Looking for help in identifying a Nomar card...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottzoe

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hi guys,
I have got a 2004 Fleer Showcase Grace Nomar Garciaparra card, that I can not identify and could some some help...
According to Becket, there are 5 variations of the 2004 Fleer Showcase Grace cards...

The base insert no serial number....

2004 Fleer Showcase Grace 3 Nomar Garciaparra

front
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_3_nomar.jpg

back
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_3_nomar_back.jpg

the game used variation again no serial number...

2004 Fleer Showcase Grace Game Used NG Nomar Garciaparra Jsy
front
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar.jpg

back
oops, I'll have to rescan it....

the game used gold variation numbered to 150...
front
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar_gold.jpg

back
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar_gold_back.jpg

the game used reward variation numbered to 50...

2004 Fleer Showcase Grace Game Used Reward NG Nomar Garciaparra Jsy/50
front
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar_reward_23-50.jpg

back
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar_reward_23-50_back.jpg

and the the game used patch variation numbered to 50...

2004 Fleer Showcase Grace Game Patch NG Nomar Garciaparra
I don't have this one either...

But I do have one that does not appear to be listed....numbered to 50..

front
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar_unknown_31-50.jpg

back
2004_fleer_showcase_grace_sgng_nomar_unknown_31-50_back.jpg

So, my question is, what do I have?
The border is a gold or copper foil as opposed to the silver foil on the base card.
Both the reward and game used variation have a blue foil.
The scans of other players patch versions I have seen do say "game worn jersey" on the front, but would be numbered SG-NGP and say it is a patch on the back.
Is this the gold version, even though it should be numbered to 150? Becket does not mention any short printed players from the set, but of course, that does not mean there aren't any.
Is this something from the Bankruptcy? All of the bankruptcy cards I have seen so far (of any type) have not had serial numbers.

So any light that can be shed, it would be most appreciated!
Thnaks,
Scott

Last edited:
you could have what is called "reward" they were issued only in dealer packs. They do vary in print runs from 44-55. one of those could be that...

here are the runs of that card:
basic (1 in 48 packs hobby/retail)
patch (print run 50)
gold (print run of 150)
reward (print run between 44-55)

According to what I can tell from mine, it appears you have a "patch" version without the patch.

I had considered that. I have only seen 1 patch card from the set, but the card had a P in the card number and the word patch in the text on the back.However, the foil color and the numbering do match the patch version.

you could have what is called "reward" they were issued only in dealer packs. They do vary in print runs from 44-55. one of those could be that...

I did think that was it at first, but after doing some looking I found the reward cards to have the black numbering on the back and the blue foil on the front.

Keep the thought coming guys...I did see a scan of a Dontrelle Willis #'d to 75 that Beckett does not show existing, so maybe there is another layer of parallels?

Most likely explanation is that it's another version of the card that Beckett didn't catch. Conspiracy theory explanation is that it's a "Gold" version that was purchased from the bankruptcy with no serial numbering, then some unscrupulous person later added numbering.
Richard

well, in my quest to find out, I picked up a gold one #'d to 150...not sure why they called it gold, the foil on the front and the the back are both silver.

So, that leaves three possibilities, I think...

1.) A non-patch, patch..the serial #'s and foil coloring match up here...

2.) A level of paralell that Beckett does not recognize...

3.) A bankruptcy card...

Whichever it really is, I will probably never really know.

Scott