2012 Topps info sheet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

worldwideed

MVP
5.00 star(s)
These don't usually come out till October at the earliest.

Base design in decent but not as good as the last 2 years, but good news, not facsimile auto. Us TTMers are forever grateful.

The rest of the product, ho hum, AUtos, GUed, & Letter Patches, same as every year. I'm getting very bored with the new products. I've bought a box of series 1 each of the last 2 years but will probably pass in 2012.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/...eries-1-baseball-hobby-jumbo.html#post1590777

Lose the borders already! I seriously wish Topps would start looking at designs being used by BBM, Futera or something. Just stop being so boring! It's almost like they're forever trying to appeal to some conservative, mainstream customer that doesn't exist.

I like that they are doing another "Diamond Giveaway" type thing since that adds a lot of value, but they don't mention a Gold/2012 parallel anywhere...makes me worry.
Richard

Thanks for sharing, this may show my age but I miss the days of seeing what the new issue of Topps looked like when I opened the pack for the first time.

Now it's not even September....

I'm not a big fan of the 2012 design, either. There's something I like about the 2009 design more than any of the past decade but I wish they'd do a colored border like in 02, 03, etc.

I'll be rethinking my Luke Hughes collection if he is featured in 2012 Topps. All that gold bordered, black bordered, platinum, etc, etc is too much for me!

Anyone find it strange they are doing the "Golden Giveaway" but it doesn't say anything about gold borders on the box? You would think the gold cards would be part of the gold theme.

Are there not going to be gold cards #/2012? Big disappointment for me if there isn't. Like the base design though.

Dennis

im kinda like ehhhh who cares. the only thing that will be 2012 about the box im sure will be the price. i still find it outrageously funny they say ages 6 and up on every box. Topps has too many gymics and to much junk in every outlay anymore. and their products dont come close to the look of the UD products that in my opponion outshine Topps in every turn.

not to mention has there not been a year produced where Mays, Mantle, Bench and DeMaggio hasn't been over produced and over done?

Last edited:
Now only SIX 1/1's of each base card! It was fun for a brief moment, but the limited parallels and inserts are just getting old now. The pot just keeps getting bigger and bigger each year with the potential "pulls". Pretty soon the consumer won't be happy with any base cards. They'll all have to be parallels and inserts.

I still have not seen a majority of the previous 1/1s ever surface (for my player). Maybe they got tucked away in collections after being pulled, but these days most of the limited cards hit ebay as fast as the owner can get the item listed.

And what is with the gold theme anyway?

Today I was at a card shop and was excited to be looking through some 68-70 cards and then came across a nice stack of NRMNT 1976 Topps. I don't get that feeling anymore from new cards.

I picked up one of these Cuellar cards, but nicer. I have it already, maybe several, but it just looked so good. The price was nice too...25 cents! Now that is a find in my eyes.

http://baseball1976.blogspot.com/2009/12/1976-topps-285-mike-cuellar.html

Now only SIX 1/1's of each base card! It was fun for a brief moment, but the limited parallels and inserts are just getting old now. The pot just keeps getting bigger and bigger each year with the potential "pulls". Pretty soon the consumer won't be happy with any base cards. They'll all have to be parallels and inserts.

I still have not seen a majority of the previous 1/1s ever surface (for my player). Maybe they got tucked away in collections after being pulled, but these days most of the limited cards hit ebay as fast as the owner can get the item listed.

And what is with the gold theme anyway?

Today I was at a card shop and was excited to be looking through some 68-70 cards and then came across a nice stack of NRMNT 1976 Topps. I don't get that feeling anymore from new cards.

I picked up one of these Cuellar cards, but nicer. I have it already, maybe several, but it just looked so good. The price was nice too...25 cents! Now that is a find in my eyes.

http://baseball1976.blogspot.com/2009/12/1976-topps-285-mike-cuellar.html

I agree. I'm young but I'd take vintage over modern any day, and base over inserts/parallels in most cases. I enjoy completing base sets rather than trying to trade for the high-dollar "hits". I hope to never see the day that base cards become known as "trash" but unfortunately I might..

I agree. I'm young but I'd take vintage over modern any day, and base over inserts/parallels in most cases. I enjoy completing base sets rather than trying to trade for the high-dollar "hits". I hope to never see the day that base cards become known as "trash" but unfortunately I might..

Unfortunately, I think we're already in an age where base cards are being considered "trash". I've never seen it personally, but I've heard numerous stories of people going into card shops, opening high-dollar packs, and just leaving the base cards on the counter and walking out the door with their "hits".

I'm young as well, and although I enjoy getting newer inserts/parallels for my various player/team collections, nothing beats digging through vintage cards at a card show or even just going through ones I already have, I still get a huge kick out of it.

If Topps is indeed getting rid of the Topps Golds next year, it's a huge mistake on their part. They seem to be really popular and are one of the very few things that have stood the test of time within the last decade.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think we're already in an age where base cards are being considered "trash". I've never seen it personally, but I've heard numerous stories of people going into card shops, opening high-dollar packs, and just leaving the base cards on the counter and walking out the door with their "hits".

I'm young as well, and although I enjoy getting newer inserts/parallels for my various player/team collections, nothing beats digging through vintage cards at a card show or even just going through ones I already have, I still get a huge kick out of it.

If Topps is indeed getting rid of the Topps Golds next year, it's a huge mistake on their part. They seem to be really popular and are one of the very few things that have stood the test of time within the last decade.
A lot of the high rollers at my local hobby store.....sell the base and most of the inserts back to the store....they only keep the autos or high end inserts. Best regards, David