Bye Bye Tuff Stuff!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not a fan of that particular publication. Maybe it was better before it became a huge bundle of ads. Funny it's demise is not enough ad sales. Yeah, try filling 200 pages with ads!!

I still miss Baseball Cards Magazine (also by Krause), my favorite card publication of all.

Use to pick up Tuff Stuff and the Beckett magazine up at my local hobby store.....stopped the Tuff Stuff a few years ago. To cut back on costs. Sorry to see them leave the field for Beckett Magazine. Best regards, David

A shame to see it go, but it was inevitable. It was always a distant second in sales to Beckett.

What I don't like, overall, is how the hobby, in general, is moving towards a monopoly in all aspects. One magazine, one sport per manufacturer, etc.
I'm really starting to miss the competitive nature of the companies wanting our money. Now it's just, meh, if you collect you gotta stick with whomever is producing that sport/magazine.

Jason

Back in the late 90's when I had my shop, I believe I may have been the only dealer in the country to carry Tuff Stuff instead of Becketts, lol...

I hated the fact that Beckett had a different magazine for everything, and Tuff Stuff priced all things, even SLU's and memorabilia. I also felt Beckett over inflated values more so than Tuff Stuff.

Even though I have not piucked up a Tuff Stuff in years, I am saddened to see it fold... :(

Another one bites the dust.

I used to LOVE Baseball Hobby News back in the day. Even the old Baseball Cards magazine by Krause was fun to look at..as well as the old SCF!

Tim

Boy, is that sad to hear. Back in the day, I could not wait to read T. J. Schwartz's "On your side" column every month.

Scott

It depends on your interests. There are plenty of remaining avenues to pursue that doesn't involve lining the major's pockets. I don't buy new hobby magazines or packs. I get secondary market items. I could collect forever and never spend another dime on new product or periodicals. The consumer in masses tells the market what it can/can't do. If enough people didn't buy Topps because of crummy product or poor customer service, they would hear it eventually.

What I don't like, overall, is how the hobby, in general, is moving towards a monopoly in all aspects. One magazine, one sport per manufacturer, etc.
I'm really starting to miss the competitive nature of the companies wanting our money. Now it's just, meh, if you collect you gotta stick with whomever is producing that sport/magazine.

Jason

The biggest thing people would is compare prices.Both beckett and tuff stuff always said this is not a guide to sell cards by,just a feed back from sellers.Well people do buy and sell by these.But as was spoken tuff stuff had to much junk mail,I picked up beckett baseball card plus with who knows how many listings.But the first one I looked up,was not listed.Competetion is good,dictating the market is bad.

Sign of the times, I guess. Don't like another publication being out of the business, though.

I wish Tuff Stuff really would have put forth a lot more effort. We really need a serious competitor for Beckett.

Couldn't have said it any better. I never liked buying Tuff Stuff personally, but they should've put forth a better effort for sure to compete

Jason

Exactly. My heart sank when I read the article about Topps being named the official maker of baseball cards. It sucks that eventually the hobby is going to pretty much become a monopoly

I actually prefer the diversity in the writing found in Tuff Stuff to Beckett. What a bummer seeing yet another part of our hobby gone.

I never bought Tuff Stuff, I only read it when they give it out at the doors at local card shows but the writing was absolutely the best thing about the magazine. Absolutely better, well most of the time, then Beckett

Hate to see it go too. But like someone else said, if the market won't support it....

I also felt Beckett over inflated values more so than Tuff Stuff.
(

I hope you weren't one of those unscupulous dealers that caused immeasurable harm to the hobby. There were/are other guides used for the same purpose but generally, when selling, out came the Beckett guide. When buying, out came Tuff Stuff.

EDIT: "traders" also pull the same scam

Between 80% of the collector base shrinking since 1990 and the rise of the Internet, it's amazing that anything is left. I ran into a recent copy of SCD and it was barely a pamphlet. I remember that it was shipped in 2 sections of a combined 300-350 pages tabloid size in the early 1990's.

Anyone remember those sheets of cards Tuff Stuff (and Tuff Stuff Jr!, remember that one?) printed in their mags?