Need opinions on 1980 Topps Baseball Cello packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sberry

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have a chance to buy 26 1980 Topps Baseball 3 card cello packs that were part of a promotional deal by Mrs. Butterworths Syrup for $25 so thats 78 total cards, all the packs are in mint and have the Mrs. Butterworth promotional card on back. The lady has had them for over 30 years she used to work for the company my question is should I jump on them? I mean that chance for a mint Rickey Henderson Rc! or do I buy them and sell them as individual packs on ebay? Just wanting some opinions......

Well, if they were all commons, your total value is just under $20, but the ad card...well, people who like oddballs go for that (I should know, I am one). I would do it on the chance of pulling the Henderson, Ozzie Smith, or Ryan cards (the three highest valued by Beckett). I am sure you could recoup your investment on eBay, either by unopened pack or by singles.

If you decide to pop on these, don't overlook the trade value. I don't know how much they go for on eBay, but I have one pack (Jesse Jefferson on top) and wouldn't mind trading for some more. Not something I would go out and buy, but would trade about $3 bv for each pack.

Hunt's (bread, not tomato) put out a very similar item that year--Hunts card and three Topps cards per pack. The Hunt packs are not tightly packed as the Butterworth's and the cello becomes brittle and can rip easily. I have three of these. I haven't opened any because the chance of pulling a Rickey are extremely thin. But then again, so is the chance of pulling a Lee Mazzilli, but if I'd get one of the two, I'd lay odds it would be Maz.

---Frank

If you decide to pop on these, don't overlook the trade value. I don't know how much they go for on eBay, but I have one pack (Jesse Jefferson on top) and wouldn't mind trading for some more. Not something I would go out and buy, but would trade about $3 bv for each pack.

Hunt's (bread, not tomato) put out a very similar item that year--Hunts card and three Topps cards per pack. The Hunt packs are not tightly packed as the Butterworth's and the cello becomes brittle and can rip easily. I have three of these. I haven't opened any because the chance of pulling a Rickey are extremely thin. But then again, so is the chance of pulling a Lee Mazzilli, but if I'd get one of the two, I'd lay odds it would be Maz.

---Frank

The Hunt's Bread cards were O *** Chee cards. I have a case of them sitting at home. Each pack included 3 cards and the Hunt's Bread header card. So the packs were a bit heavy with Expos cards.

Jeff

Yeah these are all Topps but I figured that's about $.96 a pack so really can't go to wrong in my opinion! But think I'm going to get them if anything its fun!

I bought them and will let you guys know what I pull, Jaybo374 is right just open them.......

Here is a scan of them, looking forward to opening them...

RL005656_1L.jpg

Do you have a wantlist?

If you are interested in trading, I'll take any Red Sox cards (I see Dick Drago and I think Jerry Remy) as well as the Gorman Thomas I see.

Do you have a wantlist?

If you are interested in trading, I'll take any Red Sox cards (I see Dick Drago and I think Jerry Remy) as well as the Gorman Thomas I see.

I mainly collect football Ryan Mallett, Jake Plummer and any good trade bait....

Hey,

Looks like fun..

I am looking for a nice 1980 Topps Nolan Ryan for my set.

Lmk if you pull one.

Good luck.