Boycott Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ok ok ok... now I have to step up.... The greatest player to ever play the game? Sorry no. IMO there really is no greatest player. Rose I would say is "One" of the best to play but not the greatest. DiMaggio I believe would top Rose. Ruth and many more. Would Rose be in the top 10 best ball players? no. maybe top 20 (pushing it). Rose was a great player. I saw him play many times even in the 1980 world series. His busted butt all the time but the best... Sorry no...But noone is the greatest ball player.

"If not the greatest player of all time" implies that he can be argued as such. Whether he is or not I didn't say. I would definitely put Ruth ahead of him, DiMaggio... not so sure about that but I can see the argument. Definitely a top 10 (without question) in my opinion.

"If not the greatest player of all time" implies that he can be argued as such. Whether he is or not I didn't say. I would definitely put Ruth ahead of him, DiMaggio... not so sure about that but I can see the argument. Definitely a top 10 (without question) in my opinion.

I see your point and i see you only quoted half of what you said.
Personally I thought he was one of the greatest if not THE greatest player to play the game.[/QUOTE] Like I aid he was a great player. He made baseball fun to watch. We always had first base seats at the Vet and I saw him run like a mad man all the time. Im just trying to show you why the others came after you..I would LOVE to see him in the hall but if they banned Jackson for this long i doubt Rose will get in too. I got a few of those boxes with his autos in them and was luck to get 2 Phillies ones!
ROSEPETE2.jpg
ROSEPETE1.jpg
So many people were mad they made so amny of these but i was happy beacuse i finally can aford a certified one.

Well, in my opinion you can "argue" that he is the greatest, he may or may not be.

Nice pulls on the autos, I LOVE that they did that set, great stuff! I have a PSA DNA of Rose, but I'll have to get one of those pack certified autos one of these days.

Not sure why Valediction and BoomerSooner decided to gang up on me, but I maintain my stance. Flag burning may not be as offensive to me as the next guy but it's a despicable thing and I knew it would grab your attention.

Nobody is "ganging up on you". You made a bold statement, one that has been met with opposition- deal with it. You're all over the place in this thread, and personally, I don't think you've thought this through.
When you thought Topps had deleted Rose from its cards, you wanted to boycott Topps. When it was pointed out that it was a MLB decision, not Topps, you found that acceptable, not worthy of a boycott. Which makes zero sense. If the deletion was so offensive to you as a Rose fan, so hurtful, then the next step would obviously be a boycott of MLB.

I just don't know what to say. He played with a LOT of hate. Not many players or people liked him at all. He had the partial respect, partial fear factor in his day.
I did see him play since his rookie year and there are and were many players that were better overall players as well as human beings. I would in fact compare him to ARod. Both Icons in their own mind!
Flag!!!??? Wow!

Last edited:
Nobody is "ganging up on you". You made a bold statement, one that has been met with opposition- deal with it. You're all over the place in this thread, and personally, I don't think you've thought this through.
When you thought Topps had deleted Rose from its cards, you wanted to boycott Topps. When it was pointed out that it was a MLB decision, not Topps, you found that acceptable, not worthy of a boycott. Which makes zero sense. If the deletion was so offensive to you as a Rose fan, so hurtful, then the next step would obviously be a boycott of MLB.

Sounds good. Will do...

Who is ganging up on you? You went from boycotting Topps and writing a letter expressing your disgust and encouraging others to do the same to having a beef with MLB instead. That's a bit like seeing your best friends name come up on your girlfriend's phone, so you call her every name in the book, post it on Facebook, break up, and find out later she was planning your surprise birthday party.

You've mentioned your disgust with A-Rod and targeted him ad nauseum while acting like he committed some unforgivable transgression, and then say baseball should turn a blind eye to someone breaking the ONE unpardonable rule they had, and induct Pete Rose.

You are coming off as everything is absolute black or white and there is no room to even consider any middle ground. If you see things that way, that's fine, but expecting everyone else to is going to lead to discussions like this

Already boycotted Topps 3 years ago when they decided to rip me off and lie to me on the phone 4 times. Talking about a relatively low BV situation but I'm principled.

Despite being a monopoly, which in of and of itself would not make me boycott them, they have the worst customer service I have ever experienced and I think they relish it. IMO

Already boycotted Topps 3 years ago when they decided to rip me off and lie to me on the phone 4 times. Talking about a relatively low BV situation but I'm principled.

Despite being a monopoly, which in of and of itself would not make me boycott them, they have the worst customer service I have ever experienced and I think they relish it. IMO

Its so funny beacuse alot of people say they have the worse customer service but i have had nothing but great service over the many years.....

Its so funny beacuse alot of people say they have the worse customer service but i have had nothing but great service over the many years.....

Its an anomoly to me, I have heard others say they are great and on the phone they are great and tell you they will do all these great things, but after many tries, I realized they were just patronizing me and it was about time I got the hint. NEVER AGAIN.

Its an anomoly to me, I have heard others say they are great and on the phone they are great and tell you they will do all these great things, but after many tries, I realized they were just patronizing me and it was about time I got the hint. NEVER AGAIN.

your not alone on that. they have screwed alot of people over. I just read where someone had a redemption that was old and they just sent him something else without even asking him.

Off the top of my head, here are ten players:

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Honus Wagner
Cy Young
Walter Johnson
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Tris Speaker
Ted Williams
Stan Musial

Please make an argument for Pete Rose being better than any single one of them.

Richard

Pete Rose deserved what he got. Banned from baseball.

Maybe, but its because he's the only one that got caught and its very easy to isolate him. Is he the only player ever in the history of MLB to bet on baseball while managing or playing?? If there were 10, 50, or 100 players that bet on baseball, would they all be "banned"? Would they deserve to be banned? Does it depend on the player?

Do you think that if there weren't so many players tied up in the PEDs scandel that it wouldn't be any different of an offense? Could the mere number of those players be the only thing keeping them from being "banned". (HOF is a different matter altogether, I'm talking about "banned" like Pete).

I'm a Rose fan, obviously, but I'm trying to be objective.

Off the top of my head, here are ten players:

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Honus Wagner
Cy Young
Walter Johnson
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Tris Speaker
Ted Williams
Stan Musial

Please make an argument for Pete Rose being better than any single one of them.

Richard

An argument could be made for Rose to replace Tris Speaker or Ty Cobb on this list.

Maybe, but its because he's the only one that got caught and its very easy to isolate him. Is he the only player ever in the history of MLB to bet on baseball while managing or playing?? If there were 10, 50, or 100 players that bet on baseball, would they all be "banned"? Would they deserve to be banned? Does it depend on the player?

Do you think that if there weren't so many players tied up in the PEDs scandel that it wouldn't be any different of an offense? Could the mere number of those players be the only thing keeping them from being "banned". (HOF is a different matter altogether, I'm talking about "banned" like Pete).

I'm a Rose fan, obviously, but I'm trying to be objective.

As I said before I too am a Rose fan but he broke the biggest rule of all baseball. I'm not sure if you are talking about peds or steroids. because steroids were not against the rules of baseball at the time everyone was caught. But like I said Rose broke the biggest rule of baseball. Like it or not break the rules and you suffer the consequences. Rose was a grown man and he knew what he was doing. I heard that on top of every entrance to the field from the locker room is a sign that says "do not bet on baseball". The rules have been solid that you get banned for life if caught.

For the longest time Cobb was always referred to as the greatest player of all time. He received more HOF votes in the first class than anyone else. Cobb was a much better all around player than Rose. Take a look at the stats. Check out Cobbs averages.

And there are lots of former and current military personnel on this site so the flag comment is a bit much.

Last edited:
For the longest time Cobb was always referred to as the greatest player of all time. He received more HOF votes in the first class than anyone else. Cobb was a much better all around player than Rose. Take a look at the stats. Check out Cobbs averages.

And there are lots of former and current military personnel on this site so the flag comment is a bit much.
huh. I did not know Cobb played for the A's....

WOW Cobb was a mad man
Cobb Batting avg. .366
Rose batting avg. .303
cobb so's 357 (wow)
Rose so's 1,143
Cobb rbi 1,937
Rose rbi 1,314
cobb slg. .512
Rose .409
cobb opb. .433
Rose opb. .375
cobb hits 4189
rose hits 4245

And rose went to bat over 3,000 more than Cobb..... WOW cobb was a mad man!
Here was a pull I had a few years ago:
COBBTY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.