need some advice please....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I built this display thing (proto type for one made out of oak) and what I have been doing was putting the cards in top loaders and double stick taping them to the display so they don't fall down. Well now is time to clean it up. I need to buy some top loaders and I will use small Velcro straps to hold them onto the display.
My question is where do you all buy your supplies and what thickness or type of loader will I need for some really thick cards? Though not the super thick. I have some top loaders that are so thick the GU cards are flopping around. Just the basic top loader for a GU or patch thick card. My store no longer carries cards or supplies :-(
Thanks for any info.
Brad
mycarddissplay.jpg

Ok, first of all, I want to say that your display looks awesome.
Well done.
Umm...I do not know where to get thick top loaders (besides amazon or ebay), but I know that my Target sells regular top loaders, so if you have a Target near you, you may want to check it out.

thanks for the replay and props to my display. I cut a grove in each slot for the cards to sit in but that didnt hold then in good enough. oh well.. LOL
I did check Target and saw they sell the reg. ones but i need the thicker ones...

My hobby store sells the extra thick top loaders....the largest is 180 points. I normally use these for my trades...you can get about 5 to 8 cards depending on how thick the base cards are. Best regards, David

I'd be careful with displaying autographs... I've heard they fade over time just like baseballs. I am unsure about that though.

You can buy supplies at many online outlets such as Dave & Adams, Ebay, etc.

If you have questions about specific cards going into specific top loader sizes post it up and I'm sure we can answer that for you:)

Nice display, shows off the cards quite well.

thanks for the replay and props to my display. I cut a grove in each slot for the cards to sit in but that didnt hold then in good enough. oh well.. LOL
I did check Target and saw they sell the reg. ones but i need the thicker ones...

Not sure what you mean by "cut a grove in each slot for the cards to sit in" but if you make a cut in each shelf, all the way along the length of the shelf, for the top load to "sit in" you won't have to worry about them sliding off or the "flopping around" issue. It's what they do for displaying plates. A liitle groove for the plate to rest in/against.

thanks for the info guys.
yea i cut a grove all the way along on the inside of the rail for the card to sit in but it wasnt deep enough i guess beacuse the cards fall forward.

I'd be careful with displaying autographs... I've heard they fade over time just like baseballs. I am unsure about that though.

Well I have had this display up for about 4 years now and I dont see any fadeing going on. Each card is in a pennie sleeve and then a top loader. and i keep them on a wall that gets no sunlight at all.

Nice display.
I think the suggestion about cutting the groove contemplates either a deeper groove or that the card "lean" backwards, thereby preventing it from falling.
As for toploaders, there have been some threads on this site by members seeking toploaders If you start a thread indicating that you are looking specifically for thicker toploaders for GU, Relics, autos, you might find members who would be willing to trade or sell any extras they may have,
Good luck.

Frank

thanks guys..
Jay. I believe i ripped a 1 by 6 down to make them 1 by 1's I cut a grove in the pack to resess the playwood back in. Though i feel making them 1 by 1's was to small and made it harder to cut a nice groove on the inside for the cards.

Something else you might try..........

I built a display like that years ago and instead of cuting a groove I painted the shelves with a textured paint. Might not be right but "Fleck Stone" is in my head as the name of the paint. It has little grains of something in it which make it near impossible for the cards to slip off.

The other thing I did was put rubber stops (3/4"? maybe) on the two lower corners so when hung from the top the display is naturally tilted back slightly.

I'm going to try it with some 1x2 oak boards and see how it looks. Also I am going to cut a shallow groove with the table saw blade tilted back about 5 degrees. I'll post my results when I can.

thanks guys..
Jay. I believe i ripped a 1 by 6 down to make them 1 by 1's I cut a grove in the pack to resess the playwood back in. Though i feel making them 1 by 1's was to small and made it harder to cut a nice groove on the inside for the cards.

I'm going to try it with some 1x2 oak boards and see how it looks. Also I am going to cut a shallow groove with the table saw blade tilted back about 5 degrees. I'll post my results when I can.

yea. i wll be making one out of oak soon. I may use felt (dark color) on the back of it though...