What's your oldest autograph...not the card, the autograph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beachbum

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I finally scanned this old game program from 1982 when I went to a random Reds game at Riverfront stadium, I was 9 years old and my grandfather took me down near the dugouts to get some player autographs. Although I am a huge Reds fan, they must not have been around while I was down there, only Red I got was Eddie Milner. :)

Reds_Program_Front.jpg

Reds_Program_Page46.jpg

Reds_Program_Back.jpg

Last edited:
very cool..Ray Burris' son works for the Rangers and is good friends with my sister-in-law. Ray is actually holding a youth pitchers' camp in 2 weeks at the ballpark...small world..

thanks for sharing

very cool..Ray Burris' son works for the Rangers and is good friends with my sister-in-law. Ray is actually holding a youth pitchers' camp in 2 weeks at the ballpark...small world..

thanks for sharing

Very cool indeed....

through all the years and moving, I almost chucked this program but I am sure glad I dragged it along with me through my teens and twenties.

This type of vintage stuff is really neat to see. Woodie Fryman, now deceased, signing the Pepsi ad. And I assume that's Bill Gullickson on the Householder/Pastore page. Ironically, Gullickson would end up with the Reds and having one of his most productive seasons of his career.

This type of vintage stuff is really neat to see. Woodie Fryman, now deceased, signing the Pepsi ad. And I assume that's Bill Gullickson on the Householder/Pastore page. Ironically, Gullickson would end up with the Reds and having one of his most productive seasons of his career.

You're right! The other autos on the front page are Bryn Smith, Bob James, and Eddie Milner....I can't believe I remember this but the pen went out as Milner was signing it. He did try to finish his signature but it didn't turn out too well.

That's some good stuff! The best thing about a program like that is how that takes you back in time, when you were 9 and your grandfather was getting that program for you. When you look at those pages you can almost smell the stadium food again, hear the vendors shouting "Hot Dogs!" "Cold Beer!", and you can see the smile on your grandfather's face when he saw the joy of getting your first 'graph on that program.

That's some good stuff! The best thing about a program like that is how that takes you back in time, when you were 9 and your grandfather was getting that program for you. When you look at those pages you can almost smell the stadium food again, hear the vendors shouting "Hot Dogs!" "Cold Beer!", and you can see the smile on your grandfather's face when he saw the joy of getting your first 'graph on that program.

No doubt about it, the memories are priceless. I think the best part about it was that I can remember how excited I was to be face to face with these athletes, albeit probably not the best ones on the teams. I didn't know to try to chase down Johnny Bench or Tim Raines, these autos were just fine by me as a 9 year old...it wasn't until my teens until I started recognizing who the stars were.

Brian, I have to tell you thanks for sharing this, my first baseball game ever was with my Grandparents, both deceased now, in 1988. Cubs-Astros, and Jamie Moyer (my all time favorite player) pitched a complete game! I kept the ticket stub all these years, and did a custom card with it, and sent it to Jamie, who very kindly signed for me. I told him in my letter the story of the game and how special my Grandparents are to me, and I am thankful to you for sharing your story and raising up such pleasant memories for me!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Brian, I have to tell you thanks for sharing this, my first baseball game ever was with my Grandparents, both deceased now, in 1988. Cubs-Astros, and Jamie Moyer (my all time favorite player) pitched a complete game! I kept the ticket stub all these years, and did a custom card with it, and sent it to Jamie, who very kindly signed for me. I told him in my letter the story of the game and how special my Grandparents are to me, and I am thankful to you for sharing your story and raising up such pleasant memories for me!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

You've got quite an inspiring story yourself there, thanks for sharing Kevin.

You are welcome my friend.....one more story: we took our daughter and my wife's parents to a Cardinals-Cubs game this past summer in STL to celebrate Fathers Day, and it was so fun to watch our daughter's reactions to everything, she clapped for the first time there, and smiled and laughed a lot! It was a cool thought that for generations now, families have enjoyed baseball games together, and while there have been ups and downs in the game and all that surrounds it, there is still nothing like going to a game!

You are welcome my friend.....one more story: we took our daughter and my wife's parents to a Cardinals-Cubs game this past summer in STL to celebrate Fathers Day, and it was so fun to watch our daughter's reactions to everything, she clapped for the first time there, and smiled and laughed a lot! It was a cool thought that for generations now, families have enjoyed baseball games together, and while there have been ups and downs in the game and all that surrounds it, there is still nothing like going to a game!

Well you know I've been going to Pensacola Blue Wahoo games, thus the Schofields...anyway, my 5 year old daughter begged me everytime I went to take her along because she wanted to see a baseball game. I finally took her to a game in August and all she did was find a couple other 4-5 year old girls and run around the outfield grassy area for general admission. She didn't care much for baseball by the middle of the first inning but we both had fun. :)

That is hilarious, sounds about right!! Our son is due in May, and I imagine he may enjoy the games more than my daughter does, but we are going to start going to our local minor league team as sort of a father-daughter (and soon to be son!) tradition over the summer, its a fun environment! Even if the game doesnt captivate their attention for too long, the memories of fun times spent with Dad last a lifetime!

That is hilarious, sounds about right!! Our son is due in May, and I imagine he may enjoy the games more than my daughter does, but we are going to start going to our local minor league team as sort of a father-daughter (and soon to be son!) tradition over the summer, its a fun environment! Even if the game doesnt captivate their attention for too long, the memories of fun times spent with Dad last a lifetime!

You're on the right track my friend, I can tell you are a great father!

Kicking this thing back up only to ask if anyone has some old-school autographs from the ballparks from when they were kids??? Do you have any pics of the you and the ballpark you went to?