1/1 Masterpiece dispute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I just sent this email below. Part of it is my fault for avoiding ebay and paypal, but I feel there was not full disclosure. I paid $75. Thoughts/opinions? This guy has great ebay feedback - I'm really surprised. It is regarding this card:

Jake Reed Masterpiece

Thank you for the freebies, great packaging, and backstory on the card.

Unfortunately the first thing I noticed about the card was the production damage. Ironically, I have a Flair Showcase card with the exact same issue listed on ebay right now, only it has two ridges instead of one. See it HERE

I did not think to ask about the condition considering you had listed it on ebay, and I would have expected the damage to be disclosed as I did in my listing. This damage dramatically affects the value of the card despite the fact that is the only one to exist.

I have two possible solutions:
1. Refund $37.50 to me via PayPal gift.
2. I'll return the card for a full refund so you can attempt to resell.

Or you can refuse. I don't have any recourse after avoiding ebay and PayPal.

I see there is a section for "item description" and it was left blank.
If it said mint, near-mint, etc. you could point that out, but since the seller didn't fill it in, they could always say the bidder should have asked.
That's not how I, as a seller, would have done it, but it doesn't look like he will be liable to give you a refund.
You can go under the assumption he'll be a good guy about it and maybe help you out, but it doesn't look like he has to refund your money.
Sorry that this happened.

Ok - heard back from him and he's willing to refund me in full. But I'm still debating what to do.

For you player collectors out there - what would you do? A player from the 90's who has few 1/1's, and this is one of the best out there. Unfortunately the only one that exists is damaged. Is $75 really worth it? I know it's my call, but in my shoes would you opt for keeping it or returning it?

Personally, I would accept the refund and put that money towards other cards.
It's great he came through for you!

I'm sorry to see that you received a 1/1 damaged,......... that's a big bummer.
I think that you gave him two options and he picked one,so go with it.

Good luck!

Luis

I just sent this email below. Part of it is my fault for avoiding ebay and paypal, but I feel there was not full disclosure. I paid $75. Thoughts/opinions? This guy has great ebay feedback - I'm really surprised. It is regarding this card:

Jake Reed Masterpiece

Thank you for the freebies, great packaging, and backstory on the card.

Unfortunately the first thing I noticed about the card was the production damage. Ironically, I have a Flair Showcase card with the exact same issue listed on ebay right now, only it has two ridges instead of one. See it HERE

I did not think to ask about the condition considering you had listed it on ebay, and I would have expected the damage to be disclosed as I did in my listing. This damage dramatically affects the value of the card despite the fact that is the only one to exist.

I have two possible solutions:
1. Refund $37.50 to me via PayPal gift.
2. I'll return the card for a full refund so you can attempt to resell.

Or you can refuse. I don't have any recourse after avoiding ebay and PayPal.

Can you tell me what the "ridges" that you speak of are? Scanned or pictured?
---
I really think you got a deal...a #1/1 bought offline and got freebies to boot.

They are just about impossible to see on a scan. On the Jake it goes through the "d" in Reed and through his left eye. From the top to the bottom. I got that Heath Shuler out of a pack back in the day and I always said about it that it "got caught in the rollers," not knowing how it really occurred.

Cosmetically the effect is like that of a print line. It's still a gorgeous card - love the purple foil all over the place. But every time I look at it I see the ridge first and then enjoy the foil.

Damn it, now I'm leaning toward keeping the stupid thing.

Cosmetically the effect is like that of a print line. It's still a gorgeous card - love the purple foil all over the place. But every time I look at it I see the ridge first and then enjoy the foil.

I label collectors that get upset at print lines/minor "cut lines", minor whitening on corners, minor chipping, etc as "prefectionist" (not saying you are) -- the guys that want an absolute mint card in ever aspect...you know the guys that will grill you on if it would grade Gem Mint. Obsessed print line hater = Donruss Cursade collectors!

Anyway, I bought a Brunell #1/1 last week that had some surface scratches and a minor circular dent on the front (you could see it in the scan, but not mentioned), but I was way more happy that I got it than the flaws.

You sound like me a decade ago, when I bought a Brunell 2000 Ultra Platinum #1/1 that had teeth marks (from the packaging process). I kept the card, but was mad as heck - feeling I got ripped off. In the end, for all my trouble, Fleer just sent me a "common" Brunell auto after they made me send it in to look at (of course, they said it was not replaceable).

Believe me, if you think $75 was a fair price, then keep it, it is a #1/1! :)

It's really sad because I would hope a "1 of 1" would be defect free.
I guess that falls back on the manufacturer for sure.
It's cool that he offered you a refund, but I would be hesitate considering I would never ever see the card again,..
I have some rarer cards, and for me some of them I see the defects, and others I know they are there, but I am happy just to have the card so i overlook them,..

Clint

jade - I look at your PC, then mine, and now back to yours. Your PC is the PC my PC could look like. It is at that moment that I realize I must keep this card.

Clint - I am so with you there. I even thought that with my Legacy. How could a high-end product like Flair Showcase let their Masterpieces go out with production damage? How hard is it to quality control 1/1's?

Ya know whats funny,
I have a friend that owns a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach I,..It's red with black strips,..Its a beautiful car and I would die just to own it,..but everytime he talks about it, or shows it off he always mentions the little ding in the lower left front fender,..You have to look hard to see it but its there.

Kind-of the same thing,..
Clint

jade - I look at your PC, then mine, and now back to yours. Your PC is the PC my PC could look like. It is at that moment that I realize I must keep this card.

Clint - I am so with you there. I even thought that with my Legacy. How could a high-end product like Flair Showcase let their Masterpieces go out with production damage? How hard is it to quality control 1/1's?

Very. They make ONE copy, but not one card at a time. They print on sheets, what do you do, destroy the whole sheet if one card gets a print line, a roller spec, a rough edge? Do you print more sheets until that card comes out perfect, what do you do with the extra copies? what if it was fine when it was made but a stray speck of iron from a machine somewhere in the printing/collating/packing process sticks to a roller, causing a line? How do you tell when a card is getting packed that it's caught in the edge of the pack as it gets sealed? How do you know which packs have the 1/1 when they are randomly distributed throughout the print run as they get packed?

The 1/1's, especially back then, were the ultimate chase. They were spokescards for the brand. You want them undamaged because they represent your company. If you have to print off three sheets, go through by hand and pick the best one of the three for each individual card, then destroy the leftovers, that's what you do.

Your other scenarios are irrelevant to my situation. But with those dangers then you make it a redemption.

Curse you for making me hijack my own thread! I meant it rhetorically!

It sounds like you want it, just cheaper. I can appreciate that since the defect was not disclosed, thus robbing you of the option to take it or leave it and it sounds like the seller is willing to take it back and try to resell it to someone less selective at his price.

If you want this card bad, it sounds like you'll have to accept it as is, otherwise it's going to someone else.

Given the rarity of those early 1/1s (they went quickly into personal collections never to be seen again), I can appreciate any player collector drooling over the ultimate pull, however, the market has softened for that early stuff enough and I suspect it will continue to as time passes. In the end, it's still as much a 1/1 as the 2011 1/1s are. If you are willing to pay $75 now for a Reed 1/1, then you'll probably regret letting this go later.

Keep it, it's only money.

It is a 1/1- keep it and don't be concerned with the damage. You san see in the pictures of the auction that the card isn't mint- It isn't the sellers fault, it is the only one out there. Keep it and don't try to blame the seller, it looks like the issues you are concerned with are from the manufacturer.
Congrats on the nice 1/1!

You have a good eye. I still cannot detect the damage on the scan even though I know where it is. Maybe I should turn my brightness up LOL