Tracking down the legend of Drungo Hazewood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just doesn't make much sense to me. Drungo seems like he is more than happy to sign autographs. Chris Potter acts like the difference is this "convenience" service that he's providing to him. But what could be more convenient than a request sent right to your home with a SASE that you can sign and return at your leisure? You don't have to clean up the house or clear off a table for Potter to dump all his stuff on or clear your schedule so that you can be home when Potter comes over. I have no problem with athletes that don't want to sign TTM, or that only will do it for money, but this doesn't really seem to be the case here.

DP33 -

You must not know Hazewood's history. He hasn't signed a TTM autograph in YEARS. Try finding his autograph online, ebay, etc.

As for the other stuff, not everyone is sending Potter cards to get signed. People aren't going to put multi-signed pieces they've worked years on for the chance the signer will not return it.

I do not know the history other than what I've read from you and the article. I'm just saying that the article presents it like Hazewood is more than happy to sign. Obviously that does not seem to be the case, but either way, I don't understand why it would be more convenient for him to sign large amounts of who knows what in one sitting as opposed to just answering the few letters he gets day to day.

I think a more accurate description would be "If you are a Baltimore Orioles autograph collector, you know how hard it is to...". There are those obscure players that appeared for just about every team out there and I'm sure there are plenty of autograph seekers who are frustrated by these less than household name players who just disappear. Why? Most of the time it is those collectors who are building a certain card set or who want every (or as many as possible) players from that team. If the players were a little more than a no-name common, maybe you need them for a ALL STAR theme collection or an AWARD collection.

I found it most interesting that Hazewood and so many others either don't understand the demand or want to analyze it further and still keep the supply minimal or nonexistent. Who cares WHY someone wants your autograph? You played MLB baseball and there is a market for that signature, even if you only had a brief career. If it is inconvenient for you to sign through the mail or for free, then certainly charge a fee. A few people have even exploited the demand for foreign born players and think that is great. I wish there were more people out there with the connections and means to "discover" more hidden players and bring those autographs to those who want them. Signers like Feller, Kell, Doerr and the likes had it right though. Make your signature plentiful and price isn't a factor, just the demand. I know as a collector myself, if I had a signature that was in demand, I'd be stockpiling stuff to sign for my family to distribute and/or sell, even after I was gone! But for players to avoid the scene all together is something I question, but just as I said why question why someone would want an autograph, I guess the same could be said for why question why the player doesn't want to sign.

I know those Oriole fans and the Crown set builders will be wanting that one and at $15 for someone who apparently is a near impossibility, this is a good reason to favor a guy like Potter. I still think most of his pricing is too high for the average player he has signing (typically $10-25 or more per signature), but then again I have no idea how he goes about pricing these players and if he controls the fee or if it is more a factor of the player and their required fee. The guy deserves to at least cover his costs and even turn a little profit. I doubt most people would do it without making some sort of a profit, although I would be willing to spend some of my free time getting other peoples items signed and as a benefit get to hang out with ballplayers for a while and getting my own personal items signed for free (assuming Potter can get as much stuff as he wants signed as the promoter and not at his asking prices either) if I had the opportunity.

I am actually contemplating my first purchase from him with this signing. I'd like to see the price drop a bit more, but I might just bite the bullet and send off a 1969 Topps card featuring Bobby Darwin as a Dodger. He is also $15. More than I'd like to pay, but if one came to auction, I'd probably toss out a higher snipe bid just to be safe and end up paying that much anyway. If he could land a few players on my obscure Dodgers want list (under 15 players) and keep the fees within what I feel is reasonable, I'd probably do more business with him.

Curt -
Go to his site and send him an e-mail. He is easy to deal with. I know that people think that the prices are a little on the high side, but what do you think it is worth to handle all of the mail for the signing for 50 different players, make sure that everything is signed how it is supposed to, make sure that all of it goes back to the exact person it came from, set up the signings, answer e-mails, make sure that the items do not get damaged and transport them around the country via car with gas, tolls, lodging, etc.

I've spoken with him a few times for different articles, the process is a lot more than one thinks and I think he deserves to be compensated, as well as the players he visits. He isn't doing this to break even, like any other promoter who puts on a show or does a signing. I will say that he is customer friendly for all of the mail he receives. Suggest a few players to him and if he can track them down, he will.

Well, I need Drungo for my hometown collection since he was born in Mobile, AL, so I sent my Crown card and my $15. I'll be happy to have this one.