Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can you make $30,000/year in the business?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeautoandgu View Post
    A company can't have several employees and make only 30 grand? The employees are part of the cost. Plus, don't they have many teenage employees who make minimum wage (maybe even lower-off the books)?
    I know very little about them other than what I read on Beckett. According to Beckett, they have 20 employees. If I was running a business the size of Burbank Sports Cards and I wasn't making at least $30k for my efforts, I would need to either make changes or think about doing something else.

My initial point was that a business with employees is a business that is successful enough to have employees. There are a lot of people who start businesses and don't make any money. Those businesses aren't in the position to hire employees.

Mark
    I am currently taking a break from card collecting

Mark Wing's Baseball Card Page
    Home of the Checklist Monster

Don't like plain white envelopes? Please see How I plan to ship your cards

I have been to Burbank Sports Cards and that store is the biggest and most stocked store I have ever seen. I'm sure they are making 6 figures a year after all their costs. You have to be buzzed in like a coin shop in order to get inside (at least that's how it use to be). They have show cases stacked with the same cards. For example, you don't see one Griffey Jr. UD Rookie, you'll see stacks of them, same goes for all the cards. Plus, they have a wall full of packs, from the ceiling to the floor. You ask about it, they have. It's a nice store, but their prices are a bit high. Considering where they are located, I'm sure the customers they have don't mind paying some of those prices.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezforprez View Post
    I have been to Burbank Sports Cards and that store is the biggest and most stocked store I have ever seen. I'm sure they are making 6 figures a year after all their costs. You have to be buzzed in like a coin shop in order to get inside (at least that's how it use to be). They have show cases stacked with the same cards. For example, you don't see one Griffey Jr. UD Rookie, you'll see stacks of them, same goes for all the cards. Plus, they have a wall full of packs, from the ceiling to the floor. You ask about it, they have. It's a nice store, but their prices are a bit high. Considering where they are located, I'm sure the customers they have don't mind paying some of those prices.

Billy
    Is it true they make you pick through lists on computers, compile a list, checkout, and pay, before you can even see the cards you are buying? I heard that, once.
    [center]Thanks,
    Josh
    Photobucket

Not when I was there. If you want a certain card, they let you go through the stack pick the one you wanted. They even have graded cards in stacks, mostly 9's and higher for modern cards, but again, pick the one you want, then buy. It's been 6 years since I've been there, so I'm sure alot has changed. I know there location moved down the road I believe.

OK so let's get back to the intial question.
    Can you make 30 thousand a year selling cards? Absolutly but there are a string of caveats that go hand in hand with it. I disagree with having a physical store as if yo umarket right and have a plan you do not need the expenses. I dabble in cards as I have a full time job and still average enough to covr my collecting expenses fo rthe most part. if i were to quit my full time job I am sure that 30K would not be hard BUT I have the inventory to start as well as some outlets most others do not have

I'm not thinking of owning/operating a place, but the idea of one is a cool thing to think about every now and again. There used to be a few card shops in Saint Louis, but the numbers are dwindling. I just wonder about the guys here that stick it out.

Are they just selling Cardinals merchandise to slobbering fans? Are they getting by getting cases in, breaking a box or two out of the case in the hopes of pulling something amazing, and then selling the rest of the cases online?

I mean...... I rarely see anyone when I pass by card shops. Hell, I rarely go myself, unless I need hardcards or penny sleeves. It's like a library in a town full of illiterate people.

I think the death of the retail card shop is approaching.

So I ask myself, every time I drive by a card shop: Is the lonely guy in there just getting by and enjoying the conversation of the people that stroll in, or are the breaking even at the store and making their profit online?
    Wants: 1999 UD Century Legends Epic Sigs and Epic Sigs Gold (all 4 sports), 2004 UD Pro Sigs RCs Autos and HOFers, 2012-13 Hoops (all), players in all 4 sports that played in HS around the Saint Louis area, and RC of HOF/borderline HOF/future HOF players.

I know a couple dealers who used to grade for psa in the late 90s/early 2000s. One of them told me he was making a base salary of about $60,000 and got a quarter for every card he graded. He said he made about $80,000 a year and it was possible to make $100,000/yr if you "worked hard." Then psa went public and salaries were instantly cut by 30%. He quit at that point and is now going back to school.
    baseball wants:
    05 Absolute Jumbo Swatch and 6 Piece GU

Photobucket (mostly higher end):
    http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...get/?start=all