Looking to start a new player collection. Who should it be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reickholt

MVP
5.00 star(s)
With the announcement that Joe Mauer is retiring the number of new issues of Joe will be very limited. With that I'm looking to start a new player collection.

I'd like some input on who you think would be a good choice. Cant wait to hear your opinions.
Rick

I'm guessing you are looking to collect a current baseball player but seeing you are a Twins fan, I'd look into collecting one of their older legends like Harmon Killebrew or Rod Carew. The challenge would obviously be in their early cards but you would not have to worry about chasing cards I refer to as "manufactured scarcity" or numerous variations of the same card in newer issues. Certainly some of their cards would be scarce like Carew's 1967 high # RC but it is not a purposely short printed card. Players like these would also give you a reasonable amount of cards to chase not to mention you would not be making a risky investment by collecting a new prospect which is always dicey as so many of them fend up in the commons boxes.

Just my 2 cents while showing my preference for the older players.

I have actually amassed quite a few cards of both over the years when they have come up. I just haven't aggressively pursued them. It had crossed my mind to collect the players I grew up listening to on the radio - Killebrew, Carew, Blyleven they were my favorites. Thank you for your insight. Just might be those three.
Rick

I'm guessing you are looking to collect a current baseball player but seeing you are a Twins fan, I'd look into collecting one of their older legends like Harmon Killebrew or Rod Carew. The challenge would obviously be in their early cards but you would not have to worry about chasing cards I refer to as "manufactured scarcity" or numerous variations of the same card in newer issues. Certainly some of their cards would be scarce like Carew's 1967 high # RC but it is not a purposely short printed card. Players like these would also give you a reasonable amount of cards to chase not to mention you would not be making a risky investment by collecting a new prospect which is always dicey as so many of them fend up in the commons boxes.

Just my 2 cents while showing my preference for the older players.

I think maybe you should look in to a player who has ties to Minnesota. I know that Dave Winfield has ties to that area. He may be an interesting player to try and collect.

A couple of other pluses for you if you go with the older players is you can limit these collections to just them in Twins uniforms which will cut out a lot of cards for those three HOFers. THe other is just the sheer number of cards for older players vs current players. Check out the number of cards made for the following 3 players and you'll see what I mean

Rod Carew 4979 total cards
Harmon Killebrew 4042
Aaron Judge 4150

Aaron Judge has more cards than Harmon Killebrew who played approximately 2 decades in the majors!!! and you know that margin will grow exponentially in the coming years.

I know you did not ask this, but you got me thinking who I might collect, if I were a player collector and I came up with Jim Brown for football, all ABA cards for basketball and a mid level hall of famer in baseball from the 1960s like Brock, Gibson, McCovey and players of that type.

You'll have to let us know who you decide on when you make that call.