It's been 30 years, however...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trapped212

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
30 years ago I was a autograph pounding teenager hanging out at the old Municipal Stadium in West Palm Beach. We had the Braves and Expos and all the good guys, Dale Murphy, Bob Horner, Tim Raines, Andre Dawson would sign year in and out. I started a 1983 autograph topps set and got within 80 cards of having the whole thing signed when I felt I needed party money in high school and college more and sold off what would be huge today.

30 years later, I am the father of a 10 year old boy and the new Topps Heritage came out. I made the decision that we were going to try for this set signed. We live near Jupiter and missed the boat on Marlins and Cardinals as I wouldn't go to the stadium without him and I'm a typical divorced father with typical divorced father rules. Anyway, we sent out our first 7 guys based on reports listed here and on Sportscollectors.net

We will monitor all successes and failures here. And as of now we are at 0/500 (I still need 33 high numbers to complete our set.) Back in 1983, the first player I eve rsent to was Ned Yost, who responded back in 3 days. Ned is now the Royals manager and has a Heritage card. Love the irony. Will send to him soon.

Earlier this spring the St Louis Cardinals had a signing for their fans and my son and I went, but we didn't have the Heritage card from this year, so we have these available for trade:
2012 topps heritage autograph yadier molina will trade for 2013 topps heritage autograph and give you our SP
2012 topps heritage autograph matt holliday will trade for 2013 topps heritage auto and give you our SP too
2011 topps update lance lynn autograph will trade for 2013 topps heritage autograph
2010 topps carlos beltran (mets) will trade for 2013 topps heritage autograph

As of now, only sending to teams that train in Arizona. Would love a Spring Training trader for next year. To be discussed further.
Anyway, let the hunt begin and mark March 18, 2013 as our start date. 0/500 2013 topps heritage autograph set.
Jeff and Shane

Last edited:
Have to admit that panic struck us since we mailed our first 7 on the 18th and hadn't gotten any back. All sorts of conspiracy theories popped into my head; did I use the right envelopes? Did the post office refuse them? Were we too late for spring training? Anyway, all of that is moot since we got our first two back today: Caspar Wells c/o Mariners ST and Todd Frazier c/o Reds who personalized his card to Shane, so we are now at 2/500!
Let the hunt continue.
Jeff

Jeff,
That's a great project to do with your son! The thrill of the chase will last longer for Shane than the collection of autographs in the long run.

I regularly slip the Topps Heritage cards into my "to be autographed" inventory as they sign well. I'll surely keep you in mind if I land any from 2013.

Too bad about the 1983 set sale. I'd bet the folks here could have helped knock out some of those last 88.
Good luck,

Michael

Michael,
Thanks for your note. It means a lot to us. Once testing gets done, and the summer rolls in, I'll be heading to Jupiter for the Florida State league. Would love to work somethings out.

On another note, we got our 3 response out of 9 mailed so far and it was a crushing blow. We had written to Mat Latos in spring training and I enclosed two cards. Usually it's one, unless they have two cards in the heritage, anyway, I thought two weeks before ST ended was cutting itclose. We got the Latos back but I must have used those envelopes that Costanza gave his fiance on Seinfeld because this thing was destroyed. The Heritage latos, unsigned, was sticking through the envelope, and the second card, a Dynamic duos that we had signed by Kershaw TTM was missing. UGH. We got the Kershaw a year ago when I sent him two and he kept the Turkey Red that I was briefly tryingto get signed. So this reponse has to get a negative even if we got our Heritage SP back. Of course will keep trying. target goal are the 15 teams that train out west for Spring Training.

Sorry to hear about losing the Kershaw. At least he seems to sign TTM, although delayed a year, via spring training. Should be able to replace it soon. PM coming regarding the Bauer we talked about.

It took to May, but hopefully we'll get something for ourefforts. One came in the mail and it's a lot thicker than what we sent out. My son's not here, and I can't get him by phone, so the envelope sits. Will report when contact is made.
Also, one card away from set of 1-500 heritage. If anyone has a 485 castro...PLUK what we can offer.
Jeff

It ended up being Pat Neshek of the A's. Signed two 2013 heritage cards in bluesharpie. We asked him to keep one. Now here is the odd part. The thickness of the envelope was because Mr. Neshek added the following cards from 2013 topps: 72 mini posey, emerald 160 drew, calling card reggie, and 7 base cards from the topps series 1. All came in our return envelope for 46 cents. Bizarre, but grateful, and we have a Neshek to trade! But the best part, we are now at 3/500.

Last edited:
Received 2013 topps heritage black sharpie Mariners Tom Wilhelmsen 1/1 in c/o team 8 days.
4/500 complete....one more and we'll have a percent! How many days until Spring training?

Neshek is a fellow collector-- really cool to see he tossed in the freebies.

If you're interested in trading, I may be able to get you a few guys here in Texas once I grab extra cards of them. I've gotten Ron Washington, David Murphy, and Mitch Moreland so far. If I can grab extras of them next time I stock up on unsigned cards (hopefully this week), I should be able to get those three pretty easily and trade them to you.

H.B. Thank you very much for your offer. I would like to accept. If you need me to, I can send any ofthe Heritage cards.
I live in South Florida and am near the St louis Cardinals and Jupiter Hammerheads. The Florida State League (High A) runs through here. If I can help out on my end, please don't hesitate to ask.
Jeff

Good Luck with your set. If I come across any or see any I will try and grab them for you.

My daughter and I are working on getting the 1996 Fleer set signed. I chose this set because that year (1996) is the year my daughter was born. We have been working on this set for a little over four years (started Jan 1, 2009) and have 204/600 signed.

Hope you continue to have successes.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you Ron. And for everybody else who may be interested. Here is a list of former players who are currently coaches and managers in the F.S.L. Once school ends in June, I'd be willing to head out to a few of these games in hopes of helping out and getting trade bait.
Dunedin Blue Jays---Bobby Meacham, Darold Knowles
Daytona Cubs--- Mariano Duncan, Storm Davis
Brevard County manatees Joe Ayrault, mark Dewey
Clearwater Thrashers (Phillies) ---Chris Truby, John Mizerock, Bob Milacki
Tampa Yankees---Luis Sojo, Marcus Thames, Jeff Ware
Lakeland Tigers---Larry Herndon, Mike Maroth
Fort Myers Miracle---Doug Mientkiewicz, Jim Dwyer
St. Lucie Mets---Benny Distefano, Phil Regan
Palm Beach Cardinals---Roger LaFrancois (1983 topps/donruss)
Jupiter hammerheads--Joe Coleman
Bradenton and Charlotte had no major leaguers at this time.
Will try to give at least a week's notice before I go. None of these guys have Heritage cards so I'd be willing to hunt for anyone who needs it.
Will also monitor rehab players.

Nothing new in on 2013 heritage, but have written and mailed 24 letters since May 5th.
My favorite team of all time is the 1978 yankees. I was 9. I came across Bucky Dent's address at:
8895 Indian River Run Boynton Beach, Fl 33437...this is literally a mile drive away, and my son wanted to go there, but it just didn't seem right. So I mailed a note and request, I we received 2/2 a 1978 topps black sharpie and the UD Masterpiece where he's met at home by White and Chambliss after the....deep to left, (Yaz knee buckle) Mailed on May 11th. Not bad for local mail. No fee (by Dent I did use stamps). No charge. maybe we'll sneak over there on Halloween. See if he gives away Baby Ruth bars (Ugh!) ( I know...not named after Bambino...) Just killing time to dinner, which is now.

Nothing new in on 2013 heritage, but have written and mailed 24 letters since May 5th.
My favorite team of all time is the 1978 yankees. I was 9. I came across Bucky Dent's address at:
8895 Indian River Run Boynton Beach, Fl 33437...this is literally a mile drive away, and my son wanted to go there, but it just didn't seem right. So I mailed a note and request, I we received 2/2 a 1978 topps black sharpie and the UD Masterpiece where he's met at home by White and Chambliss after the....deep to left, (Yaz knee buckle) Mailed on May 11th. Not bad for local mail. No fee (by Dent I did use stamps). No charge. maybe we'll sneak over there on Halloween. See if he gives away Baby Ruth bars (Ugh!) ( I know...not named after Bambino...) Just killing time to dinner, which is now.

Great update, keep them coming!

Todd