Postage Jan 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerseyGirl2

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm having a problem with not receiving trades, and I believe it's due to insufficent postage. You need to use a "Non-Machinable" stamp on "ridged" envelopes (either the butterfly stamps or a regular stamp plus a 44 cent surcharge. If it weighs over an ounce it needs an additional ounce stamp too (24 cents). If the envelope is thicker than 1/4 of a inch, you have to send it at the "parcel" rate. These rates are only good until July, when the Post Office may (or may not) change them. This happens every January and July now. Thanks and happy trading!

Form my postmaster, I gathered that a stiff envelope can be sent as regualr first class envelope as long as it's not oversized. He said the non-machinable stamp is to be used when the envelope is not ridgid. For example, I send pwe mailings with a non-machineable stamp because I'm sending a single top loader in a number 10 envelope. That leaves a disparity in the firmness of the envelope because more than half the envelope is floppy. So it can't go through a machine.

But I have had some pwe's returned anyway as non-deliverable, because the address is bad. Even though I have the right address, I thing they were returned to me because the address was not in all caps. Or my handwriting is just bad. I did have one portage due, becasue they though the pwe was to thick, so they charged the package rate. It could be that my PO and the followign trail of processing centers are just being a pain.

As far as you not getting packages, it might be returned to sender which can add weeks delay and cost the sender double postage. Also some times you just have to wait. I have had one package take 6 months, or a pwe three weeks. And I think most stamps are being sold as forever stamps, so the rate increases shouldn't be a problem. You are also a must send first, which doubles the time it takes to get your cards. I hope this helps. Also, not all PO's do exactly the same thing, so I'm not questioning the method you presented.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm having a problem with not receiving trades, and I believe it's due to insufficent postage. You need to use a "Non-Machinable" stamp on "ridged" envelopes (either the butterfly stamps or a regular stamp plus a 44 cent surcharge. If it weighs over an ounce it needs an additional ounce stamp too (24 cents). If the envelope is thicker than 1/4 of a inch, you have to send it at the "parcel" rate. These rates are only good until July, when the Post Office may (or may not) change them. This happens every January and July now. Thanks and happy trading!
If it comes postage due, they don't return it. They put a note in your box, and you have to go to the post office to pay the postage and then they will give you the envelope/package. If you aren't getting them at all you have a totally different problem.

Hi! Insufficient postage mail are discovered two ways.......One its caught at the senders postal office and its returned to him or her. Second its caught at the receivers post office....Your mail person will leave a note that you need to come to your local post office and pay the postage due. Not getting your part of the trade..could mean that someone maybe stealing your mail. Hope this helps. Best regards, David

Thank you Dan and David - that was very helpful. I have a lock on my mailbox, so unless it's my mailman, who I know, I don't think it's being stolen. I didn't know both the sender and receivers post office could flag it. Good to know.