A steal....IF it's real.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Well, someone thought it was. BIN was just hit. Wasn't up long. If it comes back from PSA as authentic, someone hit the jackpot. If not, file claim with Paypal!

Well, someone thought it was. BIN was just hit. Wasn't up long. If it comes back from PSA as authentic, someone hit the jackpot. If not, file claim with Paypal!

what basis would the buyer have for the claim ? item not as described ? if you'll note , in the description he said he was selling it as a reprint instead of an authentic card despite his friends opinion that it was real....

personally , based solely on comparisons to my own 52's , i'd say the card does look legit....obviously without seeing it in person though i wouldn't stake my reputation on it.....

fwiw , i think the only reason ebay allowed the item to be listed was because he noted that he is considering it a reprint.....why you may ask ? simple - the 52 mantle is one of a handful (9 i believe) cards that ebay no longer allows to be listed in ungraded form....

ok...found the actual list on ebay :

You can list the following trading cards only if they've been professionally graded by a reputable grading company:

* 1909 Cy Young (T206)
* 1909 Eddie Plank error card (T206)
* 1909 Honus Wagner (T206)
* 1909 Ty Cobb (T206)
* 1933 Babe Ruth (Goudey #53, #80, #144, and #181)
* 1933 Lou Gehrig (Goudey #92 and #160)
* 1951 Mickey Mantle (Bowman #253)
* 1952 Mickey Mantle (Topps #311)
* 1966-1967 Bobby Orr rookie card (Topps #35)
* 1979-1980 Wayne Gretzky rookie card (O-***-Chee and Topps #18)
* 1986-1987 Michael Jordan rookie card (Fleer #57)

I'd guess reprint. Sell it for $1500 raw or send it in to PSA/BVG and get double or triple your money at least. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. Makes as much sense as the 'my cheating ex husband left so I'm selling his cards, I know nothing about cards, but here are pictures of a bunch of the cards that just happen to be high demand items I pulled from the boxes randomly'

If it is a fake someone did an awfully good job making it look real. Just based on the pictures my non-expert opinion is that it is real. I would have to see it up close to see for sure. I do think the buyer might have gotten a steal on this one albeit one that I could not afford.

Thanks,

Jeff

what basis would the buyer have for the claim ? item not as described ? if you'll note , in the description he said he was selling it as a reprint instead of an authentic card despite his friends opinion that it was real....

personally , based solely on comparisons to my own 52's , i'd say the card does look legit....obviously without seeing it in person though i wouldn't stake my reputation on it.....

fwiw , i think the only reason ebay allowed the item to be listed was because he noted that he is considering it a reprint.....why you may ask ? simple - the 52 mantle is one of a handful (9 i believe) cards that ebay no longer allows to be listed in ungraded form....

ok...found the actual list on ebay :

You can list the following trading cards only if they've been professionally graded by a reputable grading company:

* 1909 Cy Young (T206)
* 1909 Eddie Plank error card (T206)
* 1909 Honus Wagner (T206)
* 1909 Ty Cobb (T206)
* 1933 Babe Ruth (Goudey #53, #80, #144, and #181)
* 1933 Lou Gehrig (Goudey #92 and #160)
* 1951 Mickey Mantle (Bowman #253)
* 1952 Mickey Mantle (Topps #311)
* 1966-1967 Bobby Orr rookie card (Topps #35)
* 1979-1980 Wayne Gretzky rookie card (O-***-Chee and Topps #18)
* 1986-1987 Michael Jordan rookie card (Fleer #57)

The GOD ebay has spoken ! Unbelievable it's come to this.

Fortunately I can still sell my fake $100 Ripken traded rookie there. Have two of them if anyone's interested ? :cool:

Unbelievable it's come to this.

i agree....

while i do understand their INTENT , i really don't care for their METHOD regrading this....

personally i'd love to pick up a jordan or gretzky (most of the others are pipe dreams unless i hear 6 numbers called during a powerball or megamillions drawing one day) but honestly i don't like graded cards....that rule pretty much knocks out the most easily accessible venue for picking up cards (especially since the last shop here shut it doors a few months ago)....

Very interesting reading.................Doubt that I ever see one, but still, clever the way folks will try to "put it" to you..................Glad I don't go that far back in my set collecting.................

People, IMO, truly underestimate just how low some **** will go to make a buck. There are many, many fake cards out there, still circulating, and most of the time the buyers don't know any better. Think of almost any key rookie card in the last 50 years, and it has been counterfeited in some way, shape or form.

i agree....
while i do understand their INTENT , i really don't care for their METHOD regrading this....

Maybe the most surprising thing there is that Ebay doesn't offer a grading service for themselves that you MUST use to sell those cards, LOL.

This is very informative and detailed. Nicely done piece. I agree with you that the card is most likely fake, but which way can you tell? Was there something that jumped out at you? I read the link entirely, but I couldn't find any of the flaws mentioned. Juts noticed that the winning bidder didn't pay and the card is back up for auction again.

I see several flaws, as outlined in the article I cited. Black borders(upper left especially) looked suspicious to my eyes, and the whiteness of the card in deference to its "aged" appearance are red flags, and the almost near perfection of the rounded corners, top & bottom, in seemingly equal wear, is highly doubtful. Description has image with ruler on both edges of card- it's correctly sized so corners wore but the bottom did minimally?....
For me, when looking at anything vintage, any red flags at all are enough to say no thanks. And frankly, a seller, with this type of card, with so low feedback AND the descriptive story always make me go Hmmmm..

Last edited:
I see several flaws, as outlined in the article I cited. Black borders(upper left especially) looked suspicious to my eyes, and the whiteness of the card in deference to its "aged" appearance are red flags, and the almost near perfection of the rounded corners, top & bottom, in seemingly equal wear, is highly doubtful. Description has image with ruler on both edges of card- it's correctly sized so corners wore but the bottom did minimally?....
For me, when looking at anything vintage, any red flags at all are enough to say no thanks. And frankly, a seller, with this type of card, with so low feedback AND the descriptive story always make me go Hmmmm..

Very good points. I don't buy vintage, so I wouldn't really know what to look for. It does seem very odd that he wouldn't just grade the thing if it was real and triple his money.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online