Peeling Protective Film?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TC84

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
So I want to get a few cards graded. One is a Topps Finest Refractor from the 90s. It has the protective film still on it, and it's a bit scratched up. I figured it would be better to take the film off and send it in so the surface will be flawless.
Am I correct in assuming PSA doesn't downgrade because the film is off? Or do they want to see a card as it came off the line. I don't consider taking the film off as tampering because that's what it's there for... am I right or should I leave the film on?
Thanks for your input!
TC

It'll be downgraded for sure. I will bet it will come back either as Altered or Authentic..........whatever that A grade means.

I have a 1996-97 Kobe Bryant Finest RC without the film. I doubt I'd get too much for it.

It'll be downgraded for sure. I will bet it will come back either as Altered or Authentic..........whatever that A grade means.

I have a 1996-97 Kobe Bryant Finest RC without the film. I doubt I'd get too much for it.
Well ain't that a stinker...

I believe there are more graded cards without coating than with, they look better like that in the slabs. Also, if the coating is scratched, from what I have heard, they actually take that as the surface, so will ding you on that. Therefore, it is generally better to remove the coating. However, for older cards, you have to be very careful. I have tried to remove some older coatings, and it pulled off the finish of the card. I would not remove it unless you are certain you can do it without damage.

I believe there are more graded cards without coating than with, they look better like that in the slabs. Also, if the coating is scratched, from what I have heard, they actually take that as the surface, so will ding you on that. Therefore, it is generally better to remove the coating. However, for older cards, you have to be very careful. I have tried to remove some older coatings, and it pulled off the finish of the card. I would not remove it unless you are certain you can do it without damage.
Good point about pulling off the top coat of the card. I did that removing the film from a 90s Contenders card. That totally just reminded me! I guess I'll skip this card getting graded.