Anyone ever just want to walk away from collecting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upon rethinking the question I want to add it totally depends on the size of your collection. For me it's just not practical to put all the time I have into my Sheffield collection and then sell it. I have around 210 unique autos and 300 unique game used. Piecing that together takes years and many of the cards someone may never find unless in my collection. Same thing goes for my Fathers Terry Glenn collection which is just as impressive that I hope to add to one day.

If it were just about 20 autographs etc it'd be a lot easier to walk away.

Agreed!

My question would be to anyone that has responded in this thread..."How many cards to do you have"? If you don't know or don't have the time to find out, you've got too much and need to regroup. Just my 2 cents. I too have reconsidered this question and although I am tempted to give away much of what is worthless in my collection it dawns on me that if I shed all my unwanted stuff, I'd have virtually no inventory and thus be practically unable to do any trading. You have to have something you don't want if you're going to trade, right?

Quantity - the big hurdle for sure!

The thought of actually trying to piece out my collection to maximize the return is actually very frightening to me, as it would be a very time consuming and lengthy process. The alternative of course is to lump it into a large collection and take the massive loss with a bulk sale. i have been at this for 35 years now and have amassed a huge collection. Even if i trimmed the junk (commons and such) out, i still have way too much that i really like and would not like to part with. I would roughly fill a 10x10 storage shed, maybe a little larger even, packed to the top.

When my dad passed I filled a 10 by 20 shed to the top with boxes of cards. I checked each and all commons and inserts and such. Sold them all for about 1200 bucks. Roughly a million cards I calculated it at the time. However 1990 topps etc. Junk for the most part.

Quantity - the big hurdle for sure!

The thought of actually trying to piece out my collection to maximize the return is actually very frightening to me, as it would be a very time consuming and lengthy process. The alternative of course is to lump it into a large collection and take the massive loss with a bulk sale. i have been at this for 35 years now and have amassed a huge collection. Even if i trimmed the junk (commons and such) out, i still have way too much that i really like and would not like to part with. I would roughly fill a 10x10 storage shed, maybe a little larger even, packed to the top.

If I ever acquired all of the Tim Hudson I might think about it. But with hundreds of 1 of 1's and I don't have a single one of those I can't ever see it happening.

I've been trying to walk away. I can't move everything. I've been at this forty six years.
That's why I want to walk away.

Wow, so many similar sentiments from folks sharing this hobby. I too have ventured in and out of the hobby since the early 1970’s. When the 1990’s bubble burst, I left the hobby saying I would never be back due mainly to the value crash resultant from overproduction of garbage products. When I rejoined collecting some 10 years later, I blundered naively into trading cards from current year sets in an effort to finish some of my 1990’s incomplete sets.
More than once I fell victim to those folks who offer a fist full of commons for a rare numbered RC or even an autograph RC. Today, I laugh reflecting upon my past folly realizing in our vastly changed hobby that with few exceptions, you can simply just pay pennies on the dollar for most cards more than a year or two old. It has become somewhat a challenge to truly trade book value for book value.
This is the essence of what I believe drive folks from the hobby. Go into most hobby stores, if you can find one, and wait just minutes for someone to walk through the door or call on the phone trying to sell their cards. Unless some rare, hot rookie is offered, most replies these potential sellers receive is a polite no thank you.
Sure value is a consideration but not the sole focus for me because I enjoy the chase making sets. I learned long ago that I will not hit the lottery opening packs. Sure, some collectors due garner great pulls, and we need this to happen to keep the excitement alive. However, realistically, will the cards contained within any average collection ever garner a pay-day that returns the gross funds spent in our pursuit of our cardboard picture cards? I think not.

Last edited:
That ship has pretty much sailed for sure. I suppose it can be done if you are extremely knowledgable (or lucky) by prospecting in quantity. It was done successfully in the past by picking the right items (stars, rookies, gem mint, oddballs, etc) at the right time, but that has become very hard to do these days. Anything worth a darn these days starts out priced high and stays high.

However, realistically, will the cards contained within any average collection ever garner a pay-day that returns the gross funds spent in our pursuit of most cardboard picture cards? I think not.

TJ I am sorry about your dad passing. I would say that you were fortunate to net $1200.00. I have sadly witnessed many receive far less after traveling long distances for appraisals. In too many cases, I know of more than a few folks donating collections comprised mainly of late 80’s, 90’s and such to local charities hoping the cards can bring enjoyment to children.

I for one have never felt like walking away. I guess for me it is just the thrill of the chase. My collection is priceless to me and I would never dream of selling. I do sometimes wonder what will happen to my cards when I am gone. Obviously someone will be interested in the stuff from the 50's,60's and 70's but what about the other junk? Will it be sold in one lump sum or just pieced out? Should I discuss this with my family now or wait? When is the right time to bring this up? I am one of the people among many who have a very LARGE collection. I have plenty of boxes of 1987, 1988, and 1989 Topps but also have most of the stuff from the 60's. Would someone be willing to take everything at once? My kids are much more interested in the latest Black Ops game than the 1968 Topps Deckle Edge Clemente that I got recently. Kids are just not that into it as they used to be. But with the price of boxes and packs this is not a child's hobby any more and has not been a child's hobby in quite a while.

I will probably look to sell mine at so0me point for the same reason you just stated. nobody in my family is interested. Trying to deal with a collection and the space it takes after you lose someone isn't fair either, unless they are willing to tackle it. my wife is not. She jokes that she'll just call someone to haul it away when i die and i joke back that it would be her loss!

Selling is not something I think I will enjoy. I'm sure i'd be disappointed at the results and the shipping hassle is another story. Maybe I take the hit and see if I can sell it in one shot (pennies on the dollar and foolish, but maybe it works at the time?) or several smaller themed sales or perhaps try to consign it so that I don't have to do any work at all.

I guess we'll see and hopefully I don't bite it before I have a chance to deal with it.

I think it is all part of the genesis of collecting. When I started autograph collecting, it was getting every card signed I could at the start. Then I began to get specialized items signed. As we collect longer, our collections evolve. I've tried to keep the more meaningful items from my early years, but some have become trade bait to take my collection to new places.

thanks guys for your response. i appreciate it. im going to start selling off most of my collection on ebay. (ill keep a couple of my favorite pc items)(there are many reasons whi i want to sel my collection, one reason is there is something wrong with the hobby when a pack pulled factory certified autograph of a HOF Legend goes for $5-$6 and an autograph of player like mike trout or yasiel puig goes foe hundreds! how does that happen? what im finding out is, it is a pain in the !@# selling on ebay, having to deal with all the whiny, needy buyers. (300 lb, 40 year old virgins that still live in their parents basements!) i swear that seems to be the type of mentality im getting from problem buyers on ebay. so, im just trying to sell a ton, a off some bills and GREATLY reduce what i collect and buy anymore. really the buyers on ebay are out of control. years ago i had a buyer send me a message after he tried to rip me off (he tried the old "i received the card but it is damaged, but i want to keep it, so send me a partial refund or ill leave you negative feedback trick. when i didnt bow down and refund him some money back, he left me negative feedback and sent a message. saying" The best thing about EBAY feedback is the buyer ALWAYS has the last word!" yeah, thats pretty much sums up selling on feebay. he was right! sellers have no rights, the buyers rule that site.

Last edited: