1996 Select Certified Mirrors - why the huge price diff bb vs fb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
According to Beckett, the print run for 1996 Select Certified are as follows:

Baseball
Mirror Red - 90
Mirror Blue - 45

Football
Mirror Red - 90
Mirror Blue - 50

I don't have Beckett pricing, but according to COMC's Beckett pricing it looks like $8 (red) and $12 (blue) for common football mirrors, but $25 (red) and $40 (blue) for common baseball mirrors! If they have similar print runs, then why the huge price difference?

There is always a larger demand for baseball, so a defined print run means that more collectors are actively pursuing and pushing the values of the baseball over the football. I collect the 1993-95 Stadium Club 1st Day Issue sets, all had a either a 1:24 pack or 1:12 packs for the later year odds yet the baseball commons were $3 versus $1.25 for football and between $1 and $2 for baseketball.

What were they Seeded at in Packs? I assume the Football was a slightly smaller set, Or produced in smaller numbers so the Mirrors in Football were probably something Like 1:18 Packs and Baseball could have been 1:24 Packs (pulled those numbers out of thin air) Therefore the Baseball Mirrors would have been the tougher pull.

Just guessing

What were they Seeded at in Packs? I assume the Football was a slightly smaller set, Or produced in smaller numbers so the Mirrors in Football were probably something Like 1:18 Packs and Baseball could have been 1:24 Packs (pulled those numbers out of thin air) Therefore the Baseball Mirrors would have been the tougher pull.

Just guessing

I'm building the Certified Red set in football, 1:5 packs in both sports. I checked the Mirror Reds and Mirror Blues, 1:100 and 1:200, the same for each sport.

I know '97 Mirrors from all sports went out the backdoor in mass numbers once Pinnacle went out of business. This was definitely not the case with 1996 baseball Mirrors...is it possible some '96 football Mirrors were backdoored since they would have been released much later in the year than the baseball set and therefore more likely to have some replacement stock sitting in a warehouse?

I don't think this is the case because 1996 Dilfer Mirrors are much much more difficult to find than 1997's. Maybe somebody else has a different experience?

Also, 1996 baseball Mirrors were made on a different card stock than the '96 football set...they could be more condition sensitive? Just throwing crap at the wall here.

According to Beckett, the print run for 1996 Select Certified are as follows:

Baseball
Mirror Red - 90
Mirror Blue - 45

Football
Mirror Red - 90
Mirror Blue - 50

I don't have Beckett pricing, but according to COMC's Beckett pricing it looks like $8 (red) and $12 (blue) for common football mirrors, but $25 (red) and $40 (blue) for common baseball mirrors! If they have similar print runs, then why the huge price difference?

Demand. Look at this site. The General 'Football cards wanted' section has 3 pages, the 'baseball wanted' has 14 pages.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps