OMG - Why Did I Trade A Ripken Rookie For A Gooden Rookie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mintman2

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I recently looked at my trade history and was amazed at how many of them I thought "wow, I really got over on the other person" OR "wow, they really got over on me".

We all know "the market changes" but it really brought it home. At the time they were all trades and both parties were good with it but looking at them in terms of today's market some of them are ridiculous.

Just curious if you've ever done the same kind of looking back and what you thought of it.

Last edited:
Yep, made a crazy trade with Randy, fatboycards, for some cheesy inserts and he got some sweet early '60 vintage.................Don't know if I'd make a trade like that again...................Ripken v. Gooden doesn't sound too good today, but you've been around awhile, my friend, almost 10 years................

On here I haven't had too many go either way, but I'm a small time trader and I don't trade high end vintage. If a rookie gets hot, I tend to sell and get the profit while it's there, rookie trading/speculating is too rough on my blood pressure. I try not to look back too much. Most of my trades here are pretty even still, Heritage SP's, Tradition SP's, gold parallels, refractors, of stars and commons, stuff that doesn't tend to skyrocket or fall off a cliff. I sold a Don Mattingly Topps finest auto for $23 dlvd, may have been a bit light, but it worked for me at the time, and if someone else enjoyed the autograph more than I did, I'm happy with it. I think that was the most one sided transaction I could find in my trade log

Yep, made a crazy trade with Randy, fatboycards, for some cheesy inserts and he got some sweet early '60 vintage.................Don't know if I'd make a trade like that again...................Ripken v. Gooden doesn't sound too good today, but you've been around awhile, my friend, almost 10 years................

Yeah, I think everyone has to make a couple bad trades/buys in order to learn. Fortunately the Ripken/Gooden was just an example and not somethig I actually did.

One trade I will always regret NOT making is when my buddy offered me a 1971 Topps for my '92-'93 Skybox Draft Picks Alonzo Mourning insert.

One great trade I made was swapping my 1991 Stadium Club Frank Thomas for a 1982 Donruss Cal Ripken, Jr. At the time they booked the same. The Thomas now books for $1.25!

I traded a 2006 Topps Chrome Ryan Garko Auto Red Refractor (#'d to 25) for a Mike Schmidt Auto (#'d to 15) with BV of $80. I looked back over that one and was thankful that Garko didn't turn into Jeter.

But, I did trade away a 2006 Justin Verlander Xfractor for some Kendry Morales card - oops...

When I was 15 I made a trade with a friend. At the time the 71 Topps Pete Rose was $40.00. And those 40 93 Topps Gold cards were $40.00. I think I got the better end of it when Rose jumped to $100.00. Unfortunately in 2002 my wife was mad at me for spending so much time with my cards and tossed them all in the garbage. I think next time, I might toss her in the garbage instead.

When I was 15 I made a trade with a friend. At the time the 71 Topps Pete Rose was $40.00. And those 40 93 Topps Gold cards were $40.00. I think I got the better end of it when Rose jumped to $100.00. Unfortunately in 2002 my wife was mad at me for spending so much time with my cards and tossed them all in the garbage. I think next time, I might toss her in the garbage instead.

That made me chuckle so hard I almost peed myself. thanks for the laugh!

Worst trade I made was when I first started trading on line back in April 2001. I had just recently gotten back into trading and did not have any of GU cards. I traded a 62 Topps Clemente in nrmt condition, a vintage Mantle WS HR card (can't remember the year) and several other vintage cards for about $50 worth of "star" GU, some of which I still have in my trade section.

I have had different trades over the years and I feel like I came out ahead because I have the stuff I want and dont have the stuff I didnt want and was willing to trade! Trading is kind of like a garage sale....you get rid of stuff that it just sitting there and get stuff you want (money in the case of a sale, good cards in the case of a trade) that you DO want!! Cheers!

Traded a buch of Mike Vicks, including 2 autos 1 rc, about 5 rcs (3 #ed) a few GUs and a Patch for a Dontrelle Willis auto and GU........it was after the whole dog fighting scandal, but im sure the lot would sell over 100.00 bucks now compared to the 1.00 for the willis'...........o well

Traded a buch of Mike Vicks, including 2 autos 1 rc, about 5 rcs (3 #ed) a few GUs and a Patch for a Dontrelle Willis auto and GU........it was after the whole dog fighting scandal, but im sure the lot would sell over 100.00 bucks now compared to the 1.00 for the willis'...........o well

Willis, big bust

Vick, unbelievable comeback

Ya just never know