PastPros.com <--- Former MLB player site founded by Ellis Valentine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glad to hear you're getting positive feedback from the players. Regarding the shipping adjustment, perhaps you could offer both? If the collectors go the SASE-route, you could put a disclaimer stating they are responsible?
Scott

Glad to hear you're getting positive feedback from the players. Regarding the shipping adjustment, perhaps you could offer both? If the collectors go the SASE-route, you could put a disclaimer stating they are responsible?
Scott

Yes, I really wanted to do that but I am constrained by the e-commerce plugin we are using. We have a new site in the works though. I will be able to offer the option when that is operational.

I've put a disclaimer - we'll see how it goes.

Scott

Ha ha... I actually just figured out how I can do it with current system. Adding the option now.

Bummed to hear that Dick Allen's site won't take customer sent items. I'd pay $25 to get a 71T card signed, but wouldn't pay that for one of those Diamond Greats cards. Of course, my guess is that if i could send in my card, it would then cost me more than $25. I paid $35 through MAB to get the 65T signed, but that was only because I couldn't find any signed on ebay.

Collin,

I have a couple that would be nice to get. The first one is John Castino. 1979 AL Co-Rookie of the Year, I have one of his signatures but was bought at a show in the 80's before all the COA's and stuff so not sure that it is real...I think Chuck Knoblauch would be a good one to add.

I wished Dick Allen accepted submissions, as well. Would love to get a '64 Phillies team photo signed by him.

Benny got a little crazy with the blue sharpie there! Cool idea, though I fear this might drive prices up? Good idea for set collectors who dont mind paying to finish a set, that has got to be a good feeling!

Anybody previously signing for free who begins to sell their signature will affect prices eventually. You can still find most of those guys on ebay for a few bucks or less very easily, but you get what gets listed. If you need a specific item and have no chance to meet the person and they no longer sign TTM for free, then you have little choice.

I had to laugh at $120 for a signed Allen baseball, but then I am more of a bargain hunter collector anyway. I paid $35 for him to sign a specific card (65 Topps) a couple years ago because I got tired of waiting for the right card to show up on ebay, but it was too much for me to get the 2nd card that I wanted signed. Allen actually has several cards I would like to have signed, but not at $25-35 or more a pop.

What happens if Bobby Doerr starts charging???

Jeter only needs $400 a pop to supplement his multimillions!!

I know that it's time and time is money, but it's like printing cash by signing your name for a whopping 2-3 seconds and I just wish that more players would bring the price down to an overall affordable level for those who collect many signatures.

I feel for most of the guys listed on the site (PastPros) that a $5 rate is reasonable. I think for most of them, once you go above that, it is pricing them out of the range of what most collectors are willing to pay.

I was thinking that yesterday, as I was sorting in all of the recent autographed cards I have picked up on ebay in the last couple of months. I frequently get semi-stars and stars, deceased players and even an occasional HOFer for under $5. No knock on guys like Billy Sample or Benny Ayala, but I wouldn't even pay $5 for those guys unless they had a specific item I really needed. i have both players already and probably paid $1 for each. The supply of $1-2 signed cards on ebay is pretty strong, although if you get a few people interested, they can push up past $5 at times. The market for those doing team projects and sets who are willing to pay more eventually dries up and then you have general collectors who pass on cards priced at $2-3 all the time.

I guess it all comes down to what a former player thinks his time is worth and to get $5 for every time you sign your name is a pretty good deal and it allows more fans to opportunity to obtain a signature.

Thanks again guys for the valuable input.

All of the guys set their own prices, and it's not something I will debate with them too much. I have advised but ultimately, it's their decision. None of these guys are millionaires, nor will they ever will be so I don't think any of them are being greedy. They feel their signature has a certain value and they want to preserve that. In some cases, too, they are raising money for a charitable cause - something they've chosen not to highlight.

The way I see it, in the long run, the market will dictate what the price should be (i.e. if some guy doesn't sell anything for 12 months, then he will be forced to reconsider the price he is offering).

When I started this project, I thought there would be value in obtaining an autograph directly from the former player rather than a dealer on eBay (as it's not guaranteed that what you get on eBay is authentic). From what you guys are saying (for the guys that we have on PastPros at least), this isn't a big selling feature. Is that right?

I am not sure that getting a signature directly from a player adds much, especially if it is not different than getting one through a dealer, because there is nothing to that "experience" for the buyer. How do I know that Ellis doesn't have a handler who does everything and he just sits down and signs a stack of cards. No different than a TTM signing through a dealer like MAB for example. In the end, most of us just want the signed item. If we can't meet the player in person and pose for a photo or ask a question, then that is really all you are getting is a signature on an item. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see players selling directly and cutting out the middle man any day. I think they deserve the money for the signature, as they have earned it. I would guess most either don't know what to do (before websites became fairly easy) or need help reaching a larger audience if they are not household names.

I think this is a great idea, but I have been collecting autographs for many years and I try to make my money stretch as far as I can because I am not a millionaire either! I love multiple items signed and will even get doubles of really cool cards and such. If I were to pay $8-15 per shot, my collection would be a fraction of what it is. I have a Claude Osteen Topps career run signed for example, 1959-1976 (minus 1961 - no card, but a couple specials as well 72 IA, 74 Traded). I probably paid no more than $2-4 for any one card and got most for a buck. Paying a $10 fee per signature, which most would consider not too unreasonable would have cost me almost $200! I would have stopped at 1-2 cards probably.

Hi, we are re-jigging things a bit so it's easier and cheaper to maintain. I should have it all done by the weekend. Sorry for the downtime! The changes will also let us bring guys in at a faster rate (There's a bit of a backlog).

If you are waiting on an order, let me know at [email protected].

When I started this project, I thought there would be value in obtaining an autograph directly from the former player rather than a dealer on eBay (as it's not guaranteed that what you get on eBay is authentic). From what you guys are saying (for the guys that we have on PastPros at least), this isn't a big selling feature. Is that right?

For me - the only autographs that I get are TTM or in-person. I do like writing the player and getting the autograph direct. It is nice to know that the player signed the card for me.