eBay Feedback Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackatl

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I recently purchased a card on eBay that the seller charged $4.95 for shipping and handling, but then sent it in a PWE with a single stamp. Luckily, it came through okay, but I sent him the following message:

"I received this card but I was charged $4.95 shipping and handling, and the card was sent with just a $0.44 stamp. Could I please receive a refund for the difference in shipping which would be $4.51? Thanks,"

Here is his exact reply:

"shipping was .44 cents ....posting...(.which takes time) time is money.. ebay fees...paypal fees...gas to go to the post office...hardcovers ..tape ..envelopes.. .15 CENTS for the card... HANDLING PRICELESS!!! and you received the card in the condition that you bought it in...GET OVER IT!! "

Now, it is clearly against eBay rules to charge for some of the things he listed, so I told him this, and again requested a refund or I would leave appropriate feedback. He laid into me with some nasty language which I won't post here, so I left a negative feedback. Well, this was about a month ago, and I NEVER leave negative feedback, so for the heck of it, I checked his feedback to see if any one else had similar experiences. His shipping charge rating was definitely low (under 4.0 out of 5.0), but to my surprise, they had removed my negative feedback! I was shocked!

I wanted to send a message to eBay just asking why they would remove my feedback, but I looked all through the "Customer Support" (or Customer Non-Support, as Clark Howard might say) on eBay, and there was no link to questions about feedback that pertained to an issue like this. So I was going to throw it out to you guys, why would they remove my feedback? Is it because technically I "threatened to leave negative feedback" if I didn't get a refund?

Thanks for the read.

Jack

it's because eBay is run by a bunch of elitist hacks who have no idea what their customers want nor how to run a business. don't know how it happened but their last ceo meg whitman, paid herself an ungodly amount of money and then ran the company into the ground. fees, fees, fees and more fees is the new credo at ebay. too bad to, because this used to be a great idea and the only place to go for cards. no longer. there are many other choices out there now and more being created all the time.

don't try to fight the powers that be at ebay. you will only frustrate yourself to no end and accomplish nothing. trust me; i have been through the ringer with them over many issues, over many years. nothing changes and they could care less what is right or wrong. i would recommend you just leave it alone and move on. chalk it up as a lesson learned and watch for exorbitant shipping costs and avoid those listings unless you are willing to pay the sellers fees. one thing you can do if you ever run into a high shipping fee like this again is, before bidding or buying, send the seller an email message through ebay and ask if they will lower their shipping fees. if you get the same nasty response, let them know because of it, you are not going to bid now. you may be surprised at some sellers' responses as i have had them lower the shipping many times just to get the sale. it works for me most of the time. when it doesn't i simply let the seller know why i won't bid on their item and give them something to chew on!

just my two cents' worth! good luck whatever you decide to do!

I have left a total of three negative feedback over the last four years and all three were removed.

The last one was for a guy who charged $2.50 for shipping, sent the package with DC via Paypal and I got it within two days. Why negative? He put a Priority Mail sticker over the "F" printed in the corner of the Paypal label. I was charged the difference of the First Class he paid for and the priority Mail. When I wrote to him, he basically said he didn't request the upgrade and that USPS was dumb for paying attention to the sticker, which he affixed.

When it was removed, I called eBay and was told that since he didn't have any other negatives, they were allowed to remove it at his request.

jackatl - It may not do any good, but I would send all of the messages you have from him to eBay. I would also be on the phone trying to figure out why the feedback you left was removed. What's the point of having a feedback system if it can be removed because someone asks for it to be. Best of luck!

Thanks
Craig

jackatl - It may not do any good, but I would send all of the messages you have from him to eBay. I would also be on the phone trying to figure out why the feedback you left was removed. What's the point of having a feedback system if it can be removed because someone asks for it to be. Best of luck!

Thanks
Craig

That's the thing that is strange to me. All of our messages were sent through the eBay message system, so they would easily be able to see the back and forth, and why the negative feedback might be warranted. I will keep on them, thanks for the reply.

Jack

One reason might be that he forwarded your email indicating you would leave "appropriate feedback" if you didn't get your refund. This happened to me once (not for the same reasons, but the feedback part) and the negative was removed, basically because I was holding feedback over his head.

I had emailed the guy who has failed to deliver my item, telling him that I wanted my card of I would leave negative feedback. I was warned by ebay for "extorting" something by using feedback as a tool. In the end, they negative was removed and I never got my card! Sometimes you have to wonder. Definitely don't ever put into writing to a seller that you'll leave negative feedback, even if it is deserved, because I think that will guarantee that if you do, it will be removed.

I think the best way to deal with clueless sellers is to file a PP claim. That almost always seems to work.

Did you communicate thru the issues list on the auction? Or did you just send direct emails?
That response looks almost exactly like one that I got a few months ago from a real nice seller (I hope you all pick up on the dripping sarcasm here). I had a nice ToTT GU card that showed up in a PWE and a stamp. I used the auction response and gave a negative with low scores. Ebay left my negative though.

Good luck with this. You would think that by now every seller would package their products appropriately.

Thanks,

One reason might be that he forwarded your email indicating you would leave "appropriate feedback" if you didn't get your refund. This happened to me once (not for the same reasons, but the feedback part) and the negative was removed, basically because I was holding feedback over his head.

I had emailed the guy who has failed to deliver my item, telling him that I wanted my card of I would leave negative feedback. I was warned by ebay for "extorting" something by using feedback as a tool. In the end, they negative was removed and I never got my card! Sometimes you have to wonder. Definitely don't ever put into writing to a seller that you'll leave negative feedback, even if it is deserved, because I think that will guarantee that if you do, it will be removed.

I think the best way to deal with clueless sellers is to file a PP claim. That almost always seems to work.

I've dealt with several "clueless" nasty/rude/insulting sellers. After the first offensive email I simply quit communicating in any way with them and file a pp claim.

And I NEVER say what future actions I will or won't be taking.

"requested a refund or I would leave appropriate feedback"

that (feedback extortion) is exactly why he was able to have it removed....that's seen as an ever bigger no-no than overcharging for shipping and handling

going further -
you are quite right in your opinion he overcharged you and your comment that based upon strict adherence to their TOS ebay doesn't allow users to cover their ebay or pay pal fees with inflated shipping charges.....

that said , i also think you may have come out with better results with your request for a partial refund if you hadn't asked for the exact difference in s/h paid and postage used....remember , shipping and handling includes the cost of postage as well as the supplies used AND in some cases (especially if the seller is a "real" business) labor costs.....

Always ask in nice words for a partial refund for the postage.....If he refuses or get nasty or no reply...then hit him with the netural or negative! Once you sink to his level....you lose. Best regards, David

Jack I usually just ignore listing for single cards with postage over $ 2.00. I will sometimes request prebid that I will bid if seller agrees for me to send a sase at my risk

If he says yes I will bid. If he does not..then just move on.

Ebay appears to be trying to crack down on sellers who try to reduce their total ebay fees by charging a high amount for postage & handling and selling cards for a buck or less so that the net effect to selleris higher profit since ebay does not charge any fee based on postage ( Unless that has been changed)

I recently purchased a card on eBay that the seller charged $4.95 for shipping and handling, but then sent it in a PWE with a single stamp. Luckily, it came through okay, but I sent him the following message:

"I received this card but I was charged $4.95 shipping and handling, and the card was sent with just a $0.44 stamp. Could I please receive a refund for the difference in shipping which would be $4.51? Thanks,"

Here is his exact reply:

"shipping was .44 cents ....posting...(.which takes time) time is money.. ebay fees...paypal fees...gas to go to the post office...hardcovers ..tape ..envelopes.. .15 CENTS for the card... HANDLING PRICELESS!!! and you received the card in the condition that you bought it in...GET OVER IT!! "

Now, it is clearly against eBay rules to charge for some of the things he listed, so I told him this, and again requested a refund or I would leave appropriate feedback. He laid into me with some nasty language which I won't post here, so I left a negative feedback. Well, this was about a month ago, and I NEVER leave negative feedback, so for the heck of it, I checked his feedback to see if any one else had similar experiences. His shipping charge rating was definitely low (under 4.0 out of 5.0), but to my surprise, they had removed my negative feedback! I was shocked!

I wanted to send a message to eBay just asking why they would remove my feedback, but I looked all through the "Customer Support" (or Customer Non-Support, as Clark Howard might say) on eBay, and there was no link to questions about feedback that pertained to an issue like this. So I was going to throw it out to you guys, why would they remove my feedback? Is it because technically I "threatened to leave negative feedback" if I didn't get a refund?

Thanks for the read.

Jack

Always ask in nice words for a partial refund for the postage.....If he refuses or get nasty or no reply...then hit him with the netural or negative! Once you sink to his level....you lose. Best regards, David

I feel like that is what I did, and then eBay took away the negative feedback for no valid reason. I know it's not worth the time/energy, but it's just disappointing.

Jack

Jack I usually just ignore listing for single cards with postage over $ 2.00. I will sometimes request prebid that I will bid if seller agrees for me to send a sase at my risk

If he says yes I will bid. If he does not..then just move on.

Ebay appears to be trying to crack down on sellers who try to reduce their total ebay fees by charging a high amount for postage & handling and selling cards for a buck or less so that the net effect to selleris higher profit since ebay does not charge any fee based on postage ( Unless that has been changed)

YES, that was changed quite some time ago. Sellers get charged the full percentage for the entire purchase price, from ebay and paypal.

Won't buy a single card with over $2 s/h ? I charge $2.50 for singles and I think that's pretty darn reasonable ! Postage costs $1.64 + I lose 28 cents to ebay/paypal + I use new penny sleeve/topload/team bag/bubble mailer.

I feel like that is what I did, and then eBay took away the negative feedback for no valid reason. I know it's not worth the time/energy, but it's just disappointing.
Jack

What you did was reasonable BUT you need to learn the system. As far as ebay is concerned you said "do what I want or I'll hurt your fb rating". Personally i think it sucks ! But whether you agree with this or not doesn't make any difference, it's their plapen their rules.

You must be joking.. While I have purchased some cards on COMC to finish sets I have found the fees that COMC charges are excessive to me

In my experience comc was fantastic as a buyer. Selling cards there ? No thank you.

good lord this is ridiculous. What is the point of feedback if you can get your negitives removed? As some of you may know here, I can be a little slow on shipping, but this is crazy. I had a few lots that I sold on the bay this year and had to wait for the money for almost a month because I didn't have the right track record for shipping. I hadn't sold for a few years and didn't know that they changed the policy on paypal. Well I think the reason I sold the cards was the fact that I needed money, and generally would use the money from the auction to SHIP THE CARDS. But NOOOOOO had to use my own money to ship and wait a FKR(%*$)#*#) month to get my dough. UGH

In the situation originally described where the seller charged $5 for shipping and sent in a PWE but the card was not damaged, I would have sent a message to the seller letting him know that buyers are going to be angry over that so he probably shouldn't do it. I would then leave positive feedback (I paid the price I expected to and got a card in the condition that was stated) with a 1 DSR for shipping price and maybe a 3 on communication, as it's expected with a $5 shipping price that the card will be sent well protected and he did not mention otherwise in his auction. If he gets enough low DSR's he will be hurt more than by a removed negative.

Richard

If I got charged $5 for s/h and the card showed up in a PWE, I would write the seller and say "I have not received the card yet. Can I get the DC # so I can track it?" Muahahahaaaa

I think if you don't use DC on ebay, you're begging to get ripped off...

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.