2010 of each of these. they have to be somewhere!

i will update this thread after i talk to a topps rep this week and see what they know! take care and have a great week and happy collecting!

I do the topps baseball black and gold parallel sets each year so i pay attention to the trends and what is what when it comes to these cards. i have over 200,000 2001-2011 topps golds and over 14,000 2003-2011 topps black parallels.

now, to answer your question, yes! in 2010 topps update golds, these #s are almost impossible to find:

28 bill hall
29 livan hernandez
31 corey patterson
96 john bowker
248 matt harrison
251 jake arrieta
253 mike minor
254 chris perez
256 mike gonzalez
258 dana eveland
259 yadier molina
260 andre ethier
261 jason vargas
262 rob johnson
263 randy winn

*(nobody has ever seen this one so the hobby assumes topps never made it! i will try calling topps this week to find out what they know, if anything!)

i have seen maybe 10 or less of each of these cards listed on ebay and i scan ebay daily for them! the bowker i have seen 3 of, none of the prado 117. the rest about 10 each. so, they are tough right now. i have not completed my first set yet, still need 5 cards! i do at least two sets of each topps baseball series.

now, i would not panic about these short-printed, short-prints. the same thing happened in 2004 with some series 2 golds. one was the troy percival and one was the markakis/loewen gold. since the initial 6 months or so, when there were about 6 golds nobody could find, they started turning up. until now, i have put together 5 complete 2004 topps gold sets including those tough golds. i also now have 13 of the percivals. only one markakis/loewen gold though, i believe because of markakis' popularity, not because the card is truly rare.

so, if i were you, do as i am doing. be vigilant and ask other traders for the ones you need. heck, i would trade you my dups if you get any dups! also, just wait it out. they are out there some place maybe sitting in unopened cases in a warehouse somewhere and when they get opened, the market will flood with these rarities. eventually, anyone who wants them, will find them. i believe this is true!

i hope this helps you out a bit! just don't pay the $50+ prices on ebay. it is a fad. the prices will come down as more are found. trust me on this one! remember, topps made 2010 of each of these. they have to be somewhere!

i will update this thread after i talk to a topps rep this week and see what they know! take care and have a great week and happy collecting!

Wow, I have the #28 Bill Hall Gold and saw that one ended for $51 on ebay! Might have to consider selling that one!

28 bill hall
29 livan hernandez
31 corey patterson
96 john bowker
248 matt harrison
251 jake arrieta
253 mike minor
254 chris perez
256 mike gonzalez
258 dana eveland
259 yadier molina
260 andre ethier
261 jason vargas
262 rob johnson
263 randy winn

Great post. Thanks for the information.

yeah, thank you! I'm not collecting the set, just thought it was incredible what they're going for. I also wanted to make sure I wasn't sitting on gold! (harhar).

There are also some people saying that these might have been destroyed/damaged during the production process, and therefore not released...have you heard anything like that?

Last edited:
Just a quick update; I contacted Topps and, as is their norm, they don't seem to care. They have not heard a word about these cards being short-printed, short prints. They say they will monitor the situation. So, if any of you will please call them at: (800) 489-9149 and let them know there are these 2010 Topps Gold serial #d parallel #s that are nearly impossible to find and what can they do to rectify the situation. Otherwise, maybe collectors who are too frustrated that they cannot complete this set, may stop doing the sets in the future!

Again, the #s are:
28 bill hall
29 livan hernandez
31 corey patterson
96 john bowker
248 matt harrison
251 jake arrieta
253 mike minor
254 chris perez
256 mike gonzalez
258 dana eveland
259 yadier molina
260 andre ethier
261 jason vargas
262 rob johnson
263 randy winn

Tell Topps you would like to finish your set but cannot because these #s are either non-existent or too short-printed to afford for over $50 each! Let's see if they dig up information for you that I did not get!

Good luck and thanks for your help!

Thanks, that was some good info I was not aware of. I am doing the set and sure enough, I only had one of the tough ones you mentioned (248 M. Harrison, which I believe I pulled from a retail pack.)
This reminds me of the 2008 Topps Heritage Chrome 285 Jerry Hairston Jr, which were supposedly almost all destroyed in the printing process.

I put together the 2001 Topps Gold set (took me about eight years). There were about a dozen that were really hard to find in that set, too. They sold 10x BV and it cost me down the stretch. I can't recall the exact numbers.

Any chance anyone has an extra of this one?

2006 Topps Mantle Collection Gold (2001) Mickey Mantle #/577

I want to slip it into my 2001 Topps Gold set to fill in the gap left out by the intentionally missing # 7 card (I hated that Topps did that every year for awhile as if it were actually showing honor to Mantle!). Dorks.

I've only been looking for this gold card for the last few years (I have an Ebay email alert) but I've never seen one on Evil Bay! Dang Mantle collectors!

Michael

Last edited:
Update: I heard through a Topps vendor that he contacted a Topps rep directly and was told that these short prints were indeed not printed in the 2010 amount they were supposed to be. somehow the presses destroyed these and there are believed to be less than 200 of each only. the Bowker looks even tougher and there is indeed, no #117 Prado. I still need a few of these so if anyone has any of these, I am willing to trade heavily in your favor anytime!

28 bill hall
29 livan hernandez
31 corey patterson
96 john bowker
248 matt harrison
251 jake arrieta
253 mike minor
254 chris perez
256 mike gonzalez
258 dana eveland
259 yadier molina
260 andre ethier
261 jason vargas
262 rob johnson
263 randy winn

I have 4 of these Mantle golds!

I have four of these Mantle 2001 topps golds #/577 so I could spare one in a trade if you have something I can really use! What golds do you have? Also, do you have any of these 2010 Topps Update Gold sps? I would make it worth your while if you do! PLMK thnx!

PM Sent also!

I put together the 2001 Topps Gold set (took me about eight years). There were about a dozen that were really hard to find in that set, too. They sold 10x BV and it cost me down the stretch. I can't recall the exact numbers.

Any chance anyone has an extra of this one?

2006 Topps Mantle Collection Gold (2001) Mickey Mantle #/577

I want to slip it into my 2001 Topps Gold set to fill in the gap left out by the intentionally missing # 7 card (I hated that Topps did that every year for awhile as if it were actually showing honor to Mantle!). Dorks.

I've only been looking for this gold card for the last few years (I have an Ebay email alert) but I've never seen one on Evil Bay! Dang Mantle collectors!

Michael