1989 Fleer Wax Box - Billy Ripken Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dont think so, I know back in '89 I opened my factory sealed set, just to see if it had that error card, of course it didnt.

Just be careful with those wax boxes, easy to reseal the packs as I found out this past summer. I bought a box and got burned, No Griffey, Ripken, R. Johnson, not even a Sheffield RC, I think the best card I got out of 36 packs was maybe Mark Grace lol...leaves me to beleive the packs were searched.

Although I don’t know how to tell, there is a number or letter on the box in the serial number. I remember in 1989 during the craze of that card dealers at shows would offer packs and advertised them as the boxes that contained the error. So the answer is yes but I am not sure how to know exactly.

Just be careful with those wax boxes, easy to reseal the packs as I found out this past summer. I bought a box and got burned, No Griffey, Ripken, R. Johnson, not even a Sheffield RC, I think the best card I got out of 36 packs was maybe Mark Grace lol...leaves me to beleive the packs were searched.

Searching and resealing was huge back them during this craze. I got lucky and bought two packs at a show and pulled one. I got greedy and bought a box from another dealer and when I got home there were none in the box and the packs were loosely sealed. It was clear they were searched.

Although I don’t know how to tell, there is a number or letter on the box in the serial number. I remember in 1989 during the craze of that card dealers at shows would offer packs and advertised them as the boxes that contained the error. So the answer is yes but I am not sure how to know exactly.

You are right, if you check ebay there are some auctions that list the serial numbers stating they were the "1st release" of the boxes...but be careful!, Who could resist opening these back in the day to try to pull the card, best advice is to just buy the card on ebay itself for under $10.00

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to buy any. I think I have a partial box around here somewhere. I haven't opened any wax in years and got a bad case of withdrawl. Seeing what boxes sell for I think I'll just go ahead and rip em.

It's possible you got an unsearched box but certainly highly against the odds to not get even one of the key cards.