Would You Grade This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steelers8873

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello all,

I am not necessarily new to grading I have several submissions but not one with as much risk as this one. I have this '81 Topps Joe Montana RC and outside of it being slightly off centered, which was super common at this time, but still exists today lol, I have found no flaws on this card. I have looked it over with my loop I see no minor flaws and although the front is off centered the backs centering may cancel out what would be an otherwise excellent card. I submit these photos for just a general visual representation of the card but undestand it's just photos so just looking for opinions. I am sorry for the glare on the back shot there aren't white stains on the cards just a glare that particular photo was to just represent the back centering. Thank you for all input.

Very nice card! Getting it graded or not is a really tough question. I think the o/c factor is going to make this card a 6 or 7 so I would not expect a grade that wuld put the value into the stratosphere.

This card compares favorably to a 1964 Topps A.L. Bombers card that I have that is a PSA 6. Sharp corners, good color, no flaws on surface and o/c just like your Montana is. THe back of my card does not have the sharp colors your Montana does so I would guess this will come in at a 7.

I'd see if you have a LCS that does group gradings where the owner of the store gets a bunch of cards together from customers and sends them in a group submission. . If you can do that with an SGC group mailing you'll save a ot of money and SGC is considered to be the tougher grader on older cards.

Please let us know what you decide to do and what grade you get if you send it in.

How much do you have into it? PSA submission is $20 right now. The corners in your pic don't look bad but are also not sharp. I think it would get a PSA 5 or 6. Right now, a PSA 6 went for $102. I grade everything and I would grade this if I don't have a lot into it.

How much do you have into it? PSA submission is $20 right now. The corners in your pic don't look bad but are also not sharp. I think it would get a PSA 5 or 6. Right now, a PSA 6 went for $102. I grade everything and I would grade this if I don't have a lot into it.
Yeah I know it's hard to tell by the pics but top to bottom corners are all the same. I wish I was able to physically show the card but not possible. I would prefer not to remove the card for a pic as I may damage it.

Yeah I know it's hard to tell by the pics but top to bottom corners are all the same. I wish I was able to physically show the card but not possible. I would prefer not to remove the card for a pic as I may damage it.
Something else I noticed about this card is the surface looks flat and clean and doesn't have the surface bubbles from sun exposure that a lot of cards from this era has that causes them to grade lower.

I would grade it for a couple reasons.

1) most important is the card will be protected forever once encapsulated.
2) no one will be able to doubt authenticity

I would grade it, like Dashcol said, for authenticity. Also, encapsulation is nice, and the best protection.

I generally prefer grading vintage HOF cards, but I also like grading modern cards of HOF RC, or auto, or 1/1, or errors, or things like that which makes them rare and valuable.

This is a modern card, but it's not a junk wax era card. It's the RC of a HOF player, arguably, along with Brady, the greatest QB of all time.

So, I would definitely grade it, and one day pass it along to the next generation.

Appreciate your feedback and I do have 1 graded 1/1 I sent on and one I still need to send.

I would grade it, like Dashcol said, for authenticity. Also, encapsulation is nice, and the best protection.

I generally prefer grading vintage HOF cards, but I also like grading modern cards of HOF RC, or auto, or 1/1, or errors, or things like that which makes them rare and valuable.

This is a modern card, but it's not a junk wax era card. It's the RC of a HOF player, arguably, along with Brady, the greatest QB of all time.

So, I would definitely grade it, and one day pass it along to the next generation.

This is graded one