Finding local trading clubs/groups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyGiantFan56

Prospect
Hey all,

I had a question: are card trading groups still a thing?
If so, how do I locate one in my area?

As much as I love trading here on the Bench or buying
autographed items from eBay, i've recently become
interested in taking my trading offline to meet other collectors.

Hope all is well with all of you. Happy collecting!

Mike

I recently found a card shop at my local flee market who’s been in business 5 years but in the hobby for many years. He told me to come join his trade group at his shop. Once per month we all meet from all sports, trading, buying, telling good sports stories, and some go on small group trips to their favorite sports team games in the area. I live in NY, and since I do not buy off eBay, or trade much on the bench. I am from the era of if I can’t handle it I don’t want it. Doing a trade group once a month brought me many benefits like email address, new friend within the same hobby, deals, first time heads up on something new coming to the hobby besides all that we have great pizza, pop at our meeting.

What I can tell you head to your favorite shop speak to them on starting up a trade night once a month, and will help them (if they have interest) that you would help host it with a staff member. Otherwise, open up your own shop (small) and make up your own trade night, or come move to my city and attend our trade night.

There's a shop near my home.
Going to check it out on payday this week. I think
bringing it up to them would be a terrific idea.

Have a yard sale and advertise on places like craigslist that your selling cards. If enough people stop by you might be able to start your own trading group. Could meet at a rec center or other public place. You could also post in craigslists' community section that you're looking for fellow local traders.

Last edited:
I agree with the local card shop suggestion- contact them first to see if they already do trade nights. Our local shop does them and they are a blast- sometimes the trading leans towards inserts/high end stuff, but once you get to know everyone, you'll find out who swaps singles.

Another suggestion if no one in your area is doing a trade night is to organize one yourself- I suggest using Meet Up, a website where people can advertise outings/events/activities for like minded folks- you'll see they have thousands of topics/things going on. Build it slowly, use the local shops to make it known, post event info on craigslist, all good ways of connecting to collectors.

My local hobby store....had one on second saturday of every month.....nobody was trading.....so it was cancelled....Easily to trade on the Bench!! Best regards, David