Thoughts on Topps Diamond Giveaway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rburke02

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hey Guys,

I have been away from cards for almost a year with a few stops in here and there. I opened a jumbo of 2011 Topps and I see that you get one of these cards in each pack. What is the census on these? Redeem or not? Is the big hit a 52 Mantle? Any opinions are welcome on this. Thanks
Robert

It's basically a lottery. If you get a 'hit' you will eventually have to pay to have it shipped to you. Otherwise you might be able to get $1.50 or so for the code on eBay.

I redeemed 2 and did pretty well, this was after going 0/15 on last years similar program, Million card giveaway.

So, if you get a "hit" you claim it and then have to pay to have the card shipped to you? Ill claim the first one and see what happens just for fun. Thanks for the info.

Here's my thoughts on this "giveaway"

1. Someone should file a lawsuit over the name "giveaway" as you don't have to pay ANYTHING for a "giveaway". Can we say false advertising?

2. Has anyone hit ANY of the die-cut cards? They make it sound like you actually have a shot but I have redeemed 41 codes and it was like I got the junk that card stores don't even want. Again, can we say false advertising?

3. When you redeem the codes, you get a "dig" per each one. Again, still no sign of these die-cut cards. And, to make matters worse, when the game went live on Feb. 15....IT DIDN'T WORK! Really, Topps, really. I don't know who you kissed up to at MLB to get this exclusive deal, but someone should point out to the right government office that this is a MONOPALY and that is ILLEGAL - agreement or not. Back to the subject at hand, if you're going to think up a game, design it and come up with prizes for it, shouldn't you at least make sure the thing works BEFORE it goes live and angers what are probably some already frustrated customers. It's like they are trying to kill the hobby.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jason

My 5 redemptions have been sucky commons. I was hoping the redemptions were going to be for an online-exclusive insert set, that's sort of what the redemption cards made it look like. So far the cards have been even worse than what I got from the million card giveaway. Big thumbs down.

1) Actually, ya do. Taxes, if nothing else.

2) It's a lottery. All those scratch off tickets people buy by the bundle hoping to "hit it big." It's the same thing. I know a TON of people who buy lottery tickets. None of them have ever won anything more than $50 or so.

I know a TON of people on here who redeem these codes. None of them have ever won anything more than a decent 1950s-era card or two.

Same thing.

3) Lots of people have what you're monopolies. Such-and-such company is the official soft drink of the NBA. Shoe company X is the official basketball shoe of School Y. Topps is the official baseball card manufacturer of MLB. Doesn't mean other companies can't make baseball cards. Means other companies can't make baseball cards with current players and showing team logos. Not Topps' fault Upper Deck wasn't capable of following those rules.

And to answer your question, Robert. One of the big "hits" is, of course, the '52 Mantle. Topps is also including random diamond cards ... die cut cards with actual diamond chips on them, and I believe you can also get an actual diamond ring from a redemption.

Last edited:
I believe I saw one person on the Beckett boards who redeemed one and got one of the diamond cards, like Steve mentioned above. Time will tell though.

Jason

Great. Thanks for the info Steve. What is the digging part of the redemption though? I read up on it some just doesnt seem to be making sense to me.

Nice to hear from you and Jason again. Thanks!

Theres a contest coming out soon.....local dealers are getting 25 posters and theres a contest ....you collect 60 items....and the first 10 to collect them will get a set of cards.............60 ring tones from the diamond redemption giveaway?? Best regards, David

That's what the digging is for? To collect items? I am not sure why this is so hard for me to figure out :)
Thanks for the info David.

I think it's neat. My fiancee really likes it too. In fact, she likes 2011 topps so much that we ordered a case last night. We've redeemed 7 codes so far, and I got a Carl Yastrzemski die cut. I haven't seen any on ebay, so I wonder if it's only a redemption?

I think it's neat. My fiancee really likes it too. In fact, she likes 2011 topps so much that we ordered a case last night. We've redeemed 7 codes so far, and I got a Carl Yastrzemski die cut. I haven't seen any on ebay, so I wonder if it's only a redemption?

I was wondering the same thing. Congrats on the pull and the engagement :)