BSL Vote: FA Compensation

What should happen with Free Agency compensation?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I say get rid of the system. There are WAY to many picks between rounds currently. I can pick 20th in the first round and then not pick again until 70th in the second round. A 70th pick in round two is usually junk. I have seen some teams with 8 or more Sup. picks. No way I can ever contend with that. That team would get at least 10 picks before I get 2.... Last few years of the draft, after my first round pick I don't even worry about my other picks as they are much later and anybody worth much is already gone.

Can the sup. picks be later in the draft? I think if they were after the third round it would be more fair. That way every team would have a chance to draft three rounds of players before any team gets 10 picks or more.

I signed one type A player a few years ago and it came back to bite me in the butt. I won't ever sign another Type A player again.

Just my two cents.

Ron

Last edited:
I voted to do away with it.. 2 reasons!!!

1. Any team could sign multiple type "A" and teams receive lower round draft picks after the signing team gives up their first round pick. I know because last season I had the #10 pick and signed 5 type "A,B" players. So I only drafted 4 players in last years draft(1st,6th,7th,8th). I knew my first round pick was protected and signing those FA would not affect me in the draft since my next pick was not going to be until pick #72-75...

2. Like Cory stated earlier.. The Supplemental round is longer than the first round with all the bonus picks. The team with the #1 pick doesn't get his second round pick until the #55-60 pick. Where doing away with the bonus picks, they would have had 3 picks by then. 1st,29th,57th picks

Just my thoughts on this.... Next thing to think about in doing away with the Rule 5 draft.. More than 2/3 of the league did not participate and just one more thing to not have to plan for after the season. Just 2 more cents added. LOL!!! Kendall

My biggest problem with doing away with compensation picks is cementing the rich get richer idea. I've got a $126 million dollar budget, $75 million in cash, and I think I'm at about $49 million in payroll with the 24 players on my 25 man roster. Imagine picking up 2 SP's, a 1B and a 3B all in the 3-4.5 star range talent wise, and not only do I not lose picks, my draft position is probably BETTER than it would be since there is no sandwich round. My current budget is 60-70 million more than the lowest teams. If LAD or St Louis has a 5 star player who is hitting free agency, I could sign them to a deal they couldn't afford AND still get a high ceiling draft pick, meanwhile they get a top ten pick that they won't be able to resign once his arb years are done

I vote to keep it in place... where most are saying the sup rd is clogging the 2nd and 3rd rds I actually plan my arb cases out looking ahead. If I have a few type A or B guys that I know I won't sign I usually take the chance of offering arb in hopes they reject and opening up the possibility for me to rcv a sup pick or two. In short, Its part of offseason planning and strategy for me and doing away with it would take a big chunck of offseason game play for me.

I voted to keep it mostly because it simulates the real scenario but also because I think it will just turn it into the big market big payroll teams (of which I am one) being able to control free agent market more. It is definitely a decision to play for the now and sign the free agent or play for a few years down the road and keep the picks. Remember just because he is a 1st round pick does not mean he will work out.

My sentiment exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Type A only costing teams holding picks 16-30 a 1st RDer, everyone else a 2nd RDer? It helps the lessor teams by making sure not only that they don't lose an early pick, but as you said signing a good free agent may only cost them the 60th pick of the draft.

We were hoping for a 28-team vote. We're currently at 21.

Odds are the system will stay in place at least one more year.

Personally, I hate it, LOL. Because we all know I love draft picks and minor leaguers, if you played with me in the BSL 1.0. Also hate the Rule 5 for the same reason. But anyways, I think it serves a purpose. But my thoughts in no particular order are

.....it cuts down on trade deadline deals, as guys turn around and tell me, no, I will just let him walk in free agency and get a pick. That doesn't always happen, and I think some owners need to start realizing, they aren't always going to get that pick. I know I have tried to make trades at the deadline, and that is the response I get. Only to see the guy still sitting there at the draft in June. Owners need to realize that there is no certainty that a guy will get signed, thus getting you a pick.

.....QUESTION - are the top 15 picks still safe, or since contraction of two teams, is just the top 14 picks now? Isn't it the first half? I have seen mention of the top 15, but I am wondering if that has now changed. Something I think that needs to be answered.

.....I also think some of the owners in top half of the draft seem to forget that they don't lose their 1st round, but even if they do, they don't want to make their 2nd round pick later than it is, so they don't sign anyone to expand the supplimental round. There are some really good teams that aren't far away from contending, that currently have picks in the top 14. And they have the budget and/or money to spend, but yet they seem to stay clear of the Type A free agents. Is it because they hear other teams complain, teams that are in the second half of the draft? I don't know, but what I do know, is that if I was a team in the top half, I would be signing guys left and right if I have the money. Sure fire way to balance the league talent-wise, but most seem not to ( I applaude Gene and his Phils, as they are spending some money). When I got here in the middle of the 2013 season, I finished with a pick in the top half of the draft. Unfortunately, there wasn't much Type A or B talent that year. But mark it down, if it happens to me again, I will be very active. Kinda like Tampa was last year, and the same with Toronto. I got compensation last year for Joe Mauer from Tampa, a stinking 4th round selection which was like pick 170 or something. If you have some cash/budget, once you give up that first pick, everything else is cheap, LOL. Who cares if you give up pick #170 for a guy like Joe Mauer? Or pick 150 for a guy like Connor Browning?

.....too many teams worried about their picks than worried about improving their team NOW. If you are picking in the first half, your 1st rounder is safe. If you have some money/budget, grab those quality guys, as either they are going to help you win, or you could use them for trade bait down the line. I forgot who I signed last year, but I did sign someone that cost me my 1st rounder. But I picked up a guy like Richar last year right at the June draft for $1M and he was solid for me down the stretch and in the post season. And then got him to resign for 2017 for a low amount of $1.5M. That to me is a bargain that is paying dividends , and he could be traded for a prospect more than likely that is better than what I could have gotten in the 100's of the draft.

Sorry for the rambling, but my thoughts. Also, Cory or Nick, can someone confirm that cutoff - is it #14 or #15, as I am sure it is of importance to the Seattle Mariners.