How are you dealing with the high postage costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaSoxFan

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I am curious how everyone is dealing with the high postage costs. I can't get a bubble mailer sent for under $5 these days. Hard to justify a $15-20 BV trade for $5 in postage. Sorta tough to sell a few vintage cards with a $5 plus bubble mailer fee.

Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Side note is it still pricey to ship to Canada? I stopped a few years back when those rates skyrocketed.

thanks

I do a lot of little trades....so if its three or less cards...I go the pwe route. However, I don't write anything on the envelope...Once you write do not bend or non-machine....means it cost more as the manual hand process cost more. I also put the card or cards in top loader (regular top loader for one card and 120 point for two to three cards) I alway use scott tape to seal the envelope and tape it around the edges of the envelope....as it will be going thru the machine....u don't want the top loader falling out as the corners can be damaged...the tape adds extra protection. Plus I use a rubber band on the top loader so the card does not come out! Better than tape or duck tape as the card can become struck to the tape!! One card in top loader...I use one forever stamp and one extra ounch stamp. Two cards.....two for ever stamps ...three cards....two forever stamp plus one extra ounch stamp. Best regards, David PS plus if its four to six cards....I have seem where members do two separate PWE for the cards.

Trying to remember the last time I actually made a trade.....

I use bubble mailers for higher value cards, thicker cards (GU, etc) and anything more than 8 cards, regardless of value. 8 "base" cards I will put into a PWE and secure it properly.

@David K. mentions using 2 PWE's for smaller value trades with a good amount of cards, and I have received trades that way without any issues.

Bottom line to me is that I will ship my end of the trade by whatever means will ensure the best chance of safe delivery.

It's a risk but I mailed a few trades a few months ago as "first class mail, large envelope" by weighing and buying postage at the post office automated self-service kiosk (probably only larger post offices have such a kiosk). I affixed the label to the bubble mailer and dropped it in the mail slot at the post office. The other trader received in a few days with no issues. FCM large envelope rates are definitely higher than they used to be, but definitely cheaper than FCM parcel rates. Some traders pack cards into a thinner envelope as "first class non-machinable," which also works well for some folks.

Once the post office reclassified bubble mailers as parcels/packages, it made trading much tougher for all of us.

The cost increases definitely made it tougher to make smaller trades now than it was 10-15 years ago.

Anything larger than PWE I use a shipping service to generate my own labels at a discounted shipping rate. There are several services like that to choose from (I use PayPal Shipping). I have not paid retail prices in years on anything with tracking involved and avoid standing in a line anywhere.

I'm not sure how some of you guys that have been trading for years, don't know how to print your own labels at home using PayPal shipping or Pirate Ship or any of the other online shipping services. It's less than $4 to ship to most of the US for me. West coast costs just over $4.

I also find it amusing that people who are willing to buy boxes of cards for 100's of dollars and then complain that it costs $4-$5 to ship something.

I have not made a trade outside of a PWE or freebie for about a year. My problem is massive disorganization and time constraints for searching and pulling cards. That being said I do know Postage rates can give you sticker shock in recent years.

When I was trading heavily, I always tried to have the value of the cards involved be over 10X the postage I was paying. Since most of my trades probably averaged $100, Postage was not a factor since I never had a $10 charge on anything I sent. Of course there were occasions where I was paying 6 or 7 dollars for a $40 trade but I'd say 80-90 % of the time my shipments well exceeded the 10 goal.

Talk about changing times, I still have a 900 ct. box from March of 2006 that was sent to me by a trading friend from the Boston area that cost %5.60 to mail! Granted the trip was not that long (Boston to Syracuse) but the box was totally full of cards. I wonder what that would cost to mail now!?!?!

Using something like paypal shipping is the way to go for a first class package. But there is a limit on weight before you have to go to a different type of mailing. I think it's 16 oz. Most of my outgoing is a pwe. I always use a non-machinable stamp which cost $1.03 for 1 oz. I use a number 10 envelope and with one top loader in it, it is not consistenty firm and that is why my postmaster requires the non-machinable cost. I see from my incoming that most of the pwe I get are shored up with cardboard to get the first class letter rate. I don't see how most of them get through because the extra cardboard may put it over 1 oz, so you would have to pay more. I don't have that much cardboard on hand to firm up a no. 10 envelope. I see a lot of people using the free flat rate boxes from the post office as packing.

I'm not sure how some of you guys that have been trading for years, don't know how to print your own labels at home using PayPal shipping or Pirate Ship or any of the other online shipping services. It's less than $4 to ship to most of the US for me. West coast costs just over $4.

I also find it amusing that people who are willing to buy boxes of cards for 100's of dollars and then complain that it costs $4-$5 to ship something.
If it comes down to buying $100 box or shipping 20 trades, i’d buy the box and not trade everyday. Everyone enjoys the hobby differently.

Like someone said above, paypal.com/shipnow is the only way to ship. It only goes up to a certain weight, but you're basically paying $3.50 for up to around 4 ounces depending on how far the package is going from your house. I haven't used anything but that to ship in years.

If it comes down to buying $100 box or shipping 20 trades, i’d buy the box and not trade everyday. Everyone enjoys the hobby differently.
That's fine. But there are people who send expensive cards in pwe's because they are too cheap to pay $4 for a bubblemailer. That's my concern. I've had quite a few cards get damaged in pwe's and then the other trader acts like it's my fault and doesn't want to make it right (especially gu cards).

I bought these ebay standard envelopes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256059598969

Can probably fit 4 cards in toploaders, add 1 forever stamp for each 1 oz. of weight. No tracking, but seems to work ok.
I wouldn't do this for cards worth more than $20. At $20+, it's a normal BMWT (that includes up to $100 of ins. coverage).

I actually just used their ebay standard envelope shipping today and it cost me $1.11 to mail 1 card, and easy.

Also, I don't wait in lines at the post office or get postage from them, too long, too expensive.
Everything is done online and I simply drop off packages.

As a long time card collector/ trader as well as former postal employee, I'm seeing a lot of people wasting postage and other people risking getting their cards damaged in machines and or returned for inadequate postage. Here are some things to know and best ways to ship PWE (and also abide by the USPS guidelines, which I'm all for bending the rules if you wanna risk it and do have a few tricks thaht I use , but here is some legitimate, cost effective way(s) to ship PWE and not get damaged or returned .

First off, you shouldn't be using forever stamps on pwe's at all unless it is with standard cards that are in nothing more than a penny sleeve.
If youre using semi rigid or top loader (never have an envelope exceed 1/4 inch)., THIS is the stamp you should use. Read the last paragraph on that page for more info. It covers rigid (non bendable) envelopes and the extra charge covers the cost of handling manually and it does not go in a machine that can mangle your card prottector).

If your envelope exceeds 1oz, don't put another butterfly or a forever stamp on there. Stock up on additionl ounce stamps. They are 24 cents and you can use up to two (envelopes should not exceed 3 oz).

Something I would recommend experimenting with- cut the top row and the side with the 3 holes off of a 9 card Ultra Pro page and put multiple cards in the pockets with a tiny piece of tape over the slots and fold in half and put in a standard size envelope. I mail about 15 low value singles this way for $1.54 (1 non machinable butterly stamp, plus 2 add'l oz stamps).

Another thing (nothing to do with USPS) I'd recommned is do not use scotch tape. Surely youive received stuff taped with it, and know it's a pain in the ass. Use blue painters tape. It's $1.25 at a place like Dollar Tree and peels off easy with no residue.

One number to remember is 0.4oz which is the weight of a standard card in sleeve and top loader with a tiny bit of blue tape at the top. So, two of those in a small Mead #8 envelope usually weighs exactly 1 ounce.

I reccommend spending a few bucks on one of THESE. I paid like 10 bucks for one years ago and it saves a lot of worrying about being over or adding stamps unnecessarily.

I know this could be laid out in a better format but I kinda just typed it quickly off the top of my head hoping to help some people who are a bit unsure or misinformed.

can I get more details on paypal shipping? is it a free service? is a sale required to utilize the service? or can i just bookmark it and use it whenever I need it? wasnt aware such a service existed...thanks