1950 Bowman No copyright

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottzoe

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if anyone knows the scarcity of the 1950 Bowman no copyright variations. Were they printed in the same quantity as those with the copyright? There does not seem to be any difference in value, but I do not see the no copyright versions very often which makes me wonder what percentage of the print run for those last two series were missing the copyright line. Maybe I don't see them that often because no one bothers to look and list them that way? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

I collect older Team sets of Cardinals and that has been one of the hardest older cards to find. I saw one listed on ebay about 5 or so years ago and haven't seen another. I have alot of earlier scarce variations cards but to date I have no 1950 Bowman Cardinals without a copyright line. They must be very scarce.

You sparked my curiosity but, for now, this was all I could find (not very specific) regarding your question...these are not my words, but rather came from the link inserted at the bottom of this post.. Hope this helps at least guide you in the direction you're looking to go!!

IN REF TO 1950 BOWMAN:

"The bottom of the card shows the card number and the Bowman copyright, however, cards 181 thru 252 can be found with or without the copyright, neither variation is worth more than the other. Of the 252 cards in the set, it is cards 1 thru 72 which have proven to be more valuable due to the belief that they were short printed and that they seem to be tougher to find in top condition".

http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5103&universeid=314

I have been doing some digging on these..it seems the set was printed in 7 series with the last two series, being found with or without the trademark. the 1st two series seem to be printed in shorter quantities...I have not found anything tangible on what percentage were printed with or without the copyright..the general feeling is they are more scare, but it seems there is no difference in value...maybe because there are so many (28% of the set) and perhaps because they are so easy to overlook. I do have 2 of the 5 Red Sox with the variations..I'll try to scan the backs I have and get them posted, if anyone care to see what the difference is.

Scott

I dug out my old Standard Catalog from storage the other day and it states the no copyright variations are more scarce, but command no premium. In doing some searching of scans on the web, I have started to notice many more available that I thought, but that are marked as the regular cards....so I guess they can be found, but the buyers need to do their checking...here are the scans of the two I have to see the differences...

1950 Bowman 188 Earl Johnson

1950_bowman_188_johnson.jpg
1950_bowman_188_johnson_back.jpg

1950 Bowman 188A Earl Johnson No copyright

1950_bowman_johnson.jpg
1950_bowman_188a_johnson_nc_back.jpg

1950 Bowman 245 Al Papai

1950_bowman_papai.jpg
1950_bowman_245_papai_back.jpg

1950 Bowman 245A Al Papai No copyright

1950_bowman_245a_papai_nc.jpg
1950_bowman_245a_papai_nc_back.jpg

Hope this helps if anyone else is interested in these variations.

Scott