Hmm...Did I get a counterfeit card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

potvin48

All-Star
4.90 star(s)
So, I just got what I thought to be my 2009 Bowmn Red 1/1 Marlon Byrd...
Then I went to scan everything and noticed that the 1/1 stamps are different...see picture here:
byrd.jpg

I'm thinking I have a fake here...What do you guys think? The red 1/1 font looks fatter than the Superfractor (which I know is legit). the slash is also at a different angle...

Any thoughts? Should I contact the seller and question him?

Sandman right.....someone could easily stamp one of the unnumbered red cards...There should some type of print or mark on the unnumbered cards! Best regards, David

I have the Xavier Nady 2009 Bowman Red 1/1 and the stamp looks more like the Superfractor and the JD Drew linked to on COMC than your Red 1/1 stamp. I bought it off ebay so I am not 100% sure it's real, after all if anybody creates a good fake stamp for this set there'd be no way to tell the difference.

Looking at that Volquez you linked to, being able to see the whole back of the card, I'm 99% sure it's fake. Definitely off from the serial number stamping Topps has been doing over the last several years. The "/" is also at more of an angle. The seller of the Volquez also has 2 others for sale (Jeff Baisley and Placido Polanco) that appear to have the phony stamp. Not saying he's the faker, he could have been duped by somebody else.

I think you've got a fake. It's still a rare card, but you might want to think about getting your money back if the purchase was recent enough.

Richard

I have the Xavier Nady 2009 Bowman Red 1/1 and the stamp looks more like the Superfractor and the JD Drew linked to on COMC than your Red 1/1 stamp. I bought it off ebay so I am not 100% sure it's real, after all if anybody creates a good fake stamp for this set there'd be no way to tell the difference.

Looking at that Volquez you linked to, being able to see the whole back of the card, I'm 99% sure it's fake. Definitely off from the serial number stamping Topps has been doing over the last several years. The "/" is also at more of an angle. The seller of the Volquez also has 2 others for sale (Jeff Baisley and Placido Polanco) that appear to have the phony stamp. Not saying he's the faker, he could have been duped by somebody else.

I think you've got a fake. It's still a rare card, but you might want to think about getting your money back if the purchase was recent enough.

Richard

I just contacted the seller asking him where he got it. I told him/her I wasn't accusing them of faking it, just told them what I saw and what my concerns are. I just bought it about a week ago, so I do have some recourse if I choose to use it.

Got a response from the seller, he said he got it from a collection and offered a full refund if I wanted to return it. I believe he's not the one who stamped it, if this is indeed a fake.

Does anyone think that if I contacted Topps, they'd be able to authenticate it somehow?

Got a response from the seller, he said he got it from a collection and offered a full refund if I wanted to return it. I believe he's not the one who stamped it, if this is indeed a fake.

Does anyone think that if I contacted Topps, they'd be able to authenticate it somehow?

Might be worth a try- if it's real, you're not gonna find another, hate to give that up.

Topps released unnumbered Bowman reds in 2009 in uncut sheets to their distributors. There were many that then appeared cut up - I think I remember as many as 10 per player. So most likely yours is more like 1/10, with someone stamping a fake 1/1 on it. Still worth keeping IMO.