Oh No.......POSTAGE DUE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keeping this one alive....

another tip on PWEs put a piece of cereal box cardboard in the envelope to keep it rigid so the envelope doesn't curl around the toploader inside. This will keep it from getting hung up if it does go through a sorting machine.

According to my Post Master, PWE with a top loader always need the extra ounce stamp, even if the envelope is only 1 ounce. That is because it is considered rigid with the top loader enclosed. So you should always put 80 cents on a pwe with a top loader. However, if I just drop a 1 oz in the mail it usually goes through. But maybe it didn't go through if the receiver has to pay postage due.

Good to know guys.....29 cent stamps were the thing when I started TTM, must have been 1992....lots has changed in the last 22 years!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

I'll post this again. My tips on easy, SAFE PWE:

1) The 24 packs of Pepsi products have a thin, sturdy sleeve of cardboard in between the two layers of cans. I don't know about anyone else, but we drink a LOT of pop/soda in our house. Those sleeves have perforations at the ends. Tear them off, cut the cardboard lengthwise, and one half will fit EXACTLY inside a business sized PWE.

2) Masking tape or packing tape secures best. Scotch tape is messy. Always secure the cards by taping over the end of the case and to the cardboard.

3) I use a penny sleeve inside a semi-rigid. A semi-rigid protects quite well, and weighs less than a toploader.

4) Pay the extra 20 cents and mark the envelope "NON-MACHINABLE". A friend who works as a postmaster gave me this tip. The mail will avoid the machines that destroy PWEs. Mark it on front and back.

5) If you REALLY want extra security, go along the edges of the outside with clear packing tape. It adds a touch more weight, but makes it uber-secure.

These tips will work for 3-4 semi-rigids with 2-3 cards in each. Max of twelve cards can be sent this way cheaper than a padded envelope at $2.32. I have never had anyone complain from here or the other places I have traded at. When working on trading with a budget, or just one card for one card trades, why pay 10x more than the card is worth for shipping? Following these simple tips has never failed me.

Top loaders are semi-rigid. What's the difference? Are they the card-saver?

anglinomics has a point......well yes semi regids are the card saver, but I have noticed that the top loaders produced now are more flexible than the ones made in the past. I have some from about 10 years ago that are quite stiff and actrually hard to pry open to put the card in, and I have a bundle from 2 years ago and even a few new ones that have come in in trades that are quite flimsy. guess the demand is higher than supply so the company has to produce them faster therefore the quality is not a good or is the quality of the material used to make them of less quality??

have notice that many many many dealers put a $0.50 card in a top loader and now charge a bit more (for whatever reason) and now using a $hit ton more top loaders than ever before. hmmmm just one of the things that drives me crazy about card shops. my local shop would bust a case of tops loaders for his singles and then say I am out of ones for sale. I guess he just didn't want my $50.00 I was willing to spend. when I offered him a pile of 50 1 screw screwdowns for a bundle of 50 top loaders he declined?? WOW. in the past 2 years he has gotten away from selling anything under $10.00, I understand he has to make $$ but when that takes away from a % of your customers that just don't make sence. now he just does consignments and he is heavily into the memrobelia aspect of the business and I am now looking for a new card shop. problem is the nearest "shop" is 30 minute drive and not that good. oh well. guess I will start heading to the flea markets and looking for garage sales.

rant over, another 2 Lincoln heads spent.

good day all.

and another thing.......

have sent small pwe with 1 holder and wide envelope pwe with 2 holders and only put 1 forever stamp on it and have had nothing returned or the other end requesting reimbursement for due postage. (unless the wide pwe has more that 6 cards in it then of course I put 2 stamps)

Yes, the semi-rigid is the "Card Saver" series. Technically, yes, they topload, but have more flexibility than the normal toploader.

Another note: if you are looking for toploaders Steve, Wal-Mart. 50 packs are fairly cheap. If anyone needs more than that, I am sure I can make a deal with them. I have a few hundred from dealers putting a couple early 90s commons in them. Like I am going to use them to store my overproduction cards. I'm set building, not hauling.

I buy $.70 stamps from the post office when I go that way I have a book of them for future trades. I always tape the toploader to the envelope so it can't move around and write non machinable on it and do not bend and has been working for me
Trish

I buy $.70 stamps from the post office when I go that way I have a book of them for future trades. I always tape the toploader to the envelope so it can't move around and write non machinable on it and do not bend and has been working for me
Trish

My method exactly. If you write the non-machineable text in the "clear zone" at the bottom center of the envelope, it cannot be sorted by the machines as that is where the barcode would be applied by the sort machine.

But you still find a dinasore at the post office!! She saw the pwe with the do not bend on it....and when I requested a 70 cent stamp....u can't do it that way....I'll have to charge you the same 2.32 cent for the bubble envelopes....she finally stamp it for 70 cent and said as her parting shot....don't be suprised it comes back!! Best regards, David

Last edited:
I simple just ship my trades using Paypal paying only $1.93 for 3oz. It gives me peace of mind plus my partner gets a DC# to track it as well as me. I personally hate PWE but do accept it if the other party is willing to take responsibility for lost or damaged goods.

I simple just ship my trades using Paypal paying only $1.93 for 3oz. It gives me peace of mind plus my partner gets a DC# to track it as well as me. I personally hate PWE but do accept it if the other party is willing to take responsibility for lost or damaged goods.

i've had more issues with mailers than pwe.
i guess, to each his own :)

I got tired of guessing what my stuff weighs and with my wife doing more stuff with eBay and what I do with cards, it was worth investing in a little postal scale for like $15 and the guess work was over. We've probably saved enough to pay for the scale and we haven't embarrassed ourselves by not having enough postage on our shipments by doing this.

The whole point of my thread was to understand the difference between the 1 oz and 2 oz letter. If you ship multiple cards with cardboard inserts for protection, you are almost guaranteed to be in the 2 oz world ($0.70). I was really trying to prevent guys from getting letters in the mail that say "you owe 21 cents"!