Modern set builders out there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yawnbosc

Prospect
Hi all, new collector assembling my first set, I am putting together the 2023 Topps Heritage base to commemorate the birth of my daughter this year. Not going for anything fancy, just going for the base set and keeping goals modest (right now thinking I will try for the short prints but…that’s actually the bulk of my question…read on). Trying to make a dent, and still learning strategies—so far I’ve done a hobby box, a retail hanger, and a blaster- that was basically all duplicates of base I had in the hobby box…sigh. Any way, what are you veteran set collectors typical strategies for assembling modern/new sets? It seems like some folks go straight for a case of hobby boxes, which is a lot more than I can afford at this stage, but finding myself wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for how many hobby boxes or hangers or the like are usually needed to get close to a full set, or what your experiences are collecting modern stuff? Just want to make sure I’m not starting off with a bad approach based on my goals.

I figure at some point I’ll try to get some trading going on here but I still have over half the base to go so likely need more less common stuff to make it worthwhile for other traders, since most of my duplicates are standard base and I’m new to collecting so don’t have other sets or cards to offer right now. Is that just how it goes? At what point in a set build do you go for trades vs hunting via ripping packs, etc? I’m realizing in pursuit of a full set you must wind up with a significant amount of duplicate base…

Alright thanks for listening and if you have any tips or insights from your experience collecting modern sets, would love to hear them. Just generally curious what I’ve gotten myself into here…haha

John

Hi all, new collector assembling my first set, I am putting together the 2023 Topps Heritage base to commemorate the birth of my daughter this year. Not going for anything fancy, just going for the base set and keeping goals modest (right now thinking I will try for the short prints but…that’s actually the bulk of my question…read on). Trying to make a dent, and still learning strategies—so far I’ve done a hobby box, a retail hanger, and a blaster- that was basically all duplicates of base I had in the hobby box…sigh. Any way, what are you veteran set collectors typical strategies for assembling modern/new sets? It seems like some folks go straight for a case of hobby boxes, which is a lot more than I can afford at this stage, but finding myself wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for how many hobby boxes or hangers or the like are usually needed to get close to a full set, or what your experiences are collecting modern stuff? Just want to make sure I’m not starting off with a bad approach based on my goals.

I figure at some point I’ll try to get some trading going on here but I still have over half the base to go so likely need more less common stuff to make it worthwhile for other traders, since most of my duplicates are standard base and I’m new to collecting so don’t have other sets or cards to offer right now. Is that just how it goes? At what point in a set build do you go for trades vs hunting via ripping packs, etc? I’m realizing in pursuit of a full set you must wind up with a significant amount of duplicate base…

Alright thanks for listening and if you have any tips or insights from your experience collecting modern sets, would love to hear them. Just generally curious what I’ve gotten myself into here…haha

John
When building sets, you want to gather as much as you can in bulk. Ripping is fun, but as you stated there are many duplicates. Traders on this site may have some but when that runs dry go to :

sportlots.com

That place is really great for set builders and many if not most of the commons are .20c

The first thing I do after acquiring some bulk cards for a set is to make a list of what you still need. Also make a list of your duplicates. These list are what you post when posting a trade thread. I am finished with the 2023 Heritage, but have some duplicate commons that I am giving away if you pay the shipping. Check my signature below for a link to those cards.

Last edited:
I use COMC to finish off my sets or insert sets after the trades dry up on the Bench........Only one cost for shipping......so you can purchase cards from 20 different sellers....but only one cost for shipping. Plus you can choice the economy (two to three weeks) or fast method were u get in about 10 days or superfast shipping where u get it with a few days (but its expense). Sportslot is okay...but again...only if you buy from only one seller and thats hard to do! Best regards, David PS COMC stands for......Check Out My Cards. There based in Seattle Washington.

Last edited: