Interested In Your Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThreeLions

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I am currently involved in an auction report situation on eBay. No biggie, and it will get taken care of, but I'm interested to know what other members think.

Buyer places a bid on an auction and wins card.
Seller has within his description the fact that he expects payment within three days.
Six days after the end of the auction Seller reports buyer to eBay for non-payment.
Buyer pays for auction once notification is received. Buyer also contacts Seller and asks why a reminder was not sent rather than a report filed.
Seller states that the filing was a reminder and that the Buyer should keep up with his auctions.

Obviously I am one of these people and have tried to be as objective as I can in reporting just the facts.

Here are my questions:
As a Seller would you immediately report a Buyer or would you send them a PM reminding them that payment is due?
As a Buyer would you just suck it up, accept the filing and pay up then leave it be or would you open a dialogue with the Seller to let him know your stance?

Just interested to see what others think.

DAVE

Hi Dave,

As a seller, I usually give them 3 or 4 days to pay, then send an email asking if everything is okay and reminding them to pay. I do offer to work something out if there is a problem. As a buyer I pretty much always pay within 24 hrs. Have never had a problem. Hope this helps some.

Adam

I give people up to 5 days to pay, after that I usually send them the invoice one more time as a reminder. After another two days I go ahead and file non-payment if I have not heard back from the buyer.

Should the seller send a reminder when they don't receive payment? Well it would be nice, but it's not required. Could be that the seller does lots of volume and doesn't have time to mess around sending lots of reminders, or maybe they used to do that and they were ****** around and never got payment a bunch of times so they just decided to stop.

If I were the buyer I'd pay and open a dialogue just to let him know I was sorry I forgot. No need to chastise him when as a buyer I was the one who screwed up and didn't pay.

If I were a seller I'd send them a reminder before reporting them, but that's just me. If I were running a bunch of auctions I might feel different.

Richard

I always tried to keep in mind that unlike me, not everyone is on Ebay daily. Some folks only get there once or twice a week. I always sent the original invoice, gave them a week, and then sent a reminder if no reply or payment was received. I certainly would NEVER file a non-payment report after 3 days, utterly ridiculous, IMO. Do you only trade with people here who could ship within 3 days? Kind of tough, again, IMO.

as a buyer I ALWAYS pay w/in 48 hours (usually alot quicker) ... as a seller, I ask that payment is made w/in 5 days days of end of auction; I have an automatic message set up that is sent to the buyer after 8 days that their payment is due - after that I will file a claim - thanks, erik

I do something similar to this. I give seven days and then send a message followed by the invoice.

I give people up to 5 days to pay, after that I usually send them the invoice one more time as a reminder. After another two days I go ahead and file non-payment if I have not heard back from the buyer.

I always try to pay as soon as the action ends...but once in a while payment is send about 3 or 4 days later. So I would go with the nice (Meliah) statement first before filing a report. Best regards, David

as a buyer , i USUALLY pay within 24 hours unless i've already communicated otherwise to the seller...

as a seller , i always send an invoice the night the listing closes unless the bidder has also bid on other items that end at a later date....i state in all my listings that payment is due within 7 days (which i believe is still the minimum ebay will allow before letting a seller file open an unpaid item case)....

if the item has not been paid for 48 hours after the listing ends , ebay will automatically send a reminder to the buyer (unless the seller has manually turned that feature off)....USUALLY , if the item has not been paid for within 6 days , i will either send a reminder e-mail OR re-send the invoice ....ebay will also automatically open an unpaid item case on the 8th day after the listing ends (again , unless the seller chooses not to disable that feature)....

in ANY event , calm and reasonable communication would be the best route IMO....

I send an invoice the day the auction closes.
I will send a reminder 4 or 5 days after the auction closes.
I send a personal message at 7 days.

File on 9th day.

Guys, I appreciate the responses. In this case I am the buyer. My feedback to date is 100%. I simply overlooked payment of this one item and Sod's Law says it would be payment to an over-eager seller. I, for one, will avoid buying from him again even if he has the 1/1 I may be chasing!!! ;)

DAVE

in ANY event , calm and reasonable communication would be the best route IMO....

As a buyer it really tugs my berries when the first contact from a seller is something like a ebay dispute.

As a seller.... Why would I want to do anything other than gently remind my buyer to pay ?

As a seller:
After 3 days or so I will send another Invoice. Easy to do....just the click of a button. I will send another Invoice after 3 more days. If no response from buyer I open ebay dispite. 7 days - 3 Invoices

Ebay now sends a reminder to pay for items after 3 or 4 days automatically.

Yeah, Ebay really pissed me off when they added that. I had deals going with multiple auction winners that wanted to bid on more items and ebay starts sending them payment reminders. They were like "what's the problem, I thought we had an understanding". Thank you ebay for once again determining the best way for me to do business and then thrusting...THRUSTING.... it upon me ! :(

Fortunately it can be turned off.