Good lord Matt Bush. What happened to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M's in 2006

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Back in my heavy card buying/trading days (2004) I picked up all Matt Bush cards I could find. Was hoping he would amount to something. after 8 years, and not seeing anything about him, decided to look it up online:

On March 22, 2012, Bush was charged with DUI and hit and run in Port Charlotte, Florida. He hit a 72-year-old motorcyclist, running over his head as he fled the scene with an SUV he stole from teammate Brandon Guyer.[14] He was transported to the Charlotte County Jail and charged with fleeing the scene with serious injuries, driving with a suspended license with serious injuries, DUI with serious injuries, and DUI with property damage. His bond is currently over $1 million. Previously in the day, Bush had sideswiped a vehicle while attempting an illegal U-Turn and fled from the scene. He also struck a telephone pole in the same day.

What a crazy individual! Anyone want his auto? LOL ;0) I hope he rots in jail for this kind of behavior. Way to throw your future away.

B

You are a couple weeks past a few threads on him. I think he will be convicted and sentenced to at least 5 years in prison if not more as this is very similar to the case of the DUI death of Nick Adenhart where the guy got 50+ years for previous DUI and driving while suspended, only thing different is the outcome for the victim. Whatever the case, he won't play again, he was a washout as a position player and there just isn't any leyway teams are going to give for a relief pitcher wit these kind of problems.

Oh great so this auto of his i pulled is worthless now... :-(
BUSHMATT.jpg

Yup. I got 2 of the Bowman Heritage, along with variations of the BC and Donruss Elite Extra Editions.... Guess I'll file em away in my box with all my Barry Bonds rookies now ;) bummer.

How can you throw your future away like that. Tragic.

Brian

Yup. I got 2 of the Bowman Heritage, along with variations of the BC and Donruss Elite Extra Editions.... Guess I'll file em away in my box with all my Barry Bonds rookies now ;) bummer.

How can you throw your future away like that. Tragic.

Brian

I wouldn't go that far.:eek: yet.......

For all of you who had autos of him, sorry for your loss. Having invested in a few bucks in a player that will not pan out is a tragedy. It's times like these that we need to come together as on on-line community and support one another.

Depends. Team collectors may still want them. If he goes away, that keeps him from the fans and that could build demand in the auto, but it usually helps if you were a good player to begin with, like a Denny McLain type.

LOL. Nobody has talked about the fact that its going in my box with my Barry Bonds rookies LOL ;) If Michael Vick can make a comeback, I guess Bush could too. Look at Josh Hamilton :), But this guy has had such a history of problems, without talent like Hamilton did. Who knows. I must have shelled out over 100$ for these auto's though. Stuff like that always stings.

B

maybe someone collects players who end up in jail.

I have OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth in my "unusual & funny" collection as examples of elite athletes gone bad. I don't think I have enough space in my house to collect cards of all athletes that have been in jail though !

I have OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth in my "unusual & funny" collection as examples of elite athletes gone bad. I don't think I have enough space in my house to collect cards of all athletes that have been in jail though !

While I'm not a player collector, I did go out of my way to get some rare parallels of Carruth since he's from Sacramento.

LOL. Nobody has talked about the fact that its going in my box with my Barry Bonds rookies LOL ;) If Michael Vick can make a comeback, I guess Bush could too. Look at Josh Hamilton :), But this guy has had such a history of problems, without talent like Hamilton did. Who knows. I must have shelled out over 100$ for these auto's though. Stuff like that always stings.

B

What about post #6?????:confused: :confused:

There are a number of interesting criminal characters. We all just expect professional athletes to be good guys and when they aren't, it's like a train wreck that you can't look away from.

For those of you who collect autographs, this type of behavior can become a serious challenge. Some go to jail (Willie Mays Aikens, Denny McLain, Toe Nash), while others just disappear! Byron McLaughlin tops the list for me, as he is on several Mariner cards I'd like signed. Google him if you don't know the story. There isn't much, but it is interesting.

I've learned of a few lately that I was unaware of, the most shocking was Mel Hall. I had heard nothing of this at the time, at least I don't remember it if I did. He'll be in prison for a while!

I got a nice 2004 Bowman Sterling auto/gu I can sell you if you'd like to add it to the collection! LOL