Some people...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiggioDiogu759

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Manitowoc, Wisconsin-Home of The Roncalli Jets
I sold a card on Ebay, and with 99% of my trades/sales, I throw in a freebie...Most of the time its a low end ReFractor/#ed card, but still a freebie none the less.

Fast forward to today, and I got a message saying that he didnt like the free card I throw in, and gave me a neutral feedback

Did I do something wrong here?? I am missing something

I never got the memo I had to throw in a Derek Jeter Auto to make someone happy

You're better off not throwing in freebies. People aren't dealing for them and many don't want them. I recently bought an auto for less than the going rate, possibly because the seller included some base in the auction as well.

In the long run free base cards are uneccesary. I would never leave someone a neutral because they threw them in there, But I dont want them regardless, I just got rid of 35,000 commons and was extremely happy to have the room, when i get free base cards from a sale or trade they go right into the trash.

But still can't believe some left you a neutral because of it, Pretty low class.

In the long run free base cards are uneccesary. I would never leave someone a neutral because they threw them in there, But I dont want them regardless, I just got rid of 35,000 commons and was extremely happy to have the room, when i get free base cards from a sale or trade they go right into the trash.

But still can't believe some left you a neutral because of it, Pretty low class.

Bonfire? Just curious, I've been indecisive on what to do with mine.

Bonfire? Just curious, I've been indecisive on what to do with mine.

You know those Value boxes at wal mart and target, Usually clear plastic boxes with 300 or so cards in them, and then they guarentee you some hit in there.

My buddy who runs one of our LCS knows the guy who distributes those to Target in the Midwest. So he buys commons from my LCS owner at like 10-15 bucks/5000 cards. I just took all my commons pre 2005 to my LCS owner and traded him 35K commons for a couple random Jersey cards, That way he makes money (eventually as the guy who buys his commons wants to buy 100K + at a time) and I clear space and get a couple cards to trade.

-Nick

Edit: Id guesstemate that 15-20K of the 35K i Dropped off were 1987-1991 Topps

Last edited:
"You should just give all your freebees to me" :p
all kidding aside, my first response was "wow"
I always remember the traders that send along extra cards, and I always try to do business with them again.

When I need to clear out space of excess commons, I package them up in stacks of 50 and put them in team bag and then hand them out at holloween anlong with the candy. Just an idea, but it's still a long way to trick or treating.

Billy

"You should just give all your freebees to me" :p
all kidding aside, my first response was "wow"
I always remember the traders that send along extra cards, and I always try to do business with them again.

+1. I always enjoy free cards.

On a different note, it pains me to hearing that people just throw cards away. Do something with them, anything is more productive then throwing them away.

On a different note, it pains me to hearing that people just throw cards away. Do something with them, anything is more productive then throwing them away.

Absolutely agree.
I always give my doubles, or unwanted cards to my nephew. My niece has even been asking for some recently.
The only time I throw them away is when the dog had gotten to them :( Sad day indeed.

When I need to clear out space of excess commons, I package them up in stacks of 50 and put them in team bag and then hand them out at holloween anlong with the candy. Just an idea, but it's still a long way to trick or treating.

Billy

That is a great idea! I'll have to get some team bags this year. My wife will be extremely happy for this idea!

This is almost as bad when I saw someone give someone a negative because "what he bought wasn't worth what he paid for".

I would ask if they would like a random freebie card and if they say yes go ahead and send it. If they don't, don't send it.

The netural feedback was not right...Just because he got free cards that He did not want? He or she should have lefted positive feedback and moved on....Best regards, David

I've been in the throw them away camp lately. At least with the "years of plenty" cards. They aren't going to get more valuable or scarce unless people DO start getting rid of them permanently. It's kind of like the old CRT tv's and computer monitors, it's great in theory to give them to someone, but in reality you're just passing your headache off to someone else. The newer stuff is all well and good to pass along, but stuff from the late 80's early 90's you can buy cheaper now than you could when it was new. I can buy a wax case of 1989 Topps for $131.30 delivered, my June 1989 Baseball Cards Magazine has an ad from Collectors Universe for $233+ UPS freight. The younger kids aren't going to know the players, and the older kids are going to see plain old boring base cards that you can get 20 boxes of for less than the price of 2 boxes of current Topps. I've got 7 monster boxes of 1988-91 Topps my youonger cousins gave me when they moved away from home. They have no interest in the cards and they knew I still collected. I've got 4 copy paper boxes full of 1988 Topps from when a friends card shop went out of business in the mid 90's. I watch month after month as these boxes don't get a $3 opening bid at the auctions.

As for Biggio, it's a nice gesture, but there's always someone that doesn't get it. Last month we had a customer threaten to call the BBB because we replaced their burned out headlamp bulb for free.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online