Who's going to the National this weekend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awesome! I'll be there Saturday also and would love to meet up with fellow benchies. Will post my attire on the day of also.

Jason

Any feedback from those of you who went already? Would love to hear how it looks from anyone who went or is planning on going today.

My impressions from Thursday at the National~

Not nearly as big as year's past in Chicago. The area where they are housing the Olympic pavillion used to be all tables.

Plenty of people standing in line for wrapper redemptions.

Several dealers selling boxes, i.e. Dave & Adam's, Blowout, Atlanta, etc.

More dealers with dime and quarter boxes this year.

If someone could find the time to go to booth #508 Evolution Sports Marketing and check out their entire box of YSL's for cards that we need that would be great.

Noticed that at most of the concessions areas there is NO seating. Wasn't near the concession area by the autograph area when it was open so maybe they have some.

For all you people (like me) who like to search bargain boxes there is a booth right by the concession area where we are meeting that is "selling out". They have tonsof dime boxes. Don't know what is in them but they were getting a lot of traffic.

Any other questions, PLMK.

Thanks,
Melissa

I opted out of today. Traffic was insane getting home so I'll spend all day tomorrow at the show.

I'll be wearing a black sweater and khaki capris (tomorrow's my anniversary and me and the hubby are going to Gibson's for dinner after the show).

I'll be at the meeting spot at 2:00 p.m.

Thanks,
Melissa

Just got back. It is definitely smaller than years past. I found that a lot of people were not willing to deal. Even managed to find one dealer to insult me and my cards (yet still wanted them and my money). I did manage to sell a lot of stuff and there are a lot of people buying. The National has something for everyone. There is a ton of vintage. It's not my forte, so I just skim past those areas. If you have to time to sit and go through boxes you can find some pretty good deals. I managed to find a super rare Nomar and a jersey numbered card for another collection at the same booth. They were both in half off of marked price boxes and I picked them up for $11. As always, cash talks. So bring plenty and you can get what you want at the right price. I'll be back on Sunday trying to sell more and see if I can't pry a few cards away from dealers.

It's not too different from the Mounted Memories / Sun Times Show they have in Chicago twice a year. Lots of people selling wax. Didn't see too many bargain bins, but I must not looked hard enough or my price point may be too low.

The promotions are pretty good. Leaf already reeled me in. I'm thinking about buying/ripping 4 Tristar Obak boxes for the Ripken Jr. auto redemption. I'll be wearing an In-and-Out shirt with a beige Nike hat.

Jason

Great day at the National today, spent about five hours there looking through dime and quarter boxes. Something for everyone in those boxes, and some great deals if you dig deep enough. Found a '05 Sweet Spot Ryan Zimmerman RC in a 12/$1 box, and a '02 UD Fortyman Nomar parallel /40 in a dime box, among MANY, MANY other cards (came back with around 800 cards).

Also went today. Like most, I thought there were a lot of over-priced cards, but it did at least seem like you could find one dealer who wasn't on the same cards. Picked up the Heritage Michael Pineda rookie #d/299 from Topps, and a Pete Rose promo from Leaf. Otherwise, didn't spend much aside from these two:

Morneau2008UDPremier%252523d33.jpg

Weeks2007SweetSpot%252523d1.png

Went with a friend from fcb and he found one of the top cards on his George Kell wantlist. I would have bought it for him, but I was about $894 short of the $900 asking price...

Great day at the National today, spent about five hours there looking through dime and quarter boxes. Something for everyone in those boxes, and some great deals if you dig deep enough. Found a '05 Sweet Spot Ryan Zimmerman RC in a 12/$1 box, and a '02 UD Fortyman Nomar parallel /40 in a dime box, among MANY, MANY other cards (came back with around 800 cards).

What card # and year is the Nomar. I might have some interest in it.

Ooooh I am so jealous of all those dime and quarter boxes, I hope lots of people post all the deals they got in them. Hoyt ANY Forty Man/40 parallel would be a great deal in a dime box, much less an actual star, great pickup!
Richard

Ooooh I am so jealous of all those dime and quarter boxes, I hope lots of people post all the deals they got in them. Hoyt ANY Forty Man/40 parallel would be a great deal in a dime box, much less an actual star, great pickup!
Richard

In addition to the Nomar and Zimmerman cards I posted earlier, I also found a bunch of '99 Fleer Sports Illustrated cards in the same 12/$1 box that I found the Zimmerman RC in. I really like the design and photography of those '99 SI cards, but I can never seem to find them anywhere.

Also found a nice 1958 Topps Wally Post card in a quarter box. It's rare that you find a vintage card in one of those types of boxes.

Here's the full info on the Nomar:

2002 Upper Deck 40-Man Electric Rainbow #1176 Nomar Garciaparra CL /40

I do need that one. Let me know what kind of deal we can work out for it. Also managed to pick up a nice Polamalu Game Used Letter Patch.

In addition to the Nomar and Zimmerman cards I posted earlier, I also found a bunch of '99 Fleer Sports Illustrated cards in the same 12/$1 box that I found the Zimmerman RC in. I really like the design and photography of those '99 SI cards, but I can never seem to find them anywhere.

Also found a nice 1958 Topps Wally Post card in a quarter box. It's rare that you find a vintage card in one of those types of boxes.

Those 99 SI cards are terrific. One of my favorite sets. When you get a wantlist, send it my way, I still have a few dupes from that set and would be happy to help out.

My best finds at the show were vintage in a $0.50 box. Picked up over 200 cards from 1962, 1964, and 1967 and then the dealer gave me another 1/3rd off. Most were at least in VG-EX and there was even a 62 high number. Had a crease, but for $.35 or so, not a bad deal.

Made alot of newer set progress in those dime boxes over the last 2 days.

Scott

I got alot of cool stuff and met alot of great athletes I will post pics when I get back to AZ! amen to the dime and quarter boxes!!! Found alot of awesome stuff!