Does anyone buy Topps cards from these years anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thank you all for your thoughts. it is fun and interesting to read everyones thoughts on this. some very, very good posts! I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to lets say buy a wax box of 1987 topps just to relive the memory of what it was like to open wax packs! (i wont eat the gum this time!) i also wonder if anyone here has any topps complete set runs for example every topps set from 1951-2016?

thank you all for your thoughts. it is fun and interesting to read everyones thoughts on this. some very, very good posts! I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to lets say buy a wax box of 1987 topps just to relive the memory of what it was like to open wax packs! (i wont eat the gum this time!) i also wonder if anyone here has any topps complete set runs for example every topps set from 1951-2016?

I have a complete run from 1973 -2016 with the exception of some of the high priced variations (Frank Thomas NNOF) and some of the SP's from recent years. My 1972 Topps set is nearly complete and I am hoping to knock that one out this year. I have no interest however in opening a box of 1987 Topps.

When I got back into the hobby (1992), I bought wax boxes of 86/87/88/89/90/91 to build the sets and of course, I now have monster boxes filled with junk wax, but that is okay. It was a relatively cheap, fun way to get back into the hobby. I have a box of wax from every year from 1986 forward stashed away, also have some loose packs every year from 1985 going back to 1972 - those are getting harder and harder to find every day.

My ultimate goal is a Topps set for every year from 1969 to the present - I have 9 more years to knock out - some are much closer to completion than others.

Now I try and get a pack here and there for my son to open and he loves it, he has his own little collection of cards that he free to do whatever he wants with.

I am working on mine from 1977-current, only set not complete is the 1980. am working on the traded sets also, still have some holes tho.

as for the 87 topps.......hellz yeah!! I almost got a wax case last summer for $100 but was $25 short and the seller would not budge from the $100. 87 still to this day is my favorite set with 89 upper deck a very close second.

Last edited:
If I get a good deal on some boxes, I buy them. Like I picked up a 1987 Topps rack case for $40 a few years back. And my LCS had a Black Friday deal a couple years ago, 1988 Topps wax boxes for $5 each or 3 for $10. And I'll put together the set from that, picking up singles if I need them to finish it off.

I still buy some for autographing purposes, but I don't typically go out looking specifically for a 1982 Topps Dave Chalk-- just anything I can find to get signed by him regardless of year/set.

When I collected, I did the same as many of you guys have said, picked up cards of players I liked, regardless of year, etc. That was more or less how i started, trading with the other kids at school and in the neighborhood for players I liked best. Of course it was the Cubs, Sox, and Bears in those days, as I am from LaGrange, outside of Chicago. As I got older and collected more, it was players from certain championship teams, eras, etc. I got into some customs most recently, though I really lost the desire to continue following our 3rd child's birth, too busy and having too much fun with them. If any of my kids like cards, then I may dip right back into it.

Cards remind me of my childhood, and while I dont collect anything anymore, I have really enjoyed staying in touch with the hobby and with some friends on the bench! Its been 6 years since I joined, and I am always glad I did! I dont have facebook, and my wife kids me that the bench is my version of facebook!

I also agree with a few different posts: this is NOT a cheap hobby! In the 80s it was 50 cents per pack on average, and I remember the card shop right next door to my Aunt and Uncle's beauty parlor selling single cards. I think I picked up Payton, Perry, and McMahon from the 86 Topps football set for 25 cents each, and thinking I got the bargain of a lifetime!

Today, packs are more, individual cards are more, and local card shops are very few and far between. We dont really have convenience stores in our town now in Southern Illinois, walmart is the best bet for packs. As a child, they were everywhere, gas stations, etc. but I think the counter space that once held baseball cards has really been designated now for other things, like 5 hour energy! Not as much desire for it from kids, and it makes me sad. Occasionally, I will have students come in and comment on the cards I have displayed in my offices (I am a school social worker), and it is fun to talk to them about their collections, etc. but VERY few kids collect anymore, I can attest to that firsthand (some see the cards and say "what are those?").

Maybe the next generation will see them differently, but as of now, I think its probably those of us who remember them fondly from our childhood. Its those memories I wouldnt trade for anything!

God bless,

Kevin

Last edited: