ebay steal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kraft7014

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Earlier today I two lots of Team USA autos on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...BoyUdE8%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

2003 UD USA National Team Red AUTO Set (1-20)

Set includes: Verlander, Jered Weaver, Dustin Pedroia

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...BoyUdE8%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

2004 UD USA National Signatures Blue Set (21-42)

Set includes: Tulowitzki, Gordon, Zimmerman, Rickey Romero, Drew Stubbs, Daniel Bard and a few other notable players.

With shipping, I paid $100 and change for the two lots combined.

Usually, the idea is to sell most of them to at least break-even (maybe even make a few bucks) and maybe keep a few for trade.. The problem is that I am wondering if I might be better off selling them as sets, opposed to selling them as singles.

Also, I haven't had a lot of luck finding similar cards on ebay to find out exactly what they are selling for.

So, good deal, or no?.. and should I try selling as sets, or break them up?

Thanks,
Chris

I would NEVER sell anything decent as a set to maximize profit. You will almost always get more for the key cards combined, sold individually, than you would for a complete set.

Remember this, people buying sets either want to break them up to resell, need the entire set or just need some of the cards. The only people willing to pay more in those cases is the guy who wants the whole set and has none of the cards yet.

I have watched someone try to sell a long run of Dodger team sets (71 to present or similar) on ebay. The guy wanted something like $1000 initially, I believe, and the price is now down around $500-600, still not selling. Not too many people interested that much in Dodger cards have zero Dodger cards and are willing to drop that much for an entire run. Most people need a few years or some singles! Same goes for player collections. If you sell a decent player collection as a lot, your buyer will probably either be another player collector, who will be getting massive duplicates, or someone looking to break it up. Both want a bargain. I wouldn't buy a large Garvey collection for big bucks for just a few cards.

Very good points. Thanks for the help.

I would NEVER sell anything decent as a set to maximize profit. You will almost always get more for the key cards combined, sold individually, than you would for a complete set.

Remember this, people buying sets either want to break them up to resell, need the entire set or just need some of the cards. The only people willing to pay more in those cases is the guy who wants the whole set and has none of the cards yet.

I have watched someone try to sell a long run of Dodger team sets (71 to present or similar) on ebay. The guy wanted something like $1000 initially, I believe, and the price is now down around $500-600, still not selling. Not too many people interested that much in Dodger cards have zero Dodger cards and are willing to drop that much for an entire run. Most people need a few years or some singles! Same goes for player collections. If you sell a decent player collection as a lot, your buyer will probably either be another player collector, who will be getting massive duplicates, or someone looking to break it up. Both want a bargain. I wouldn't buy a large Garvey collection for big bucks for just a few cards.

Curt said it best. That said, I believe the deal you got was good enough to keep them all in your PC. Good thing about USA autos: players change teams throughout their career, but the USA jersey stays the same. Good stars, all before they were MLB players, and you will never get all of their autographs in such a uniformed lot.

Tim

Once I get them all, I have decided to sell them all individually.. I might put a handful of the lesser names in a lot and try to sell them that way.

Hopefully I can make a couple of bucks and manage to keep 2 or 3 of the bigger names to trade towards my PC.

Once I get them, I will post them on the boards before they go on ebay.

Thanks for a smooth trade for your topps black and golds!

It was a pleasure trading you for your topps blacks! If any more come in to you, please remember to let me know! Will always trade for any topps blacks and golds you get, for cards you want!

Keep the Topps Blacks and Golds coming in all of you!

Thanks a million!