New Member here. I have a question about the culture here at The Bench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Well so far I've only completed 3 trades and given some cards away for free, and one of the trades went bad(for me not for him). It's partly my fault though. I won't divulge any names because we both received our cards in good condition, etc. but a particular HOF member here grossly misrepresented a card's value(no BV to go by) and I trusted what he told me. I explained that I was new to the hobby and unfamiliar with the card and he assured me that it was a fair deal value-wise. I now find that a very similar card sold for about 1/8 of what the card I sent out sells for. The card I gave up was the highest value card that I had, but I was trading for Braves, which is my team. Again, partly my fault but I feel quite let down that my good faith was returned with opportunism, and by a long time member at that.

Oh well, lesson learned I guess....

Maybe you should look into getting the Beckett online price guide to research the values of cards you need/have..........................I don't think using eBay as a research tool is very reliant......................Sorry to hear about your lousy trade this early on......................

Well so far I've only completed 3 trades and given some cards away for free, and one of the trades went bad(for me not for him). It's partly my fault though. I won't divulge any names because we both received our cards in good condition, etc. but a particular HOF member here grossly misrepresented a card's value(no BV to go by) and I trusted what he told me. I explained that I was new to the hobby and unfamiliar with the card and he assured me that it was a fair deal value-wise. I now find that a very similar card sold for about 1/8 of what the card I sent out sells for. The card I gave up was the highest value card that I had, but I was trading for Braves, which is my team. Again, partly my fault but I feel quite let down that my good faith was returned with opportunism, and by a long time member at that.

Oh well, lesson learned I guess....

SV's are really hard to judge, many cards swing wildly in the final price on ebay. If you haven't tried a PM to the HOF member to see if there is anything that can be done to even things out, I would try it. I've found most folks here more than accommodating Stick with it, it is indeed a great site.

Maybe you should look into getting the Beckett online price guide to research the values of cards you need/have..........................I don't think using eBay as a research tool is very reliant......................Sorry to hear about your lousy trade this early on......................

I definitely need a price guide, be it online or in hand.. that's for sure.

SV's are really hard to judge, many cards swing wildly in the final price on ebay. If you haven't tried a PM to the HOF member to see if there is anything that can be done to even things out, I would try it. I've found most folks here more than accommodating Stick with it, it is indeed a great site.

I understand there is some fluctuation in selling prices, and I'm sure I have room to understand more, but this one is highly disappointing. It's cool though. I can live and learn, just wanted to give my feedback in general as it relates to the culture of this site, be it uncommon or not. And I sent a PM showing the sale of the similar card with no response. I don't expect any compensation, as I agreed to the trade and went through with it. I just think that he probably had some idea that it wasn't as even as a trade as he made out. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me otherwise. I should have listened to my gut to begin with. Again... my mistake and my lesson to learn. I'll eat it and move on.

I can tell you that I have traded with about half of the people who have answered this thread and I can say unequivically these guys are fantastic.
I think part of it is the summer doldrums and it is slow. I know that there are people who go after every thread and they try to lowball everyone, so do not take it personally my friend. After a while "No Thanks " works out to be a good deterent or I did not see anything I could use.... I wish you all the luck but give it time it will work itself out. Try looking at the people who answered this threads list's. You will find some great people here !
All the best
Bill