Did Topps create a monopoly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t.rooster

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hi card fans everywhere,
Around 2008 I remember hearing that Topps had obtained an exclusivity to making MLB cards, that this was going to do away with all the competition and that it was based on all the card manufacturers that were watering down the market.
Is that information correct? There must be some truth to this as I see 2014 Donruss cards lack MLB's insignias and team names. I would like to learn more about how Topps cleared the playing field. Does anyone have additional info they can volunteer or article sites? Thanks, just wanting to educate myself. ~Rooster.

There's a lot to say about this, I wish Topps had not created such a monopoly, for the only good monopoly, in my mind, is the board game. Rather than banishing the competition, the MLB would be better advised to have card companies limit what & how much the they put out there.
Myself, and I don't think I'm talking for just myself, I really liked the variety that competing companies provide…… what do others think?

There's a lot to say about this, I wish Topps had not created such a monopoly, for the only good monopoly, in my mind, is the board game. Rather than banishing the competition, the MLB would be better advised to have card companies limit what & how much the they put out there.
Myself, and I don't think I'm talking for just myself, I really liked the variety that competing companies provide…… what do others think?

Well with all of the different product lines they have been able to create the perception that there are multiple manufacturers (competition) out there. They haven't fooled us though, have they?

Panini has a monopoly in basketball as far as licensing goes...........Don't really hear many complaints about that...........Is it that no one cares, or is Topps just an easy target? Don't get me wrong, I have problems with them on many levels..........BTW, Donruss is really Panini in disguise..........

I agree with you guys, I miss the 80s when there were lots of different companies with lots of different cards!

I don't feel like Topps created so much as Topps and MLB colluded on a monopoly. Unfortunately MLB has that ability as they own the rights to the logos. This should be proof to everyone that MLB doesn't care about what fans want. All they see us as are suckers with disposable income.

You can say the same about Upper Deck and the NHL/NHLPA now too, pushing Panini out.

I really liked the variety that competing companies provide…… what do others think?

I would love to see Panini/Donruss & UD get MLB licenses back to produce baseball cards with the teams names, logos, & uniforms on them. With Topps having the exclusive rights by the MLB it isn't going to happen so soon but like you have said competition & variety is a great thing to have.

I personally believe that the best Baseball card years were 2002-2008. During that time there were Topps, Upper Deck, Donruss, and Fleer, all separate companies, all trying to out do each other. Now, there isn't much innovation since there is no competition to speak of.

IMO, Panini makes better quality cards than Topps, they just suck without the logos.

Well with all of the different product lines they have been able to create the perception that there are multiple manufacturers (competition) out there. They haven't fooled us though, have they?

That's true, Topps had Stadium Club and Bowman, Donruss had Leaf, Pinnacle was part of Score, Ultra came out of Fleer, Collector's Choice from UD, there are a few I'm missing, but yeah, I get the idea….