Why Do You Collect Who/What You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rarthur

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm sure there have been plenty of threads like this before but I am curious as to why people collect what/who they do. Just a for fun thread.

I'll start!

Brad Lincoln & Jason Knapp - Both went to regional High Schools where I have lived

Rich Harden - No real reason other than when I was a little younger and wanted to start a player collection. He had/has electric stuff and I saw potential so I started collecting him around 2004-2005.

Jiovanni Mier - In 2009 I wanted to start a collection of whoever the Astros took in the first round of the first year player draft. Mier was the choice and I hit eBay hard and now have some rarer pieces that really don't tend to show up on eBay (2009 Tristar Prospect Plus cards in particular)

2008 Donruss Threads TTM/IP Autos - Bought a box of 2008 Donruss Threads and among other things hit a Joe Jackson dual GU bat. Made me grow a liking for the set. One of my coolest TTM success was Carl Erskine who signed a 2008 Donruss Threads card along with lots of other stuff and a letter. I loved the look of this card signed so I started getting a few more. Still a long way to go!

Yearly Bowman Chrome Draft Autographs Sets - In 2009 I busted my first box of Bowman Draft and loved the auto set and wound up building the whole set. Continued it on with 2010 (still need Machado) and am now working on 2011. Plan on continuing this one for as long as I can!

Now your turn! :D

All my player focused collections were based mainly on the player's performance, other than maybe Steve Garvey, which was me copying my new friend after he moved into our neighborhood in 1977-78 timeframe. He moved from So. Cal. and was a big Dodger/Garvey fan and got me hooked as well.

I've collected a variety of players over the years to some extent, but nothing like Garvey and Frank Thomas, my two primary player collections current and past.

Gil Hodges
Al Oliver
Rod Carew
Willie Davis
Gary Sheffield
Greg Maddux
Albert Belle
Joe Carter
Fred McGriff
Juan Gonzalez
Mike Piazza

Fran Tarkenton
Ken Stabler
Marshall Faulk
Napoleon Kaufman

Karl Malone

to name a few...

I decided to collect Jim Thome about 10 years ago when he signed with my favorite team, the Phillies. I had always admired his incredible pure power with the Indians and thought he might have a shot at 500 home runs and the H.O.F. one day. I found out what a great person and class act he was and that sealed the deal. Still collecting his cards today.

Gary

I met Mickey Mantle in 1963 this being my one and only true baseball moment that set me on the path of sports card collecting. Today, I am a master set builder, I love the NY Yankees all my life because of that one meeting I had with Mickey. I also do NY Yankee team set building which I only stared recently. I do have choice players I have collected mostly HOF.

I began collecting Ichiro in his rookie season when I was 6 and as I grew up I realized what a daunting task it was going to be to continue collecting him with his limited number of cards and the overwhelming price of them. So in my search for someone new to collect I pulled a Miguel Cabrera Auto to 25 for Christmas and saw that as a good opportunity to begin a player collection and it has taken off from there.

I collect the Red Sox...mainly because the Bruins traded Bobby Orr! Oh yeah and a young outfield of Lynn, Rice, and Evans led the Sox to the world series too. After that I was hooked, I've been on the Sox "bandwagon" since.

Scott

I collect Trent Dilfer because I was living near Fresno when he was playing in college there. So I really began following him from his first college game. It turned out he happened to also be from the same area in California as me, is a big golfer (I used to golf more) and seems like a pretty good guy. I started off collecting him a little, then over the course of his first 2 or 3 years collected him more and more as I got sick of collecting Frank Thomas, who everybody collected at the time.

The Oakland A's was a pretty easy one...I started paying attention to baseball in 1988 and lived near the bay area, so the A's were more exciting than the Giants at that time. I've stuck with them ever since.

Richard

Jordan Zimmermann- I collect his cards because I went to college with him and played some intramurals with him. He has also sent me some memorabilia.

I collect Don Mattingly just because I thought he was the greatest player when I was growing up..
And started My yankees auto Project thought it would be cool to have an auto from everyplayer from the time I was around..