MLB Network program on Topps baseball Cards March 29

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otgoal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I don't know if this was discussed, but the MLB network is airing a show on Topps baseball cards Tuesday, March 29.
From Beckett.com:

Cardboard Treasure
Original Airdate: 3/29/2011. A 60-year history of Topps and how it has been the epicenter of the baseball card industry.

Cardboard Treasure, a MLB Productions creation, will air at 10 p.m. Eastern only on the MLB Network.

I did watch and I thought it was pretty good. As I mentioned in the other thread I thought the "busting" of a 1987 wax pack was a little corny. Other than that I like the story of Topps dumping the 1952 cards in the East River and players talking about how it felt when they saw themselves on a card for the first time. Overall I would give it a B+

What did you think?

I liked it, I'd agree with the B+...but at times it seemed they glossed over topics that they could have gone into in more depth. I enjoyed seeing the collections in museums.

I really enjoyed the program, I think they fit as much as they could into the program given the hour time slot. It was cool seeing the cards in the museum that were pasted into the frames, I read about the guy that had that massive collection in the book "Mint Condition" (the author of which was interviewed for this program), it was nice to see the cards first hand.

Also, the part about how they make and produce the cards before shipping them out was very interesting, a lot I didn't know there. Getting to see the negative Topps used for the '68 Nolan Ryan RC was also cool to see.

I really liked it. I liked when they talked about the famous 52 Topps Pafko card and how kids would rubber band the sets and the first card would get wrecked. I did not realize that is why that card is worth more than 52 Topps Willie Mays. And the NM-MT 52 Topps Mantle and Honus Wagner were amazing to see as well as the cards at the art museum. Great show.

No other reason for Pafko to top any star in value, unless it was a high number/SP and even then it would be pushing it. As a Dodger collector, that set irritates me because of all the hi number Dodger commons you can rarely find in decent shape for under $100 each!

That Pafko card was featured in a Bruce Willis movie I saw a while back. He was a cop and was going to sell the card to help pay for his daughter's wedding, but it was stolen while he was trying to sell it to a shop. The fate of the card in the movie was priceless!

I really liked it. I liked when they talked about the famous 52 Topps Pafko card and how kids would rubber band the sets and the first card would get wrecked. I did not realize that is why that card is worth more than 52 Topps Willie Mays. And the NM-MT 52 Topps Mantle and Honus Wagner were amazing to see as well as the cards at the art museum. Great show.