Card protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
How do you protect your cards?

I put most vintage sets into binders with newer ones in 800 count boxes. For my commons box, if they are worth more than a quarter, I put them in a penny sleeve. I also use binders for trade bait cards worth more than a buck.

Generally speaking I put anycards valued at $10 or more into top loaders with soft sleeves. Also most HOF RCs will go into the same holders. My sets are in set boxes with a key card or two sitting on top in top loaders.

From there it is a real mish mash. Some star cards are in notebooks, some are in 800 ct boxes, some are in 5000 ct boxes with soft sleeves sorted by player.. Most vintage commons are in 800 ct boxes snugly packed with protective material. There really is no rhyme or reason for my storing methodology, except for my $10 and above rule. It seems my cards were stored with whatever supplies I had a lot of at the time. If I had a lot of notebooks and pages, the cards I was sorting were stored in those. If I had a lot of boxes, they tended to go there and on and on.

Along the same lines, my storage question is how people store their GU cards that are thicK? I am having a real problem figuring out how to protect and store themsince many are too thick for sleeves and top loaders.

Generally speaking I put anycards valued at $10 or more into top loaders with soft sleeves. Also most HOF RCs will go into the same holders. My sets are in set boxes with a key card or two sitting on top in top loaders.

From there it is a real mish mash. Some star cards are in notebooks, some are in 800 ct boxes, some are in 5000 ct boxes with soft sleeves sorted by player.. Most vintage commons are in 800 ct boxes snugly packed with protective material. There really is no rhyme or reason for my storing methodology, except for my $10 and above rule. It seems my cards were stored with whatever supplies I had a lot of at the time. If I had a lot of notebooks and pages, the cards I was sorting were stored in those. If I had a lot of boxes, they tended to go there and on and on.

Along the same lines, my storage question is how people store their GU cards that are thicK? I am having a real problem figuring out how to protect and store themsince many are too thick for sleeves and top loaders.

Jeff, I know that there are some sleeves and toploaders that are slightly oversized that can hold GU cards. Several years back, I accidentally bought a pack of the oversized soft sleeves, I believe on Amazon, made by Ultra Pro. I was annoyed at the time, because they didn't hold standard cards very well, but I then realized they were for thicker cards, like GU!

I have never bought any of the oversize toploaders, but have received many from trades and purchases. Sometimes people will use them to send multiple cards in trades as well. I am sure your local card shop has some, or maybe try Amazon.

Hope that helps my friend!

Blessings,

Kevin

Last edited:
Oversized Toploaders are great...100 pt for regular sized game used cards.....180 pt for the Medallion cards! Plus u use the oversized Toploaders with extra Card sleeves of 130 pt thickness. Best regards, David

I have never bought any of the oversize toploaders, but have received many from trades and purchases. Sometimes people will use them to send multiple cards in trades as well. I am sure your local card shop has some, or maybe try Amazon.

/QUOTE]

Oh no! I too have received these top loaders with multiple cards in them and thought they were regular top loaders that were manipulated somehow to hold multiple cards. They sat around for months and I threw most of them away! SMH!!!! Of course I picked up a bunch of these thicker cards soon after I tossed the holders they would have gone in.

I swear, you learn something every day.

The only other holders I have found to put these thick cards in are oversized soft sleeves that were probably from the early 90s when oversized cards (like the 1989 Bowman baseball) were being produced by the various card companies.

Thanks for the info Kevin. Now I know what those odd holders are and to NOT throw them away if I get any more.

Oversized Toploaders are great...100 pt for regular sized game used cards.....180 pt for the Medallion cards! Plus u use the oversized Toploaders with extra Card sleeves of 130 pt thickness. Best regards, David

David, thank you! That is super helpful, the point thicknesses! I will be in the market for some more toploaders here shortly, so will use this great info!

God bless,

Kevin

/QUOTE]

Oh no! I too have received these top loaders with multiple cards in them and thought they were regular top loaders that were manipulated somehow to hold multiple cards. They sat around for months and I threw most of them away! SMH!!!! Of course I picked up a bunch of these thicker cards soon after I tossed the holders they would have gone in.

I swear, you learn something every day.

The only other holders I have found to put these thick cards in are oversized soft sleeves that were probably from the early 90s when oversized cards (like the 1989 Bowman baseball) were being produced by the various card companies.

Thanks for the info Kevin. Now I know what those odd holders are and to NOT throw them away if I get any more.

No worries Jeff, hope that helped.....David's post with the thicknesses was very helpful too!

I have thrown stuff away that I needed later too, which drove me crazy, but que sera! My rule is usually I am looking for something shortly after I decided i never needed it!!

Blessings,

Kevin