starting selling on ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quambomb

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I am seriously thinking about starting selling on ebay, but am hesitant because of the questions below. Any help, thoughts, advice is appreciated.

-It seems like new sellers on ebay have a hard time starting out and the items they sell do not command much interest or normal prices. Is this true?

-What sort of stuff should I start sellign right away? Should I be selling low/mid-end inserts or game-used, player lots, or high end cards?

Nowdays, the buyer is fairly well protected against rip offs, so a new seller is really a non-issue, however there are probably still a number of vets who shy away from newbie sellers. The demand is driven by the items for the most part. If you are selling the same thing 1000 other guys have, then you will probably get less interest than the seller with 1000 feedback selling the same thing. Good stuff gets found and purchased for decent money most of the time. Junk sits stagnant or sells for cheap.

As a buyer, I really like items that start at 99 cents. Even if I know the item will top $100, it gives me hope that I may get a bargain and stimulates bidding. I have passed on items at fixed prices and actually bid higher in auction format. It doesn't happen often, but the heat of the battle makes people do strange things. However, you always run the risk of getting less than you wanted. I also hate reserve prices. Reserves usually tell me the seller wants more than the item would sell for anyway, so I rarely even bother to bid when I see a reserve set.

I'd suggest starting slow, establishing a reputation with buyers. Offer fair shipping rates and be clear about your combined discounts. Some would stay to shy away from buyers outside the US. That is a personal call. Often there is extra hassle, but the more of an audience you exclude, the harder you need to work to sell. I'd plan on using insurance on anything you don't want to lose. It's probably worth the price for the added protection. As I said earlier, the buyers are well protected these days, but this has exposed honest sellers to more risk. Paypal often sides with the buyer, so that is why I suggest tracking and insurance. Even then, you run the risk of someone paying, receiving their item and then falsely filing a claim.

Ship in a timely manner. If you are the guy who can only go to the PO every other Friday, expect poor ratings for shipping. Go the extra mile to protect and package items properly. Holders, taping or sealing items in bags, using cardboard backers, etc is all very much appreciated by buyers who fully expect the item to arrive as advertised and don't care if you try to blame the PO for mishandling. In the end, the seller will still lose that battle!

If you can follow those guidelines, you should have a successful experience selling.

I don't sell, but I buy a lot, so my perspective is that of a buyer.

Start with lower end stuff, build your feedback for a bit. People don't mind new sellers for normal, everyday things, but if you're going to drop a few hundred on a card, they'll normally be a bit more confident (and bid a little higher) buying from someone who has been selling for a while and has a history of satisfied customers. With Paypal/major credit card buyer protection, it's not as big of an issue as it was years ago, but some doubts do tend to linger. My second ever sale was a $1600 card. I had 50+ feedback as a buyer and a 100% rating and everything went great. Low or no feedback on high dollar items can raise a red flag even if it is unwarranted.

Kind of like walking into a card show and seeing a new dealer with half a dozen monster boxes filled with 1988-1992 Topps, Donruss, Score, Fleer base, all looking like they've been handled a bit, fuzzy corners, a crease here or there, and right next to it is what looks to be a perfectly Mint 1952 Topps Mantle in a 1/4" lucite holder, and next to THAT is a bunch of well read late 90's Marvel comic books. That Mantle looks a bit suspicious all of a sudden.

Hi...I started selling on ebay in January after my two main buyers left me...my Twinkie collector past away and my Frank Thomas, Ichiro, etc collector totaled his car and has had to stop collecting until he can get caught up.
I start all my auctions at either $0.49 or $0.99 as I can list the first 100 auctions each month without any insertion fee and also when ebay offers a deal in the middle of the month...sometime a free extra picture or free buy it now.
I now start my shipping at $2.50 for the first card, $2.75 for 2 cards and $3.00 for the next 18 or so cards up to priority rate and I let the buyers combine over a seven day period. With the new postal rates...it costs me $1.75 up to 3 ounces with DC...which I can mail about 9 cards in II holders in 4 x 6 padded.
For international I just charge $3.00 for the first and second cards...I mail in a 4x 6 padded envelope and it usually cost under $2.00 for air first class international.
The best place to buy padded envelopes is ebay...after I used up all my old envelopes and bought some at walmart and staples at 8 for about $7; the last time I bought I won 500 envelopes for about $32!
So far, in four and half months, I still have no clue on the minds of the buyers!
Some cards I think should get a lot of action sale for $0.99 (thanks Dirk, thought you were someone) and others will go for more than high Beckett.
You can click on my ebay id and look at my closed auctions to see whats happening with mine.
Hoping to have more stuff up over the next three days at, mrmopar, starting at either $0.49 or $0.99.
Hope this helps...always looking for new customers to avoid selling on ebay...I usually sell at low beckett and $2 shipping...but then I am doing all the work.
Thanks Bob
New three strikes contest up on June 1!!

Good advice. I can relate because I have bought well over 100 items off of ebay. Your advice will help me get started and I'll start selling some inserts and star player cards (probably as lots to attract bidding). Thanks!

you will find out quick that your cards aren't worth what you think they are worth...expect to sell them for 20-30% of book value unless it is really rare.

you will find out quick that your cards aren't worth what you think they are worth...expect to sell them for 20-30% of book value unless it is really rare.

Definitely. I know that beckett value is pretty much BS when selling. I'm fine with getting less value in order to clear out my inventory.