Review Archives Baseball - 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Archives Baseball - 2014

24 packs -- 8 cards per pack
2 autos per box

I received these:

163 unique base cards -- 81.5% of base set - no dupes!!

PLUS 6 SP's #ed 201-250

Archives Baseball is again a favorite among the vintage collectors. In the styles of days gone by, Archives marries rich baseball history with today's stars. Yogi, Willie Mc, Stan the Man, Bench, Randy J, Phil Rizzuto, Bob G, Lou Boudreau, and Joe D - just to name a few of the greats that are featured in Archives. There are a number of rookie cards as well with the 'RC' designation clearly on the front of the card. As in the past, any card with a black edge will have grading issues - just handle them carefully and they should be fine.

Archives is an excellent issue for the younger collectors to see what the older sets looked like and to make decisions to possibly build one of the historic sets. It's also a good issue for the TTM auto collector - great cards for autos!

INSERTS

Major League

img963_zps69383f0d.jpg

Silver/Bronze?

img965_zps34b5dc74.jpg

3 Bronze #ed to 199
2 Silver #ed to 99

'71

All Star / Deckle Edge Mini

img964_zps1aec99e2.jpg

6 All Star
5 Deckle Edge minis

FireBrand - Stadium Club

Eric Davis

Autos

img969_zps8fda0d41.jpg

David Eckstein (continues to have an excellent looking auto!!) It's also on the card in blue Sharpee with a Topps gold foil embossing - 'Archives Auto' -- good job.
Tulo - Redemption mini auto

Archives - I still like the Deckle edge mini's even though they were in a previous set. Major League inserts were also in a previous set - would have been pretty cool to get an auto'd Major League, but no such luck! Dang!

The parallels - I called one bronze - could be gold - however, they are numbered to 199 and the silver to 99. Normally, it has been the other way around AND there could be another parallel that is even in a smaller denomination (maybe 25 or 50?)

***Just for clarification, I try not to see any other review posted prior to my posting, so if I don't know exactly what is in an issue, that is the reason:)

Overall grade A - great issue for in-person autos or TTM's.

Go buy several boxes and send the cellar dwelling Rays parallels to me!!

Duane

Thanks for the review Duane. I always look forward to this set and this year doesn't disappoint. I love the "Major League" movie cards, although I did some research and it seems Willie Mayes Hayes and Pedro Serano were not included. I can't wait for other baseball movies to be featured. How about a Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez card? Anyway, would love Vaugn or Dorn if your not keeping them. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

22 58 70 97 109 125 176

'87 all star JF

Thanks, Brett

This is becoming my favorite set every year; I'm a sucker for the old designs. I have a TON of base needs -- only bought a handful of packs -- but could use the Flores bronze and any of these if you pulled them:

87F-HJ Howard Johnson
87-DG Dwight Gooden
87-GC Gary Carter
87-HJ Howard Johnson
87-MH Matt Harvey

(and the Dorn/Vaughn if they don't go to Brett.)

Thanks for the review Duane. I always look forward to this set and this year doesn't disappoint. I love the "Major League" movie cards, although I did some research and it seems Willie Mayes Hayes and Pedro Serano were not included. I can't wait for other baseball movies to be featured. How about a Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez card? Anyway, would love Vaugn or Dorn if your not keeping them. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

22 58 70 97 109 125 176

'87 all star JF

Thanks, Brett

I have a stack for you Brett.

Post as free.

Duane

This is becoming my favorite set every year; I'm a sucker for the old designs. I have a TON of base needs -- only bought a handful of packs -- but could use the Flores bronze and any of these if you pulled them:

87F-HJ Howard Johnson
87-DG Dwight Gooden
87-GC Gary Carter
87-HJ Howard Johnson
87-MH Matt Harvey

(and the Dorn/Vaughn if they don't go to Brett.)

Flores, Ho Jo, and Harvey - post as free.

Duane

Duane, still looking for these players as usual. Gerrit Cole, Andrew McCutchen and Gregory Polanco. Looking for base #157. Also need a bunch of the SP's. Can you give me a list of the six you got?? Any help is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks Butch

Thanks for the review bud! I'm really digging those Major League inserts too. I may have to pick up a box or 2 of this years Archives just for those. Any odds what they fall per box or anything? Like 1 every 8 packs or something??

Thanks for the review bud! I'm really digging those Major League inserts too. I may have to pick up a box or 2 of this years Archives just for those. Any odds what they fall per box or anything? Like 1 every 8 packs or something??

I really don't know what the insertion rate is for these. I don't think they are particularly scarce. The 'bay should have a stack of them for $1 ea or less.

Duane

Duane, still looking for these players as usual. Gerrit Cole, Andrew McCutchen and Gregory Polanco. Looking for base #157. Also need a bunch of the SP's. Can you give me a list of the six you got?? Any help is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks Butch

I only have Cole. SP - 223-239-243-245-246-248

Duane

Duane, don't have anything new in Rays. Would you by chance be interested in any of these for the Cole and the SP's?? Butch

2013 Bowman Platinum Top Prospects #WM Wil Myers - $4.00

2013 Bowman Top 100 Prospects #BTP8 Wil Myers - $3.00

2011 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection Relics #JB Jason Bartlett MEM- $8.00

2011 Bowman Chrome Rookie Autographs #199 Jeremy Hellickson AU- $10.00

2007 Topps Chrome White Refractors #340 Shawn Riggans AU AUSER200 $15.00

2013 Topps Manufactured Commemorative Patch #CP36 Evan Longoria - $12.00

2010 Bowman Chrome Prospects Blue Refractors #BCP15 Joseph Cruz SER250 $10.00

2008 Upper Deck Documentary Seasonal Signatures #EJ Elliot JohnsonAU- $8.00

2005 Topps Chrome Update Red X-Fractors #91 James Houser PROS SER65 $8.00

2008 Upper Deck Ballpark Collection Jersey Autographs #12 B.J. Upton AUMEM- $30.00

2009 Upper Deck Icons Icons Jerseys #CR Carl Crawford MEM- $8.00

2008 Donruss Threads #147 Alex Cobb AU/999 AUSER999 $20.00

2012 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs #BCP62 Kes Carter AU- $8.00

2007 Sweet Spot Sweet Swatch Memorabilia #SK Scott Kazmir MEM- $8.00

I only have Cole. SP - 223-239-243-245-246-248

Duane

Don't know BV's of mine.. but these 2 would be great -- your call...

Will be out of town for a day or 3 -- should be able to mail on Sat the 5th.

Duane

Duane, the BV's on the SP's is $20.50. Will send both cards. Keep me in mind on future boxes. Thanks Butch
Don't know BV's of mine.. but these 2 would be great -- your call...

Will be out of town for a day or 3 -- should be able to mail on Sat the 5th.

Duane

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online